Author Topic: Derringers  (Read 2562 times)

Offline lashlaruhe

• Trade Count: (0)
Derringers
« on: May 06, 2007, 05:38:06 AM »
If carrying  a derringer concealed and you are holding off the attacker with one arm. How do you cock the derringer with only one hand and protect yourself?

All derringers that I have examined required both hands to cock, so how do you get around that?

Offline Dusty Miller

Re: Derringers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 05:19:41 PM »
My solution would be to stop carrying a derringer!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:20:40 AM »

+1

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:44:33 AM »
+2.  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:29:30 AM »
For some reason I can't fathom why anyone would want to carry a derringer, unless it is the only gun they own, and they can't afford another gun.

With the derringer you are limited to the number of shots, they are not accurate, as you said, they are hard to shoot (cock).  There are many small guns out there that will make a much better concealed carry weapon, and definitely provide better accuracy, and more shots.  Take a look at the Kel-Tec P-9 ($300.) or the Polish P-64 Markov ($150.), and there are many good small revolvers available too.

I think I would be looking to change guns before I got into a SHTF situation.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 05:51:29 AM »
Don't waste your time or money on a derringer.

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:05:40 AM »
I have a couple for fun, I got one 22 for free and my dad bought a 45/410 american deringer 6" barrel gun in the 80's for snakes. They are not acurate at all but sometimes I shoot them for fun. I can hit a rabbit sized target at about 25' with the 22.  They both have oversized grips though that helps a lot.

I would carry one for my concealed carry though.

-TC-
-TC-

Offline lashlaruhe

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 07:17:32 AM »
Thanks for the info. Only derringer I ever owned was a double action 38 Special. Granted it was only 2 shots, but reliable and usable with one hand. I always wondered if I was missing something about the single action derringers being able to be cocked with one hand.
There are situations where one hand is all that can be used and if can't be cocked with one hand its totally useless.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 06:48:51 PM »
I've often thought a cheap single action derringer in 38spl would be if not a good choice a fun choice for shooting snakes. I wouldn't want to depend on one for self defense purposes, but loaded with snake shot  they sound fun.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 05:44:12 PM »
Actually, I guess if your 45 ACP ran dry and you didn't have enough time for a reload, a derringer might be just the ticket at CONTACT range.

Offline sherpa

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 02:45:39 PM »
   5 shots usable with either hand .22  .22 mag
IF I HAD KNOWN I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 04:26:56 AM »
Many years ago I had a .38 special derringer which was surprisingly accurate once I filed and adjusted the sights and selected a good load. I could pick off coke cans at 25 yards quite regularly with the bottom barrel. The top barrel required some guess work since it shot about 18" high at 25 yards. It was accurate when carefully aimed but for quick point and shoot it could go anywhere since the half-moon grip shape didn't position the gun in any fixed relationship to the hand. I could cock it one handed though.
  A friend nearly lost a finger when, in his excitement to finish a downed elk, he attempted to cock his derringer with the off hand grasping the barrels. The gun fired and cut a piece from his glove but just missed his index finger. If I ever were tempted to get another derringer it would have barrels at least 4" long to avoid that issue.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
I think one of the .410 Derringers would be a fun anti-snake gun. Can't think of any other practical purpose, however.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline jsoukup

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
I always considered the derringer a last ditch, deep cover, contact range gun. I figured if I ever ran empty or got disarmed, it would be there, waiting for the bad guy to turn his head or get distracted. Then it's one round to the back of the head and a second one there just in case. I just consider it an extra backup.

When I was single, I kept it in a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom under the sink. I figured if I ever got cornered in the bathroom, one slug through the door might convince them to leave.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 07:15:41 PM »

All derringers that I have examined required both hands to cock, so how do you get around that?

I guess this would solve your problem. Only one hand required here.
www.amderringer.com/das.html
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline S.S.

