Author Topic: 45/70 cast bullets  (Read 695 times)

Offline hunter_54

• Trade Count: (1)
45/70 cast bullets
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »
I am casting some bullets for my BC 45/70. What is the best lub for these bullets.
I have heard of using past wax or Alox. What do you guys think
Thanks Ron

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 45/70 cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:43:18 PM »
Well, your probably going to get lots of replies because it seems many folks have their own recipes. Probably the first question is how you intend to apply the lube for it will have some bearing on what lube you use.  Then how fast you intend to shoot these bullets, is you intend to shoot them nearing 2000 fps a different lube may be required than if you were loading to about 1000 fps.  Don't mean to confuse you, just listing a few things you need to consider.

IF you intend to tumble lube, Lee's Alox will work fine, personally I don't like the tackiness on the exposed part of the bullet after it is loaded.....but you can wipe it off.

IF you keep the velocity in the 1000-1500 fps range then a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and lard works for me.  There seem to be many different variations of ingredients and mixtures, but I like it simple.  Just put the beeswax and lard in a container and melt it in a microwave.

IF you are going to run your bullets through a sizer/lube machine then it is probably more convenient to simply buy a stick of lube at your favorite gunshop.

Whichever method you use will probably work, just get the bearing part of the bullet well covered with lube. 

Lots of people use Johnson's Paste Wax, including me.

Roudy

Offline hunter_54

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:38:51 PM »
I will be loading it at 1700fps or less. I will be shooting for fun and Whitetail dear. Ours are around #150 or less.
How do you apply the past wax. I do not have a press for the stick wax. But I might have to get one if that is the best way to go.

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
Probably the easiest way to apply the past wax is just rub it on with your fingertips then set the bullet aside to dry for a day. 

I suppose you could tumble lube as well, put the bullets in a container, melt the JPW and pour over the bullets and shake to cover.  The JPW will start hardening when it contacts the 'cold' bullets so keeping the bullets at room temperature or warmer will help.  Again let stand for a day to dry.

Roudy

Offline Freightman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:34:28 AM »
I use tumble lube LLA  (LEE Liquid Alox) unless I need to size then I use 50/50 bees wax and alox. never had any leading.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 12:29:12 PM »
This one is right up your alley if you want don't want to tumble lube.  Hope this helps.

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html

~~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:12:43 AM »
I cast my own 45-70 bullets, 405 grain Lee RNFP bullet.  I use the Lee liquid Alox, and have no problem with leading. Granted the are sissy loads, but it still works for me.