Author Topic: Sizing  (Read 748 times)

Offline totallycustom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sizing
« on: April 27, 2007, 08:07:09 AM »
I am looking at getting started casting and reloading for my 45/70. 

Do all home cast bullets need to be sized through a sizing die before loading? Or can I just cast them , lube the good ones and load?

-TC-
-TC-

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Sizing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:15:55 AM »
depends on the mold. Some will be to big to chamber. Most lee molds drop bullets that will work as cast.
blue lives matter

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »
Alot of shooter's do not size their bullets.  You can get different molds that drop different sized bullets.  You can even vary the drop diameter by changing your alloy.  The funny thing about cast bullets is that you just do not know what is going to work until you try it.  Tom.
Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 06:20:33 PM »
i use lee tumble lube bullets, and run every one thru a lee sizer.I use a 6 cavity mold, and find that ever so often you get oversized bullets, either from not gripping the mold handles the same every time or what not.doesn't take a lot of time, and the good bullets just run thru with little pressure, but you'll find a few that are tight! a few got by me last night casting, and would not go thru the sizer,and had to drive them back out.the lee sizer is very inexpensive and is a cheap way to keep problem bullets culled out.
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 01:12:50 AM »
.the lee sizer is very inexpensive and is a cheap way to keep problem bullets culled out.

I have several, as it's a quick and easy way to ream them to custom diameters.

I've noticed too, the variation in as-cast size.  It would be an interesting method of sorting - to see if sizing a little or sizing a lot made ANY difference in accuracy.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jgalar

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 03:28:38 AM »
A Lee sizing die and lube is only $13 at Midway. Its around $25 for a custom sized one from Lee. At those prices there isn't any reason not to size.