Author Topic: First post - .35 Whelen suggestions  (Read 1005 times)

Offline jmack

• Trade Count: (0)
First post - .35 Whelen suggestions
« on: April 28, 2007, 05:06:12 AM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post, and it's gonna be a doozie. I've only been hunting for a few years now, and didn't really enjoy my first deer rifle (.270 Remington 700). The round was good, I just didn't care for the sloppy action. That's why I'm getting a Handi rifle! Anyways, I've been attracted to the .338-06, but it would cost me a fortune to either have a barrel rebored, or ordered from the T/C custom shop. My local gun dealer told me he could get me a .35 Whelen within a week, and I've fallen in love after researching it a bit. I know there have been some problems with ammunition, and I don't know squat about reloading. Has anyone had any experience with the Nosler ammo? Or has anyone heard if Remington or Federal fixed theirs? Would it be more cost effective in the long run to reload my own? A box of 20 Remington cartridges go from $25.00 - $30.00, and I saw earlier that 30 .358 bullets go for about the same... Also, I've never actually handled one of these rifles. The fit of the wood stock doesn't look to great to me. Would it be better to get one of the Choate monte carlo synthetic stocks? I know recoil will probably be a bear, and I intend on putting a recoil pad on it. Would it do well to have the barrel ported or a muzzle brake installed? Is the recoil manageable enough to not justify the gross increase in muzzle blast? I like the idea of the permanent internal muzzle brake, but it states you'd lose about 1 1/2" in effective barrel length. Would this decrease MV or accuracy too much from the 22" barrel? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: First post - .35 Whelen suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 05:30:08 AM »
Welcome to GBO! I wouldn't get too excited about getting a Whelen, it's been discontinued, unless your dealer knows someone that has one, it's not likely to be available at a distributor. If you can find one, there are other sources for ammo, Federal and Conley as well as Nosler's 3 offerings. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 05:36:28 AM »
Welcome to GBO. As Tim said if you can find one then all the better,
I personally do not have any experience with the Whelen, and if I am not mistaken do not remember anyone trying the Nosler ammo in it. Also I believe Federal just did start production back up on the Whelen this year. It did seem like most problems with the Whelen Handi was with Remington ammo if memory serves me correctly, but a slight headspace problem may have been the culprit too.
As for reloading, I would say yes by looking at the components. I don't know where you seen only 30rds of .35cal bullets for that much, but even 100ct bag of 200gr Remington Core-Lokts are around $20, and you can get Speer Hot Cores, 50ct, for around $15 or so.
At the cost of factory ammo, I would definitely consider it.
Almost all stocks are swappable, so no problem there. Depends on your personal preference.
I'll let someone else take the rest.

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 05:52:40 AM »
If you're dead set on a 35 Whelen, you could get a .357Mag barrel from H&R as an accessory barrel and have it rechambered to 35 Whelen for about $100.  The 1:18¾" twist will stabilize up to 250gr round nose bullets, I have one that's rechambered to 35 Remington, it shoots the heavier bullets just fine. That would require you to buy an SB2 rifle to send the frame in for fitting of a 357 barrel, a good option to have 2 barrels for the frame, like maybe a 223 for the other barrel!! ;D

As for the brake, unless you're very recoil sensitive, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you like wearing hearing protection which will be required if you value your hearing, along with the redirected muzzle force comes the sound too. I would opt for a mercury recoil reducer in the stock bolt hole along with a Limbsaver recoil pad. I've shot my 35 Whelen RMEF from the bench a lot with the factory pad and no weight in the stock, it's not too bad, but I do wear a Past shoulder pad, the weight and better recoil pad would be the way to go over the brake in my opinion.

