Author Topic: Mansfield Ohio Follow Up  (Read 3847 times)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Mansfield Ohio Follow Up
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »
Well, I'm finally home from the Mansfield Ohio Artillery Show. All-In-All it was a Great Time! I got to meet some old friends and some of the GBO folks.

I would like to give a special Thanks to Seacoast Artillery for being the GBO meeting point. Mike and Tracy are Great Guys and have an Awesome product!

I will post a few teaser photos until I get a chance to sort through the bunch. Now it's time to get some rest........

Seacoast Artillery Table

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline radio2

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Mansfield Ohio Follow Up
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »
Nice pics, I wish I was there!

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »
Awesome artillery! :D
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 07:17:03 PM »
I see the GBO sign!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 03:14:18 AM »
I see the GBO sign!

DD, Good Eyes!!!!  ;D That was the sign up sheet. The Seacoast boys will post the attendance list when they get home.

Well, here's a few more photos. Enjoy!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 03:26:18 AM »
 This one is for Santa Dave. I thought he would like to see this Pack Parrott.  ;D ;D  ;D

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 04:11:03 AM »
I wouldn’t mind a few more pictures of that pack parrot.  Is it on a carriage similar to the pack carriage for the mountain howitzer?

The gun drill used by the crew with the parrot in the first set of pictures looks a little different.  Shouldn’t #1 and #2 be turned towards the back of the cannon instead of the front as they are shown in the pictures?  #2 observes the vent and #1 the muzzle the ensure that the piece fires.  It seems that facing forward would make this more difficult.

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:20:31 AM »
You might want to inform those guys that their clothes are the wrong color! ;D
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline das

• loosecannongunworks.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 06:42:54 AM »
     While at the Mansfield show this past Saturday, my daughter Jessie and I had the pleasure of meeting some great people.  Captain Ed, your knowledge and love of the sport are infectious. There was a definite gleam in your eyes when the full scales went off!
     IntooDeep, you're lucky tp have grown up with him since he took the time to pass on something that has stayed with you all these years. Having a mom who would let you have a full scale Howitzer in the living room didn't hurt either! While I'm at it Jessie wanted me to say "Thanks for buying something from my Dad."We-re both looking forward to seeing pics in progress and when it's finished!
     Mike and Tracy from Seacoast Artillery had a great display setup. There were so many people at their table they rarely had a chance to sit down. To call their work EXTRAORDINARY is an understatement of the highest magnitude.
     Thanks to Rich for letting me bring my own cannon into the show. You can bet that next year I will be there to sell and display my work. I now plan to be at the show in Port Huron on June 23 & 24 and will have more than a few things to sell.
              Again, thanks to all, David and Jessie Steele.
David A. Steele   :eek:   Loose Cannon Gun Works, LLC 8)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 03:43:49 PM »
I wouldn’t mind a few more pictures of that pack parrot.  Is it on a carriage similar to the pack carriage for the mountain howitzer?

This was the only photo that I took of this. However, I do know that it was on a pack carriage. Maybe someone else will have more photos.

The gun drill used by the crew with the parrot in the first set of pictures looks a little different.  Shouldn’t #1 and #2 be turned towards the back of the cannon instead of the front as they are shown in the pictures?  #2 observes the vent and #1 the muzzle the ensure that the piece fires.  It seems that facing forward would make this more difficult.

I think the variations that you see are due to the fact that they did not have enough regular volunteers to help man the guns. I did observe them doing some training while doing these displays. I guess we all have to learn some time.  ;D  As, for the positions of #1 & 2. They should be facing/watching the muzzle per NPS proceedure.

You might want to inform those guys that their clothes are the wrong color! ;D

Preacher,

The guys wearing the other colors were across the street on the South side firing back.  ;)

das,

You're welcome. It was nice to meet you and your daughter. I am just glad to see that she has enthusiasm to help keep this sport alive. We need more young folks to carry on. Just consider my purchase a small contribution towards the future of our hobby/sport. :)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 04:17:29 PM »
das,

This pics for you....  ;D  ;D

Offline das

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
     Evening Intoodeep, glad to know you made it home safely.
     Thanks for the nice pic ! It really stands out with good lighting and a great camera. I spoke to Mr. Willams this afternoon and gave him my address to send the registration forms for next years show. Also recived e-mail info and forms for the show and competition at Port Huron in June. I'm certianly looking forward to this summer.

