Author Topic: 30/30 owners  (Read 1119 times)

Offline DAD

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
30/30 owners
« on: May 02, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »
I'm thinking about getting one of the these new and I don't reload. How does this rifle perform with factory ammo? How many shots until the POI changes? How is the muzzle flip? How is the groups with factory ammo if I do my homework? How is the recoil Wood vs. Syenthic? Your overall impressions either good or bad. Thanks for your replies!

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: 30/30 owners
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 05:04:29 PM »
Well, I can't say about the factory ammo, but mine is an older one and it shoots darn near anything I feed it, and does it well. recoil is negligible,to me anyway, and you can always get a Limbsaver to make it feel better. I notice a slight drift in POI after about 6 or so rapidly fired rounds, but at a leisurely pace it doesn't move as much as my .270 NEF does. The rifles are surprisingly accurate.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:10:32 PM »
Mine shoots 150gr Rem and Federal Fusions about MOA, give or take a ¼" or so, never shot more than 3 shot groups, no need to, it's not a varmint round. Recoil is mild, even with the syn stock and poor recoil pad that comes on it. The 30-30 Handi is one of the manditory "need-to-have" calibers, along with .45-70, 223 and 22 Hornet. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »
Over the years I've put more lead down range with my 30-30 singles then any other type of rifle, with the exception of my EBRs (Man, they go through some ammo!)
Every H&R/NEF 30-30 has shot everything into 1.5 MOA or better. Many under 1 MOA. Factory and handloads, including cast.
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 11:40:21 PM »
Mine shoots 150gr Rem and Federal Fusions about MOA, give or take a ¼" or so, never shot more than 3 shot groups, no need to, it's not a varmint round. Recoil is mild, even with the syn stock and poor recoil pad that comes on it. The 30-30 Handi is one of the manditory "need-to-have" calibers, along with .45-70, 223 and 22 Hornet. ;)

Tim

I've had pretty much the same results.  'cept I've not shot any Fusions.  Mine is the wood stocked version.

I couldn't agree more with Quick.  The .30-30 is a must have Handi caliber, along with the others he listed.   :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 11:40:53 PM »
you will be happy with the 30-30 in every aspect, go for it. I prefer wood, others like synthetic, it's just what you like....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:49:25 AM »
The NEF 30-30's are excellent and shoot all types of factory ammo well . My personal favorite is the Winchester Silver Tips in 170 grn. No particular reason , I just like em. 
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline DAD

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 02:00:52 AM »
Are the open sights on or do they have to be raised or lowered on the front sight? If I chose to scope what do  you  recommened and why?

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:26:05 AM »
I havent bothered to reload for my 3030 yet...I use the win silver box with 150 grain and they shoot GREAT!  Last fall I was at the range and all of us hunters were tweaking our sights.  A guy next to me was shooting a scoped .243 @ 100y.  He was very content with his 2 INCH GROUP (different strokes for diff folks).  He paused for awhile and noticed that I had just put two rounds down range that touched.  I was using a shoot n see target so he could just the the big green dot.  He got up came over and asked to look through my spotting scope...he was quite impressed and then he looked at my rifle!  My 3030 has a williams peep site on it, HOLY (*^& was the next thing out of his mouth.  I just smiled and knew enough not to take a 3rd shot and blow it! lol  These rifles rock!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 05:03:52 AM »
and the look on his face......Priceless!! ;D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 06:00:34 AM »
Are the open sights on or do they have to be raised or lowered on the front sight? If I chose to scope what do  you  recommened and why?

I use a Bushnell Banner with Leupold high Rifleman rings on mine.  I have Banners on several rifles in a variety of calibers up to and including a Handi .30-06, which is probably the hardest recoiling rifle I own.  I find them to be a very good scope for a decent price (around $80).  Never had one fail me. 

:)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »
Go ahead and get it you will love it. The 30-30 was my first handi and I just love it I even named her my baby .I have only shot one round in it and was the Winchester 170gr Silvertips. I don't remember what the group size was on it but it was pretty good. It was the only rifle I used for deer season last year. I got her topped off with a plain ole 3-9x40 Tasco. Like I said go ahead and get one will never look back.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 04:24:15 PM »
When I got mine it was back when I was young and extremely low on cash, as opposed to now, where I'm just very low on cash. :'(  I put a fixed 4X  $29 Tasco scope on it and haven't had a bit of problem with it.
It sure surprises me!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »
One really nice thing about the Handi in 30/30 is that if you ever decide to start reloading you can use pointed bullets.  The use of pointed bullets can give you some (?) improvement in accuracy, but perhaps more important is that the bullets are more aerodynamic and improve downrange performance.

Another neat thing about reloading is that you can tailor your loads.  I shoot 180 grain cast bullets for some really inexpensive shooting and also load some with 110 grain vamint bullets.  The handi in 30/30 can be very versatile.  Good choice.

Roudy

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 11:38:59 PM »
I purchased an older Handi a couple of years ago. With a little help in the way of tweaking, and handloading it has proven to be a versatile "fun gun" that even my wife enjoys shooting... And believe me, she is particular about firearms.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 11:12:49 AM »
My Handi prints right at a minute of angle with both Rem. Factory 150's and 170's.  Point of impact varies a bit more than an inch in elevation between the two loads at 100 yards.  It really IS fun to shoot tiny, little groups next to the big boys with much more expensive rifle/scopes.  (I have an inexpensive Bushnell 1.5X5 scope on this rifle.  It hasn't lost zero in nearly ten years!)  The short overall length really makes this rifle a delight in the deer blind.

My rifle is now wearing a youth length butt stock and has most recently served as a "teaching rifle" for my teenaged son over the past two seasons.  Fortunately, he's big enough now that I can put the standard butt back on (and maybe get to use it again!)

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 07:17:56 PM »
30-30's got recoil?   :o  My only 30-30 is a 14" Contender.  It invariably puts a big SEG ;D on my face when I shoot it....