Author Topic: Groove-less cast bullets  (Read 979 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Groove-less cast bullets
« on: May 05, 2007, 03:48:27 PM »
I've heard of them.  Some folks trying to get maximum BC.

Aside from that purpose, has anyone made any?  What method worked or didn't work in lubrication?  Velocities?  Alloys?

After all, there are some commercially made .38 Spcl wadcutters that do not have grooves AND work well.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Groove-less cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 04:03:54 PM »
  They could be paper patch molds.Usually a bit under size to allow for the thickness of the paper. They are almost always made of a very soft alloy

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:46:01 PM »
I agree with you that PP moulds (generally) do not have grooves.  But what I'm talking about are bullets without lube grooves that may/may-not be lubed (perhaps cleaned after every shot - not my pleasure).

Swaged commercial bullets are found, have a waxey lube.

I'm exploring OTHER methods of producing an accurate cast bullet (using a different mechanism to produce the lubrication than the traditional lube and size methods).

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 05:15:47 AM »
I knew a guy that fooled with smooth bullets and moly spray lube but it didnt do to well at any kind of velocity. Personaly i think lube just plays to big a part in accuracy in a cast bullet to do without it. Just switch lubes on a conventional bullet can make big differnces in accuracy. As much as changing alloy or even powder and primmers do. I think for the most part i wouldnt fool with it unless trying paper patching.
blue lives matter

Offline joeb33050

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:45:18 AM »
I have molds in 30, 32 and 45 for rifle bullets, no grease grooves. I have fair to good luck with these NGG bullets at low velocities, lubed with liquid alox or Darr lube. I've sent samples and loaned molds to folks who have had pretty good results.
I had these made to increase the BC, and it worked with the 45, the only one I tested. This ~435 grain bullet tested in the ~.6 BC range.
However, it leads fiercely with a full charge of BP, and I moved where there is no range nearby over 100 yards, so I lost interest.
I have pictures but don't know how to put them here.
Tim, if you want some or to use a mold, let me know.
joe brennan
joeb33050@yahoo.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 03:41:07 PM »
JoeB -

That's a generous offer, but what would be just as helpful is knowing the sizes you've played with.  That is are you looking at .001-.002 over groove or something smaller.  I'm building the tooling for making my own moulds and that would give me an intelligent place to start.  I'm looking at standard 30 calibers, .357 and .375's.  Don't need high BC, but starting out with one or two diameter bullets (breech and conventional loading); looking for non-gas-checked accurate shooting out to 100yds perhaps longer.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Blammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 10:49:15 AM »
I am looking for some .357 dia, and .452 dia grooveless bullets to try. I will be shooting them out of a sabot.

If I was shooting them full bore, so to speak, I'd tumble them in a moly coating and try that.

Offline joeb33050

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 01:27:31 AM »
JoeB -

That's a generous offer, but what would be just as helpful is knowing the sizes you've played with.  That is are you looking at .001-.002 over groove or something smaller.  I'm building the tooling for making my own moulds and that would give me an intelligent place to start.  I'm looking at standard 30 calibers, .357 and .375's.  Don't need high BC, but starting out with one or two diameter bullets (breech and conventional loading); looking for non-gas-checked accurate shooting out to 100yds perhaps longer.

My 30 caliber bullet is 1.268" long, the base band is .313" diameter, .335" long, or so. Then quickly tapers to .3015" to .9" or so. Or so means it's hard to measure where the taper begins. Then it is pointed, from .9" to 1.268".  Or, .313" to ~.335" length, then after taper .3015" to .9" length, then tapered to 1.268" total length.  A picture is so much clearer.
joe b.