Author Topic: Extractor BC .45-70 going under the knife  (Read 518 times)

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Extractor BC .45-70 going under the knife
« on: May 06, 2007, 02:30:32 PM »
All,
    I have my virgin .45-70  BC extractor barrel all packaged up and ready to go to Lee Shaver in the morning for transformation into a .45-120. I am following Quick's lead and suggestions. I have bought a replacement ejector BC rifle from Stan in SC.  (Thank you much, Stan) I now have to figure out the sighting scheme for this new gun. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Re: Extractor BC .45-70 going under the knife
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
45-120.......Ouch! ;D

Yep, sure do, this is what I'm saving up to put on my Target model

Here's a link.
http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/homex-m.html
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 11:37:12 PM »
Wow,
         I hadn't thought of a vintage looking scope. How proud of those are they? I couldn't find a price in the link. This setup would warrant a dedicated hard case to prevent denting that tube.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to study this one.
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:17:48 AM »
Depending on the length, power, and quality (read Brand) prices range from $199 to about $600.  The one pictured is about $400 plus mounts.  The rear mount in the link is expensive as well.

I tried a rear Soule sight on my BC (see my website, www.handirifle.com for details) but even after Lasik surgery, my eyes are not optimal for open sights.  On this one I am set on using only lead bullets and hopefully only black powder.  I'm very optimistic about the accuracy of my 38-55 so far and the scope will only improve it.

I may yet mount another scope on it in the meantime to see how accurate this rifle really is.  I think this rifle will make one ragged hole at fifty yards with proper barrel swabbing between shots.  When I tested it the first time, I made a point of NOT swabbing the barrel, but did use a blow tube to try and soften the residue.   When I cleaned it at home the 4-5 inches of bore closest to the muzzle were HARD to push the patch through, so no doubt this was affecting accuracy.  It was still very accurate, despite this.

Let us know what you put on the cannon when it comes back.

Are you planning on black powder only for this?  Guys over at Shiloh say they get uncomfortable after just a few full charge loads of the 45-110, much less the 120.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 06:32:42 AM »
If the recoil gets to be too much on your body, a little lead in the stock bolt hole and a leather recoil pad will make it user friendly again. ;)

Tim

Galco Slip-on

Kicks lace-on

Kicks Vecro-on

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline enj13

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 04:41:39 PM »
I followed the directions from the FAQ and turned my ejector into an extractor today. Took all of 15 mins and no problems..and much better on the bench......Norm