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »
I wish I still had the copy of the X-Ray of a friends leg.
Shows a nice image of the FMJ .22 mag slug resting against his thigh bone.
This was from a Davis derringer going off when he had it in his pocket
and he sit down. No amount of talking to him would persuade him not to carry that
piece of junk. A loud pop and powder burns on the gonads sure did the trick though.
If things get close enough to employ that small of a firearm, I prefer a well balanced knife.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline sert01

• NRA Life Member Past Rescue 40 SRRT member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 06:45:13 AM »
my older brother did the same thing back in the nineties with a .22mag davies. BUT!!! he didn't have it at half-cock AND he didn't have the cross-hammer safety on!!! he dropped it on his kitchen floor and shot himself in the right leg just above the kneecap. can you say OUCH? really his fault for not carrying it properly.i carry an amer. derr. in .45-.410 and have never had a problem. just gotta remember your safety training!!   SERT01

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 08:55:22 AM »
I have never been in a SHTF situation as a civilian, but did experience it a few times in the military.

Speaking from experience, it is a very sinking feeling when you know you are outgunned and your life depends on what is at stake.  For this reason, I would never put myself in a position where I was so severely limited.  Knowing that in most SHTF situations there are a maximum of (approximately) 8 rounds fired, I would hope that I was in possession of enough to hold my own.  I don't think this is possible with a derringer, even if you are  thoroughly accomplished at reloading the gun.

It is just smart to meet force with equal, or greater force.  But if the derringer was ALL I had, I would have to be satisfied.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »
i have one in 44mag. , i carry it sometimes as a 2nd. gun . I can cock it with one hand . The main reason i got it was to be able to carry my reg. gun loaded for normal use and a second for snakes . That said it has also been to other social events where a big bore might be handy in real close quarters say less than arms length , this was in addition to a reg. gun !
other than snakes i treat it as a contact weapon a knife may be better ( no reload ) but i for one don't care to take on a snake with a knife !
and i totally agree it would be about the worst primary gun to carry ! but check on some of the surplus guns that were listed , they may be capable of firring if dropped not a good thing for a gun that may fall or you may be holding when knocked down ! IMHO !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 03:50:32 PM »
Shootall.  I agree with the back-up theory.  But as a primary gun, I would never recommend it.  JMHO.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 01:40:31 AM »
didn't i say that ?

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 01:54:08 AM »

I guess this would solve your problem. Only one hand required here.
www.amderringer.com/das.html

Nice with its sleek hammerless design, but the exposed trigger is a worry.....

I still have to agree with SHOOTALL about its lack of proper back up.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 02:24:30 AM »
Shootall.  Go back and read my post, I am not arguing with you, just reinforcing what you said in your previous post.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 03:09:48 AM »
didn't take it that way ! sorry for confusion !

Offline sert01

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »
never had a problem cocking my amer. derr. .45/.410 with one hand. i practice one hand draw, cock, and shoot at the range all the time. trigger pull was the worst thing.used to be really awful, but i tore it down and filed and polished the sear so it's not to bad now.  Sert01

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 09:00:08 AM »
serto1 , do you like the 45/410 ? been thinking of getting one the 44 works on snakes but the 410 seems like it would be better , looked at the judge not a pocket gun fer sure !
i realize there is a lot of negative talk about the derringer but the more i use it the more i like having one around . not the first time i went against the flow !

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 01:33:51 PM »
I've come across a few rattlesnakes in my time.  Those that were close enough to do damage caused me to MOVE in a hurry and thereby gain safety.  By that time I was far enough away to just walk around them.  If they're not close enough to do damage I can't see the point of shooting them.  They're just another part of nature and help keep the rodent population down. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 02:02:53 PM »
As long as Rattle Snakes stay out of my AO, I leave them be. Otherwise, I have more effective tools for dealing with them than a derringer.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 05:17:29 AM »
Well I don't see many rattle snakes at the house , but the copperheads are pretty thick ! this year alone we have killed 4 with in 10 feet of the door , now if you want to take a chance go for it but a few years ago i got home after dark and stepped on a 43in copperhead going from the truck to the door ! they are real hard to see in poor light ! also had my lab bitten ! I guess I'm not as GREEN or P. C. as some of ya'll  !

Offline sert01

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »
 Her Shootall!!  Ido alot of canoing and watersnakes seem to pop up out of nowhere sometimes and they are territorial and mean!! had several try to climb in the boat with me and i don't like that. derringer is small enough to carry in my combatshorts pocket or lifevest pocket and still get to it quickly. often carry it as a personal carry gun in my pocket during the summer months but recently got a Keltec PF-9 that conceals real well also with a lot more shots and range. gotta know your limitations with a derringer, though. to each their own, i guess!!  Sert01