Tim

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:00:31 AM »
Thats a cool idea I didn't think about. Plus you would have factory sights already installed. Kind of a nice little bonus  8)

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 06:04:49 AM »
I've reloaded the Nosler BT's 225 grainers at about 2600 fps with nice results and excellent accuracy.  The barnes TSX 225 grainers are the sweet stuff though, I've got them at just over 2800 fps, I think Quick did a bit faster with his longer barrel.  I found minimal difference in recoil using a laminated stock or the varmint stock.  Recoil is stout but not unmanageable.  The whelen truly shines to the handloader, in money, power, and accuracy.  You can even handload pistol bullets in it for plinking!  If you get one I don't think you'll be disappointed.  My 2 cents.
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 07:01:32 AM »
As Matt said, the 35 Whelen is a handloaders dream, it would be a good reason for you to get started handloading, the sky's the limit for ammo options if you do. My RMEF with the 26" barrel shoots the same 225gr TSX load as Matt's at 2895fps, both of our loads are at or above 338 Win Mag velocities for 225gr bullets.  ;D

Tim

Offline Coffee_Boy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 08:41:13 AM »
I like the thinking outside the box on the .357 conversion, Quick.  Do you think the same could be done with the 26" .38-55 barrel?  Do you know whether they will fit that one to my SB-2 frame?

TYVM

Offline jmack

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:50:17 AM »
Yeah, it's a shame they've discontinued this rifle. My gunsmith told me yesterday though that he has a source with 7 of them right now. 6 if you subtract the one he's ordering for me. Somebody must have hidden a few away. Any recommendations as to what power scope to use with the Whelen? I love the fixed power scopes, but this caliber seems too long for 4x, and 6x is too much for brush hunting. Should I just stick with a 3-9x variable? A 4-12x? Also, what would you guys suggest as good reading for a beginner reloader?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 10:01:07 AM »
jmack

As for glass a 2x7 or 3x9 will work well depending on the shot range . and for the new reloader take a look at this thread , will give you some good starting info .

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,99824.0.html

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 10:02:22 AM »
I like the thinking outside the box on the .357 conversion, Quick.  Do you think the same could be done with the 26" .38-55 barrel?  Do you know whether they will fit that one to my SB-2 frame?

TYVM

The 28" 38-55 barrel has a bore of about .379"-.380", way too large to shoot .358" bullets in, the 38-55 target uses the same SB2 frame as any Handi/Ultra.

Yeah, it's a shame they've discontinued this rifle. My gunsmith told me yesterday though that he has a source with 7 of them right now. 6 if you subtract the one he's ordering for me. Somebody must have hidden a few away. Any recommendations as to what power scope to use with the Whelen? I love the fixed power scopes, but this caliber seems too long for 4x, and 6x is too much for brush hunting. Should I just stick with a 3-9x variable? A 4-12x? Also, what would you guys suggest as good reading for a beginner reloader?

That's good news!! I have a 2.8-10x44 Simmons Aetec on mine, but a good 2-7x or 3-9x would be all that's needed for any big game cartridge like the Whelen. I've hunted deer and elk for the last 25yrs with a 2-7x Leupold, most of the time it's set on 2x, great field of view for those quick jump shots in brush, very seldom use 7x cept maybe on one or two occasions or during sight-in which isn't very often, I don't remember the last time I had to adjust it.

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 10:25:52 AM »
jmack

Here is another good place fot the new reloader .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 10:51:51 AM »
This DVD should help you immensely..https://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=store&page=item&stock_num=0095DVD

As to scopes....you can buy cheap scopes and hope they don't fail..or you can pay up front and get a good one...If you have the money..I suggest buying a Leupold or a Mueller...for Leupold...either a VX-1 or a VX-2...I own several of the VX-1's and a couple of the VX-2's and VX-3's they are worth every penny I spent...I have them set up in Quick release rings and move them between rifles..I personally would go for the 4x12 VX-1..4x works fine for up close shots...and the 12x works fine for the longer shots..They cost more than some of the Bushnell's & Trasco's but they are worth it..http://www.leupold.com/products/products_highlights.asp.......While I haven't owned this paticular scope...http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU31044IGR.html I probably will very soon..I have to scope my youngest sons 243 Elite..& this will be what goes on his......I've owned a couple of the Mueller's and they are top notch scopes as well...The eye relief is more critical with them over the Leupolds..but as long as your not crawling the stock you should be ok with them...I just got one of their Tactical 8.5x25 and they are bright & clear...This would make for fast acquisition with the illuminated dot & #4 German cross hairs...They are more expensive than some of the cheaper quality scopes that will be recommended..but IMHO..I can say this ...Don't scrimp on your optics...it doesn't pay in the long run..

