Author Topic: A Rational Voice from Texas....  (Read 330 times)

TM7

A Rational Voice from Texas....
« on: April 27, 2007, 01:15:24 AM »
The Virginia Tech tragedy may not lead directly to more gun control, but I fear it will lead to more people control.  Thanks to our media and many government officials, Americans have become conditioned to view the state as our protector and the solution to every problem.  Whenever something terrible happens, especially when it becomes a national news story, people reflexively demand that government do something.  This impulse almost always leads to bad laws and the loss of liberty.  It is completely at odds with the best American traditions of self-reliance and rugged individualism....Ron Paul

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2007/tst042307.htm

Bill of Rights or Bill of Maybes.........TM7

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A Rational Voice from Texas....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »
TM7, To a large extent I must agree with you.  But I must also call your attention to an incident that occurred here in Texas several years ago.  You do recall the incident in a Luby's Restaurant in Kileen,Texas on October 16, 1991.  Up until the recent shooting at Virginia Tech, it was the largest tragedy shooting in the United States, 23 people killed, 20 wounded.

Among the folks dinning at the restaurant when the shooting took place was Susan Gratia who lost both parents, and narrowly escaped loosing her life. As I understand it, Susan was an accomplished pistol shooter, but as a result of the law at the time, was unarmed.  After the shooting Susan set out on a venture to prevent similar situations in the future.  She spoke to everyone that would listen, including both the US Senate and Congress.  Susan later ran for, and was elected as a Representative in the Texas Legislature.  Representative Susan Gratia-Hupp was an active voice for concealed carry in this state, and has continued to support concealed carry in every state.

Keep in mind, there are many young and bright minds enrolled at Virgina Tech.  Shortly they will be entering every area of the work force, and possibly government.  Hopefully, there will be those that see this as a preventable situation had someone been in a position to stop the gunman, and perhaps they, as a survivor, will undertake the effort to get laws changed for the better. We can only pray that the rational minds prevail.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A Rational Voice from Texas....
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 08:06:29 AM »
THE FOLLOWING IS NOT P. C.
Both of ya'll have good points ! Many ( way to many ) look to the govt for support , guess the govt. is like a parent !
to them , the problem is the govt. is playing parent with them ( keep them happy they will reelect me ) !
The only way govt. can show it is doing anything is pass laws demanded by the people ( the loud ones ) ! Now I'm a parent and leting go ( giving up control ) is really hard ! So we can see the problem govt. likes control , some people like to be controled ! a match made in heven right , then us independent cusses come along and mess up the whole shooting match !
We need to speak up , some are saying a gun killed many at tech. we should demand the news get it right - a student used a gun , a thug used a gun etc.
I believe something should be done , something needs to be controlled not a gun , but the mental paitent who used the gun !
but the gun dosen't vote and the mental paitent might
vote ! ( that would explain some elections )
the kids getting out of school and into the work force have in many cases been brain washed for 16 - 18 years of school , lets all of us take one out and teach them to hunt , shoot, fish , take care of themselves , be independent and vote !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !