Author Topic: What .22 auto pistol do you guys like?  (Read 952 times)

Offline sparkysteve

• Trade Count: (0)
What .22 auto pistol do you guys like?
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:23:59 PM »
I'm looking into buying a .22 auto pistol.  I'm torn between the new Ruger 22/45 MKIII and the Browning Buckmark.  I'd like it in stainless and fiber optic sights.  I guess I'll have to go to the gun shop and see what feels better.  And see which one has an easy safety for a lefty to use.  A friend of mine is a lefty and shoots a Buckmark, but I like the Ruger looks better.  Does anyone know if the mag release can be switched on either one?  Just curious what you guys prefer.  Thanks
Ruger 10/22, Ruger GP100 .357, Marlin 336 .35 Rem, NEF Handi Rifle .223, Remington 7600 .30-06, Browning BPS 12 ga, Remington 870 12 ga, Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: What .22 auto pistol do you guys like?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 05:01:23 PM »
 :) i would suggest the buckmark but i do really like ruger  it just does not fit my hand personally but thats just me. between the two makers they account for the majority of my firearm purchases so i cant say anything negative about either one but if i were limited to browning or ruger for like modeled firearms browning is clearly better.

Offline abner

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »
Hello

I have several .22 rimfire pistols, here are a few. I like the S&W Model 41 the best, but the other I have work well too. I guess I just leaned to live wit the mag release on the wrong side.

Have a great day

Joe

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:00:02 AM »
I have a Ruger MK II that I really like, it has the heel mag release so that is not an issue.  The safety is not really usable by a lefty with the handgun in a firing grip but I just take the safety off as I bring the handgun out and keep my finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot.  As far as a reversible mag release, I don't know if that is possible on the 22/45 or not.  I just use my trigger finger to press the mag release button on pistols.  I really don't think it makes for any slower reloads than using a reversed mag button, as I have tried it both ways on handguns with a reversible mag release.  I have no experience with a Buckmark but I have been real satisfied with my Ruger, go to the gun shop and handle them both and see which fits you better and go from there.  Good shooting

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 04:24:46 PM »
I don't think you will find a .22 auto pistol with a left-hand (or even ambidextrous) safety. Just handle them all and see what fits, and use your right hand to work the safety, because that's all there is.

Like LEO, I have no problem with popping out magazines with my trigger finger, from my Ruger Mk III, Ruger P-90, and Llama  MKIII . A reversed magazine release could be a problem if someone else fires your pistol. I have a heel release on two auto pistols, which I kinda like. Except in an emergency, I don't like dropping a magazine in the dirt. However, these are older pistols, and that sort of catch isn't currently fashionable, so it's not even an option. Style is everything, like serrations on a knife blade.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »
  The best by far semi auto 22lr pistol i've ever owned or shot is an original High Standard Military Victor!  I still have it, because all the others i've owned or shot have not measured up to it...

I can't tell you how many pistol matches i've won with it, and also how much meat it has put in my freezer!!  I remember one time i harvested 33 rabbits with it in one day alone...

DM

Offline zermatt7

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »
Take a look at the new Walther with the longer barrel...My brother got one with both the laser and the high mounted red dot. He loves it.

At the local gun range the owner told me it is by far his most popular rental gun, and alot of people end up buying one.

Sig Mosquito also feels great for a lefty, I've heard they have had some quality control issues...Which is really odd for a Sig !

Its not a semi auto, but the Taurus in 17hmr is also a nice lefty gun...Looks like a smaller Colt Python and is ALOT less $$$ than a Colt .22 Diamondback.

Good Luck

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »
zermatt77 makes some very good suggestions but i would NOT recommend any Taurus just do a little reading on the other Taurus related topics / forums or own one and you will know what i mean and yes i do know from experience . superdown