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »
Preacher,

The guys wearing the other colors were across the street on the South side firing back.  ;)

Well, so few are harder to hit, I guess.  :'(
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »
Well, so few are harder to hit, I guess.  :'(

PoB,

That's funny....  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 10:26:58 PM »
Give up! We have you surrounded! ;D

We're in the trees. You just can't see us!

A sad and yet funny story--
My grandmother told me of one of the black sheep in our family history who deserted during the Civil War. They chased after him and finally found him hiding up in a tree. He would not come down, so they shot him.

I'm glad that problem is not genetic.

I would have hid in a hole.  ;D
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 03:15:43 AM »
Here's a few more pic for today's viewing.  :)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 11:58:20 AM »
     Well, we are finally back in Colorado.  The vehicle has another 3,200 miles on it.  We sure had a great time in Mansfield and encourage anyone interested in artillery to consider going next year.  Mike and I will be back for sure.  The GBO Black Powder Cannon and Mortar board member attendance list, in the order in which they showed up,
is as follows:

seacoastartillery
Cpt. Ed
Intoodeep
DAS
Guardsgunner
Artilleryman
BGBore
Powder-2-Burn

We think that is a very respectable showing considering some of the distances involved!  Mike and I had a great time chatting with everyone who stopped by and we learned a lot by
attending this excellent show as well.  Mike and I had a great time getting to know some of the GBO membership.  They all were very friendly guys and had some very interesting stories to tell.  Guardsgunner had two really excellent display/trade tables of antique firearms and accesories in the Youth building.  He was so busy with customers when I stopped by I couldn't even squeeze in to say HI.  Mike and I were grateful when he stopped by at our table during a brief lull on Sat. to talk.  We learned a bit more about the rifled Ellsworth guns they built and we really appreciate the info about shooting rifled projectiles.  DAS was toting some excellent ordinance and his daughter was very enthusiastic about her fathers work.  The finish on his blued mortars was really excellent and the detail displayed on his field artillery was very, very nice. 
     All we can say is that we are very proud to be a part of this truly fine group!!

We had a chance to talk with Bruce and Bernie Paulson of PBO Corp., mostly about politics this time and about cannons too, of course.  When we visited their fascinating artillery museum and shop last December, they took about a five hour coffee break and gave us a critique of the 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle we make, and a detailed tour of their facility.  To say we learned a lot, is a gross understatement.  I guess our 100 Pdr. passed muster, because we were added to their brief list of links on the PBO Corp, website.  We consider this an honor and have no plans to relax our quality standards in the future.

Jack Bell, author of Civil War Heavy Explosive Ordinance introduced himself and we learned more about Parrott and Brooke bolts and shells.  We really appreciated his words of encouragement, "Keep doing what you are doing, guys, keep it up!"

Matt Switlik stopped by and told us the fascinating story of "Old Betsy" and the complicated carriage versions that evolved over the last 195 years.  We really appreciate his knowledge
and willingness to share it.  If you don't have his book, The More Complete Canoneer , buy it! 

We had the pleasure of meeting Fred Chapman, owner of Chapman and Sons, makers of fine artillery sights.  He had the table right next to ours.  We took a close look at the pendulum hausse field artillery sight he makes. It displayed excellent workmanship and we found out how he gets the lead in the finely crafted brass bulb at the bottom.

Don Lutz of Antique Ordinance Publishers had 5 or 6 tables across the aisle from us and he also imparted some knowledge about parrott rifles and testing documents.  We already have four of his excellent ordinance drawing folios and had to buy six more, of course!

Thomas Bailey, owner of Historical Ordinance Works stopped by and we talked about their complete and thorough efforts used in restoring original field artillery carriages and building replacement ones too.  We also asked him about that "dazzle paint job" on the restored French 75 featured on their website.  He says it is a completely authentic camoflage scheme used to break up the long straight lines of the tube and recoil mechanism. It certainly is very well done; take a look!

