Author Topic: Spotting Scope Recommendations  (Read 1120 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Spotting Scope Recommendations
« on: April 26, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »
I am in need of a spotting scope to see my bullet holes at 100 yards. Man it is confusing. I could always spend $2000.00 and get a Swarovski. But I was thinking of $200-00 to $400.00. What do you folks have and are prepared to recommend.

Thanks

Mc

Offline cgturner7

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Spotting Scope Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 10:26:13 AM »
Nikon spotting scopes are excellent.  So are Kowa (unheard of name but excellent optics). 

Remember that the larger the objective lense the more light is allowed in and the easier it will be to see your bullet holes.  Also a fixed power eyepiece will have clearer image.  Variable power eyepieces are more convenient but tend to get fuzzy at higher powers. 

Angled eyepieces are easier to look through but straight-through eyepieces are easier to use.  Try a few to see which you prefer.

If possible, take the scopes outside to test view.  Images will be very different in sunlight than storelight.

Good luck.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:27:07 AM »
I don't think there is anything in the $200 range that will get the job done from the ones I've seen, you're better off just using your rifle's scope. To get a really worth while one you need to move into the $400-$500 range. At that level there really are no bad ones. I use a Bushnell Elite 20-60x80mm personally.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline WyrTwister

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »
I am in need of a spotting scope to see my bullet holes at 100 yards. Man it is confusing. I could always spend $2000.00 and get a Swarovski. But I was thinking of $200-00 to $400.00. What do you folks have and are prepared to recommend.

Thanks

Mc

I have a Bushnell that I bought used .  I can see .223 holes in paper at 100 yards .

Under good lighting conditions , .30 caliber holes at 200 yards , but not .223 holes .

So , it depends on what caliber you are shooting and lighting conditions .

The Kiowa is said to be a good value , I do not have one . 

Do some google searches for used scopes , for sale , by bird watchers .

Be aware that these scopes are  sometimes sold w/o the eye piece & you buy which ever eye piece you want , seperately .

God bless
Wyr

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 01:45:21 PM »
All the more reason to shoot a .45-70! You can get by with a cheaper spotting scope as the holes are much easier to see. :)

Offline digger658

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »
No reason to look any further then Wallymart.........Leupold Windriver 15-45X60 $266.

.223 bullet holes at 200 yd. no problem.

Your welcome.
My momma always said "What a difference 24 hrs. makes".

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 02:54:09 PM »
Thanks all ;D

Mc ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 03:11:49 PM »
Mc,

Check out the Celestron Ultima 65 and 80, I have the 80, it's more scope than you'll get for at least twice the money. ;) It's $175-$200 here in the states.

Tim

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f23/celestron-ultima-80-spotting-scope-12323/

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106816&highlight=Celestron+Ultima+80
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 06:30:43 PM »
I like Bang Ow's solution best, those 45 caliber holes can almost be seen without a scope!

Roudy

Offline jgalar

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 02:07:37 AM »
I have a Swift Scout that works fine for .22 at 100. I don't remember what I paid, but think it was around $140. The scope is armored, but not waterproof.

http://www.swift-optics.com/products/sporting/spotting/700t

Do a search for best prices - I bought mine from a large camera shop.

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 02:56:40 PM »
http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-20-60x60-blackhawk-spotting-scopes.html
Can see 38 holes @ 300yds with just the 40X.  45 holes @ 500yds with 60X and no mirage.  A friend liked mine so much he bought two
Regards
John Boy

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 06:12:07 PM »
NO scope on earth has no mirage at 60x and a 60mm lens is not really enough even with absolutely top rated optics for 60x except at mid day with bright sunlight. Dunno who you're trying to kid but ain't no way that scope can do what you're claiming.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 06:13:29 PM »
Them Ruskies musta figured a way to negate the laws of physics!! ::)

Tim

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 09:34:24 PM »
Mirage is not a condition in a scope but something a high power scope can see.

There are conditions that produce no mirage, mirage is created by heat waves which can be seen with a high power scope. These heat waves will distort the image, because thes waves are dynamic. Heat rising from a hot barrel will cause mirage.

Bench rest shooters use heat shields on top of their barrels to keep down distortions from hot barrels. A simple strip of white plastic taped to the length of the barrel will do a good job.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 09:29:24 AM »
Well I ordered the Celestron 60X-80 mm scope that Quick recommended and for which there were glowing testimonials abounding. $175 U.S.

I'll post my evaluation after I test it out.

( I think it will be good enough for lunar exploration, we'll see)

Mc

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 11:14:42 AM »
Hi Bang OW:

I don't need anymore reasons to shoot my 45-70 than I already have. It's a fun gun to shoot(Marlin) and I am waiting for the opportunity to buy another,  a Handi in 45-70, but Handi's are scarce in Canuckistan. And no cross-border deals can be made or those involved will end up breakin' large rocks into small ones. So I just have to wait.

Mc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »
if all those hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens and felons have come up north into the USA from Mexico (and Cuba years ago) how come we can't legally get one little old used 45/70 Handi into Canada? What do they think law abiding citizens are going to do, convert a single shot sporting rifle into a machine gun? I am sure the criminals are not even slowed down in getting guns in or into Canada....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 02:21:43 PM »
MSPRet, I think you're absolutely right. I have been to places on the the U.S. Canada border that you could tow the Queen Mary across in daylight and no one would be the wiser. But the anti's got a foot-hold and now long guns have to be registered. But it's not just the Canadian government, the U.S. has put all this gun stuff on a restricted list so U.S. companies can not ship to Canada--------------not even scopes or small gun parts unless a tome of paper-work is done.

I guess since 9/11 allot have things have changed.

Mc

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »
... and no mirage
Greybeard, maybe it should have been better stated ... and when there is no mirage related to range conditions.  When there is bright sunlight, high temperatures and wind, this scope picks up the mirage (as any scope will) and at 500yds, even backing down to 40 - 50X ... the ring numbers are fuzzy and the holes are hard to see.  Without mirage, the holes can be seen.  If you don't believe the claim ... buy one and see for yourself

At 600yds and no spotter, I have to drive down to the target and look for myself... in any weather conditions.  Considering that the majority of the shooters are not firing much past 200-300yds,at best, with the H&R ... for a hundred twenty bucks, it's a darn good scope. 

PS:  In a couple of weeks, my Buffalo Classic will get it's Virgin Flight of black powder reloads at Homer, the steel buffalo at the Ridgeway Range in PA ... who is standing out there at 1000 yards.  Wish me luck! And yes, even at 60x: 45 ft @ 1000 yds ... the scope won't do me any good

quickdtoo, the Barska's are made in China.
Regards
John Boy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 04:03:34 PM »
quickdtoo, the Barska's are made in China.

And that's gonna make a real difference!

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 07:22:24 PM »
My cheapo Bushnell is good for .17 holes at 100 yards, .223 holes at 200 yards if the air is quiet.  Afternoon heat shimmer can make the holes at 200 yards tuff to see.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
New Spotting Scope
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 05:32:37 AM »
I tried out my new Celestron Ultima 80 spotting scope at the range yesterday. Works like a charm. It was a very good deal for $175.00 plus $24.00 shipping. I highly recommend it!

Thanks for your recommendation Quick!

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Re: New Spotting Scope
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 05:42:58 AM »
You're welcome, glad you like it!!

Tim