Author Topic: Just came into an available supply of pure lead! What do I do? Alloys please!  (Read 686 times)

Offline 1longshot

• Trade Count: (0)
I am a newbee to casting.  I would like to get a star swage and a good 20 to 40lb lead pot.   I would also like to ask for some advice on alloys from the people here. I like experienced advice so I figured this is the right place.  The alloys I request would be: a good 45 auto, a .357 for .38 and .357 velocities and also a 30 caliber alloy mixture.  Also If you have any recomendations on moulds I would appreciate it; manufacture, model numbers ect.  Thanks for the help guys.  I am going to be getting a bunch of lead, probably a couple thousand pounds. 

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

1longshot ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
mix it half and half with wws and air cool it for low velocity handgun loads. For higher velocity loads either water drop your 5050 mix or try to find someone with lynotype or at least ww that will trade you for your pure. Pure is tough to find too and is good swapping material for harder lead.
blue lives matter

Offline masek77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pure lead is relatively valuable on its own. You could probably trade it for alloy lead and end up with even more alloy to cast with...

Offline Blammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
take your pure lead and trade it for a good alloy!

someone local I am sure would LOVE to do that!

I would!