We sure did have fun and we WILL be back!!  Intoodeep really did a fine job on taking pictures and posting them.  Our camera seemed to do quite poorly on this trip. 

Mike and Tracy
Seacoast Artillery Company

Some of the fired and unfired bolts and shells(inert display) for the 1/6 scale 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle we make.

[img width= height= alt=image hosting by https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/]https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/jurnan54/mansf2.jpg[/img]

Mike had the idea to throw a small LED light down the bore so everyone could see the rifling.  It worked great!!

[img width= height= alt=image hosting by https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/]https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/jurnan54/mansf3.jpg[/img]

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 02:31:56 PM »
Mike & Tracy,

Glad to see your back safe and sound.  3200 miles is quite the trip. You must be ready for a break.

Intoodeep really did a fine job on taking pictures and posting them. 

It's funny you made that comment. I get so many positive comments about the camera. That was picked up for the skinflint price of $100 with all of the accessories. You got love them yard sales.....  :D :D :D

Well, I have posted a few more photos for everyone's viewing pleasure. However, I think DD may have some input on one of the "natural" photos.  ;D ;D

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 01:39:30 AM »
Great bunch pictures, just one question who is the proud owner of these relics? Boy I wish I could get my hands on that lonely mortar laying on that table with no carriage to call its own. :-\

Ed

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 03:59:16 AM »
EL Cazador 66 ,

Yeah, that is a nice little mortar. I took a look at it when I was there but, me being the skinflint that I am I set it down and moved on. I have seen 1 or 2 sell on fleabay a bit cheaper. The owner is an east coast collector located in VA.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 04:34:48 AM »
So it was up for sale huh, what was the asking price? how can I see the others that are being sold on fleabay... I would love add one of those to my little collection.

ED

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 04:57:25 AM »
Ed,

PM sent.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 01:33:33 PM »
Cpt Ed is finally home and somewhat rested from his 18 days on the highway and 2850 miles driven. The Mansfield show for this old timer was fantastic and well worth the effort to attend. I had a chance to renew some old acquaintances and make some new ones. There were plenty of really fine Civil War artifacts and memorabilia to view and purchase displayed in five buildings and in the Sutlers tents set up on the outside. The Artillery building as you have seen in some of the previously posted pictures was a true cannoneers delight.

It was a pleasure for me to have shared conversation with Mike and Tracy of Seacoast Artillery Company and to have inspected their unbelievably first class models they had on display. I also had the opportunity to meet with DAS and his daughter and to inspect and appreciate his fine cannon models.  One of which was transported with me back to Florida for another collector. I was able to take some 90+ pictures and several videos. I will sort through what I have taken and try not to duplicate any of the pictures previously posted.

Matt Switlik, Tracy, Mike &”intoodeep” discussing “Old Betsy”

Artillery Display.

Original Mountain Howitzer, carriage & Limber.

Original Dahlgren Light 12pdr Boat Howitzer.

General and His Cannon.

Antique French 9 pdr.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Double D

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 08:49:50 AM »
Did I grasp this correctly Capt. Ed and Intodeep knew each other before they came to  GBO?

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 10:31:43 AM »
Did I grasp this correctly Capt. Ed and Intodeep knew each other before they came to  GBO?

Oh Poo.... My dirty little secret is out..... ::) 

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
Here's a neat little video I came across on YouTube showing some of the Mansfield show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXXE_UeSsqE

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 05:21:24 AM »

Oh Poo.... My dirty little secret is out..... ::) 

You two have been hanging out here for a couple of years year and I just figured it out...does it make you feel real safe to know my job is to seek and find terrorist....

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 06:00:57 AM »
You two have been hanging out here for a couple of years year and I just figured it out...does it make you feel real safe to know my job is to seek and find terrorist....

:D  :D  :D

I just thought my "Dirty Little Secret" was a "Need to Know" thing. No more running now! I give up!  I'm intoodeep now.... ;D ;D ;D

Offline das

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 06:47:22 AM »
      Well now, screwed that up for you, didn't I ? :(

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 08:03:17 AM »
      Well now, screwed that up for you, didn't I ? :(

CAREFUL!  You'll be on the top of his "list".    :o
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)