Author Topic: 243 progress  (Read 880 times)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
243 progress
« on: April 29, 2007, 06:56:21 AM »
Well I finally got around to playing with the 243 again,and I made some progress. I was getting 3 in the same hole,and 2 flyer's so I kept the brass separate that made the same hole ,and weighed them. Much to my surprise they all weighed the same ( within .1 of a grain.
I then loaded the 3 up again and they shot in the same hole again,2 more reloadings showed the same results. The 100 yd. group measured .380" off the hood of my truck. The load was 46 grs. of IMR 4350 and a 65 Vmax.The Rem. brass was all over the place weight wise,and I have 3 separate box's of brass that weigh as much as 2.5 grs. difference in weight. So I ordered 100 rds. of Lapua brass,and hopefully they'll all shoot good.(at $55.95 a hundred they had better shoot good) Now all I have to do is load up some 55 gr. Sierra's with the sorted brass,and I'm ready for the P.D. shoot in June. I think this Optima Elite is going to be a real shooter now.   ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 243 progress
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:16:40 AM »
;)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »
Wow, we sure don't have to worry about the quality of the barrel !!! I have no doubt the Lapua brass will do the trick. It is a shame that such measures have to be taken to get quality brass, but sometimes it does. I use alot of Win. brass, but they have cranked out some bad stuff lately. I found out last summer that I was getting better groups with Vietnam era LC brass in my AR than with with new Win brass & even the same brass once fired.
You might find a bullet that your barrel likes even more as you develop other loads, who knows? It appears a "one-holer" is in the works here.

Good shooting & good news.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:49:09 AM »

Sweeeeeeeet...Now I know what load to start both my boys 243 Elites with...Good shooting Digger...I'll let you know how the 308 turns out next week...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...