PS:....Welcome to GBO...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »
jmack, Welcome aboard the Handiholic Express buddy, now that that's over:
CONTACT YOUR DEALER RIGHT AWAY!!! If he has a source for 7 .35 Whelen's ask him if any of them are the original 26" barrels and tell him you would prefer the 26" barrel over the 22" if possible, if not then take the 22" barrel and be thankful. I like Quick have a 26" Whelen barrel and it is great. The newer ones brought out recently have been 22". Either is a great gun but I and most, if not all, would prefer the 26" over the 22" given the choice. Also ask him to see if he can get you an ejector barrel instead of an extractor barrel, both the 26" length and/or the ejector will add considerably to the value and desirability of the barrel and a 26" ejector Whelen barrel (all 26" Whelen barrels have ejectors) could be sold in a moments notice here and be traded for any other H&R barrel out there, perhaps even 2 for 1 if the deal was right. Best of luck, I am sure you will like the .35 Whelen, I like mine and like Quick I have had a .357 Mag barrel rechambered to .35 Remington and it's a beauty also....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jmack

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 11:16:15 AM »
Sorry guys, but they're all the 22" barreled versions. I'll take what I can get though. And thanks for all the help, but now I gotta get back to reading the reloading posts...

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 01:30:06 PM »
My 35 Whelen has never given me any problems yet, and recoil isn't bad at all. You can install the Choate Varmint stock if it bothers you, it really helped my 45-70 with recoil.

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 06:27:33 AM »
Lee's anniversary kit is a great way to get started into handloading for an affordable price

linky:  http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?TabID=0&category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=lee+anniversary
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 08:57:36 AM »
After you secure your Whelen barrel, would you turn your source on to the rest of us doing without? ;)
Thanks,
Don

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
I lucked into one of the 96 RMEF 26 in Whelens.  If you can call $325 luck.  But everything I've ever pulled the trigger on has died, and rapidly.  I shoot the 200 gr.  Hornady RN or the 225 Speers.  At 2600 FPS, these work great on the Alabama deer I hunt.  And for fun, you can't beat a cast handgun bullet over 10-12 gr of Unique.  My kid and some of his buddies think this is the greatest thing since the 357 Handi.

Offline jmack

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 03:23:01 AM »
Alrighty, if any of you are also jonesing for a Whelen, then give Mike Wright a call at: Lock-Stock-&-Barrel (903) 982-5294 724 CR44850, Blossom, TX 75416

Offline Coffee_Boy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 03:14:53 PM »
opt for a mercury recoil reducer in the stock bolt hole

Please, do tell more, Tim, for those of us who know not of this.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »
The 7/8"x 5" 16oz C&H mercury recoil reducer fits fine in the stock bolt hole of any of the wood stocks, it works better than a lead "dead mule" weight in the stock and weighs less, I've used both. I put a leather pad on the front of the MRR to cushion it against the stock bolt, cut some PVC pipe so it fills the gap behind the MRR to the recoil pad, use a ¼"x4" fine thread bolt to install and remove it thru the PVC pipe. Put a wrap or two of electrical tape around the MRR and PVC pipe so it doesn't rattle in the stock. ;)

Tim

http://www.mpcsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=245

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 06:15:30 AM »
JMACK this is an FYI announcement NO CHARGE
at gunbroker.com single shot rifles page 8 is a handi 35 whelen , best i remember (3min. ago )
around $225.00
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.