Author Topic: I'm done......  (Read 958 times)

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I'm done......
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »
 only got one tag this year.....23 1/2 lbs, 11 1/2" beard, 1 3/8" spurrs.

"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: I'm done......
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:27:08 AM »
All I can say to that picture is..."WHAT A WAY TO GO OUT !!!"
Congrats on getting that one. Now if one of those would just show up in front of my shotgun....

HWD

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 04:34:04 AM »
Now if one of those would just show up in front of my shotgun....

HWD

here's hoping one does. Mine put on a quite a show before he met his maker, wish I would've had the video camera along this time. Spent the rest of the week calling for a friend who hunts with a bow. Been a good week with the Toms responding well, as he missed one on Thursday and another on Friday. Yesterday we had two longbeards 3 yards away and he could'nt get a shot at them as they were on the other side of the barberry bush we were sittin' in. The Tom he missed on Friday, I nicknamed "Lucky" cause when he displayed, you could clearly see a 8 to 10 inch hole that had been cut thru his fan by a load meant for his head. It was already starting to come back, but it was a perfect circle cut in the tail just above his back. Someone else musta took a shot when he was in full strut a week or two earlier.  When my friends arrow missed it's mark all I could say is "that bird is  really f***ing lucky.

"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 07:57:04 AM »
Awesome longbeard!
That is/was one big old bird.

Maybe the "hole in the tail" tom will be back next year and you can update on his tails recovery or lack there-of
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:09:05 AM »
That is a fine looking- bird way to go!

I hope I lose the turkey jinx i have seem to acquired...so far I spooked several in different situations and never even got a shot at one. My next hunting day will be Saturday so we will see what happens.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:58:47 PM »
I was having some problems too.  Always saw hens, and when I did see gooblers they would stay out of range. 
I read an article that said late season put out more decoys.  I put out 5.  (only had 2 before)  Seemed to work.  Came right in.  Actually one Tom knocked over my decoy.  I started whisteling to try to get him to strech out his neck, I mean a lot, he just walked off puffed up.  and I had to take a long (40yd) shot.  Fiocchi #5's are killers.  Have him in a stew tonight.