Author Topic: 204 Range report. Round two  (Read 1343 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
204 Range report. Round two
« on: April 29, 2007, 08:48:54 AM »
Well guys I Finlay got to the range this morning for some trigger time. It was sunny about 70 degrees with a slight breeze. I took my 204 with the fluted bull barrel with synthetic stocks and a Bushnell Banner 6x24x40 scope on it. The rounds I was using were  Winchester Super X 34 grain JHP. It says on the box inproved accuracy Lubalox coated. Does anyone know anything about this coating? When I got there I set it up in a gun rest and looked down the bore and centered it on the target I then adjusted the scope to hit the center of the target. I shot two rounds at 100 yards and I could not see any holes in the target from the bench. So I am saying to myself I will have to move to 50 yards and start from there. Well I walked down to the target and was amazed the rounds I fired were 2 inches high and 2 inches left the reason I couldn't see them is they were in the black rings on the target. I thought that was amazing seeing how I bore sighted it. After several rounds and adjusting the scope I was Finlay was happy with the point of impact. Some of my 3 shot groups were about an inch. Some were about 3/4 of an inch but the last group I shot I was very happy with 2 of the 3 were touching and the 3rd was 3/8 of an inch from the other 2. I think I definitely have a keeper here.  ;D 
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 204 Range report.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:20:09 AM »
No Dale its not a keeper , but i will be more than willing to take it off your hands , just send it on over .  ;D

You sure did good with this one , now you see why the 204s are so well liked , good shooting .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »

Dale you will real enjoy that 204 when you get about a 100 pills down
 the tube, should be real come in to a good shooter, That's what I hear.
 Good luck Marv.

Offline abner

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
Hello

Glad it stopped raining for you and you had a chance to go shooting. Sounds like its a keeper for sure, I thought about the 204 but ended up with the 22-250 combo from Dicks because it was there. I wonder if those Lubalox coated bullets are anything like Moly coated?

Have a great day

Joe

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »
I don't know if they are like the Molly coated or not. I am waiting for some feedback by other members. I also have a Ultra Varmint fluted 22-250 on layaway. I am looking forward to gettig it also. I am a accuracy freak. I like calibers that shoot fast flat and accruate.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 02:57:55 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 03:05:27 PM »
Tim I went to their web site also last night to see what I could find out about this coating. Their site must not be up to date because I bought 2 boxes of them yesterday at Walmart and I printed word for word what it says on the box. If you don't believe me I can mail you the box. The bullets are just black no grey tip.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 03:27:07 PM »
Maybe it's another Walmart only item, made by Winchester just for them, that's why it's not on the Winchester site. ;)

Lubalox is a black oxide-based coating, which reduces fouling and allows more shooting between cleanings, Lubalox does not buildup in the bore like moly does. I've shot it in my BLR for the last 15-20yrs or so on Failsafe bullets, have never had any build up to speak of, unlike moly reportedly does. It's supposed to reduce pressures tho, just as moly probably does.

Tim

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 03:32:32 PM »
I told you it was a shooter....just keep doing what you're doing. That barrel likes 40s and 32s....Lubalox just keeps you shooting instead of cleaning....geeze...did you think I'd sell you a junk barrel??   ;D  BTW....those winchesters were probably CCPs and they're all black Lubalox coated....and yes it likes them VERY well.....

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 03:39:12 PM »
Tim I think I found the brand it likes already. I may try some Hornady 32 grain at some point to see what they do but as of now it is shooting pretty good and I think things will even tighten up some more after it gets broke in good. Ken I hope you did not take it the wrong way. I just made a general statement about it being a keeper. I don't think you would sell me a piece of crap.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
I've tried every factory offering made in my 204, nothing would shoot better than about 1", so I've got some of Mitchell's BL-C2/40gr Vmax loads loaded up, just need some range time with it. ;) I would have handloaded to begin with, but brass was all but impossible to buy in 2004 when I bought it, but with all the factory ammo I've shot in it, I have lots of brass!!! ;D

Yours seems to be doing well, keep at it!! ;)

Tim

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 03:52:15 PM »
naw....I'm just pickin'on ya! ;D  THAT Sir is a fine barrel...you just take care of it and shoot it. I feel confident that it'll make it to one hole....and remember , the barrel wasn't for sale. There was a VERY good reason for that!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ken

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 04:19:14 PM »
Dale....does this look familiar? ;D

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 04:23:44 PM »
oops...try this one

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »
Thanks Ken. The second one is them.Did you also get them at Walmart?  ;D

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »
Gee! You'll be ready before me ;D

Offline ken2222

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 04:50:53 PM »
Dale, I'm real sure that Gander Mtn has them here...I also bought them locally from a Range/FFL...I'm sure they're still around..ask for the CCPs....

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »
Larry ( AKA Goodwrench ). I am ready to go. I am all sighted in. Lets go shoot some ground hogs.  ;D I would like to take another trip to the range for the simple fact I only shot at 100 yards today. I would like to get a little practice at 200 and 300 yards. I would still need some time to get a feel at those ranges. I kind of think the reason my groups were shrinking as I shot today was because this was the first time out this year and just had to get back into it. I did notice one thing while shooting today that I did not mention in the report. when the barrel started to warm up the the shots began to climb. Maybe in a couple weeks we can get together. ;D

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »
Sounds good, I think I'm gonna try to shoot this weekend & see what mine does.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 08:39:58 AM »
Well I made it out again today with the 204. My 100 yard groups were 1 inch or less for the most part. I then set some targets up at the 200 yard and 300 yard back stops. I have never done alot of shooting from the bench at these distances. I was pretty happy with the 200 yard results mostly 2 to 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups at 300 hundred all I can say is I was hitting the 5 1/2 inch target most of the time. I can see I need more practice at these ranges. My rifle is zeroed at 100 yards at 200 yards it seems as though the bullet is still rising seems like I was hitting about an inch high at 200 yards. At 300 yards I had to hold over about six inches. Is it possible that the bullet could still be rising at 200 yards? I also got my first kill with it today a crow landed in front of the 200 yard back stop while I was smoking a cigarette waiting for the barrel to cool. Not a good move on his part. we have no closed season on crows here in Pa.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
Re: 204 Range report. Round two
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »
Dale,

I just wanted to say good job on christening the new rifle. I bet that 'ol crow never even knew what hit'em! :D

Navylawdog

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: 204 Range report. Round two
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »
To be honest I could not believe the damage that little 34 grain bullet did. Cut him in half. :o You are right he did not know what hit him. I saw a big puff of feathers through the scope.