Author Topic: Pardner Turkey gets the job done  (Read 571 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Pardner Turkey gets the job done
« on: May 05, 2007, 02:13:28 PM »
I went on my first ever turkey hunt today in NH and got a one shot one kill with the NEF Pardner Turkey with the factory X-full choke.
I hit him at 20 yards with a Remington Nitro 3" #5 shot. He weighed in at 19 lbs. with 1" spurs and a 10" beard. Talk about beginners luck getting a decent Tom on my first day out!

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Pardner Turkey gets the job done
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 05:17:19 PM »
Congratulations! Nice bird. Bet the rest don't come that easy. My hunt starts Monday, but working everyday surely puts a damper on the turkey hunting. Might be able to get out there by next weekend with the Thunder.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 01:16:36 AM »
Congrats!  Great looking bird and great pics.  Shoot me a PM with some of that "Beginners Luck"  I will be heading out for my FIRST EVER turkey hunt as well, this year. ;D

I hear ya busta!  I have to work opening day then its the Memorial weekend.  I am also taking a few days after.  Hope I am as fortunate as doublebass73

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 02:05:08 AM »
Nice bird!  Most of the time we hunt long and hard to get one like that but beginners luck will do it too.
Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 02:55:52 PM »
Hope you get some beginners luck too, cookiemann!

I did do my homework and scouted a good location but the beginners luck came in to play when it was 11:40 AM (we can only hunt until noon in NH) and I heard a gobble behind my setup (on the edge of the forest overlooking a field). I immediately heard
a hen yelp so my heart sank thinking it was the other hunter I had heard earlier that morning. To my surprise I heard a bird walking through the woods behind me then another gobble. I answered back with my slate call and got no response. I tried my mouth call and the gobbler answered! I then heard a bunch of hen yelps getting closer with prompt gobbles afterward and l looked to my right and saw the Tom and 2 hens walk 5 yards to the right of me out into the field in front of me. They settled 20 yards from me where the Tom went into full strut and all I had to do was wait for him to go up periscope to take my shot.

The hens did all the work and I only had to call once to get him to come into a perfect spot. This all happened in about 5 minutes. This just shows you why you need to stay out there until the very end because that's when it can happen. The other hunter I had heard earlier that morning left by 9:00 AM when everything went quiet so persistence pays off.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline J. Plate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 05:32:03 AM »
That's a great bird.  Congrats on your first!   

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 01:43:33 PM »
Persistence is the name of the game with turkeys. Nice description of your hunt!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us