Author Topic: NWTF TDC makes its debut!!  (Read 1350 times)

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
NWTF TDC makes its debut!!
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:16:34 AM »
The only gun I was interested in at our NWTF dinner came home with me this year.   It's a TDC special run made for the NWTF local chapter Hunting Heritage Banquets this year.   As the JAKES Gun of the Year, it's being billed a "Youth Trap Gun".   It sports a 30" high rib barrel and cinnamon checkered lam stocks.   I compared it to my other cinny lams, and it's not a youth cut stock...it's full length. 

But, anyway, it made it's debut in the turkey woods this morning.  Didn't get a bird, but was excited to get the new gun out....maybe tomorrow.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: NWTF TDC makes its debut!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
Those are real nice shotguns, congrats!!  I'm not a shotgun guy, but I was gonna bid on one at our banquet, but they started bidding higher than I was gonna go, it ended up going for $325. The young fella and his dad that got it were certainly excited to get it!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 07:24:20 AM »
Very nice looking!

But, isn't the cat on the wrong end.

*Oh, I'm just kidding, c'mon   ;D    ::)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:42:34 AM »
That is a fine looking gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »
We actually had ours in one of the raffles.....the legband raffle.  For those that don't know, it's a raffle that uses a large box full of legbands that are numbered 001-500.   You pick your own bands and can buy as many as you want.  The price of each band is its number in pennies......ie. band #346 you'd pay $3.46 for. 

I bought $15 worth of bands, but the one that won the gun was # 004.   Yep, paid a whole 4¢ for that one!!  And, to boot, it was the first band I picked....could've stopped at 4¢ and won that gun......    That would've topped the only other gun I've ever won in a raffle.  My $10 camo Benelli SBE!

Haven't scored a turkey yet, but its still only Day 3.   

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »

But, isn't the cat on the wrong end.

*Oh, I'm just kidding, c'mon   ;D    ::)

Naw, I agree.   But the wife wouldn't take it very well.    And the dog wouldn't have anyone to beat on. 

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 08:37:49 AM »
Well, it took 4 days but here he is.   First bird with my JAKES TDC, and very close (probably tied) to the biggest bird I've ever taken. 

He went ~ 20lbs. w/a 9 3/4" beard and 1" spurs on both sides.   

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 08:40:24 AM »
Congrats!!!

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 04:13:29 PM »
Way to go!!! Glad you got one quicker than I have. I got a great deal on the 12ga turkey guns about three years ago ($50.00 otd) I have hunted with it for three seasons and have yet to get a bird with it.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »
Congratulations on the bird, JP.

You didn't say whether the TDC was a 12 ga or a 20 ga. Wasn't planning on attending a banquet this year, but would if I could bring one of those TDC's home with me.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 04:36:04 AM »
Way to go!

Great pic of you, the bird, the gun, and the countryside!

That shotgun will hopefully have many more returns like that one!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 09:20:44 AM »
It's a 12 gauge.    Throws a heck of a pattern too!   40 yards is not a problem...but I managed to take that guy around 25.   He hit the deck pretty quick with no theatrics. 

Thanks for the kind words.   It's the 2nd biggest bird I've taken to date!!

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
I'd slow smoke that bird. My son is a junior at the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park, NY. You should take that bird over there and turn him loose on it!
Good Job!
Don

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 07:19:34 AM »
Ever try the NWTF Turkey Gold line of injectables?    I did a store bought in that marinade and a slow roaster........   Mmmmm, mmmm.....

That was a tasty bird.   I think that boy is destined for the same.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »
Good thing that cats down here in the shotgun forum as I think them Prairie Dog guys are gettin antsy. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 03:53:40 PM »
 :D   That's good!!   :D

Well, the TDC didn't let me down this season.  At 8.45 am yesterday morning I officially tagged out for only the second time in about 11 years of turkey hunting.    About 30 yards, and this boy was peppered. 

He'll be my roaster, as he was just a bit smaller than the first bird!!   

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 03:21:41 PM »
Here's a pic from a successful Memorial Day weekend of hunting. I love that gun! Jakes, but hey, it was late in the season, and I had been skunked thus far.....
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 06:59:44 AM »
Nice job!!   

Did you take those birds with the NWTF TDC?   I'm interested to see if anyone else has this year.   I have my RD asking around!!

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 04:18:13 PM »
Yes, they were both with the NWTF TDC. And if I must admit the truth, they both went down with one shot! (although I'll deny saying that since the rule in NY is one bird per day). Totally accidental. Truth is, I went out that morning with the modified choke in by accident. I had been hunting turkeys with the X Full choke I bought for the gun, but the previous weekend I had my son shooting clay birds with it and I forgot to change the choke tube. Anyway, I had just hiked to the top of that hill in the background at 5:00 AM when I realized it so I figured I would make do with the modified choke. Well, when these two guys came out, I picked out the bigger one and shot, not thinking the other guy was near close enough. The one I shot at dropped like a rock and to my surprise, the other guy started flopping around too. It was a truly awesome hunt, albeit accidentally slightly illegal!
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline J. Plate

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 10:59:26 AM »
Yeah, in NY it's limited to one a day.....but I had it happen once.   ::)

After calling at some birds on the roost and having them hot and heavy, they flew down right over our heads and over a little hill that we were sitting on.   Well, we called at them for another 45 minutes to no avail.  They didn't come back over the hill to us.   So, we decided to check on them and see if they had walked away from us.   We started walking over the top of the hill, and as soon as we crested the peak we saw 3 red heads come up over the other side.    :o

We ran to the top of the hill and one bird busted up into the air to the left, and my partner tried a flying shot....which isn't all that easy with an XFull choke.   But the other two birds stayed on the ground and ran to the right.   They weren't running very close together, as one was running down the hill and one was running along the face of it....but they must've been lined up just right, 'cause I picked the closer of the two birds and squeezed the trigger out in front of his face and found two turkeys flopping that day.   I tagged one and had the other tagged.  Luckily my buddy's father graciously let me use one of his tags.   So, it was sorta legal.  :D
The best part was that one bird had a 9.5" beard and 1 1/4" spurs...and the other was double bearded @ 7.5" and 2.5" with 1" spurs......  pretty nice!