Author Topic: Love that Target Model!  (Read 576 times)

Offline Roudy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Love that Target Model!
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:24:24 PM »
Just finished measuring groups from today's outing at the range.  Have a three shot group from the 38-55 that measured 3/4".  That was 100 yards off sandbags with the scope set at 9X.  I normally shoot 5 shot groups, not sure why I only shot three this time.

After adjusting the scope I started shooting at the 200 yard gong and hit it virtually every time.  Don't know what size the gong was, guessing at 8-10 inches in diameter.  This thing REALLY shoots! 8)

These were handloads using Lee's 250 grain bullet mold and IMR 4198 powder at about 1450 fps.  As a side note, I have not reamed the chamber out and only had one case stick in the chamber today, I think the sticking issue is basically gone now.

Roudy

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Love that Target Model!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:35:34 PM »
Good shooting. Keep up the good work. ;D
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:33:13 PM »
Nice but I'm not surprised.  What dia are those bullets?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 06:45:35 AM »
It has been my experience that once you figure out the top secret(double naught spy secret) way to load for the Target Model, it is accurate with almost any bullet and any listed load. I am glad to hear of your success.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 07:58:24 AM »
Handirifle,  Bullets are sized to .378" in a Lyman lube/sizer.

Roudy

Offline Coffee_Boy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:18:15 AM »
This thing REALLY shoots!

Glad to hear it.  I'm sending my SB2 off to be fitted with a 32" .45-70 tomorrow.  Any double naught seecreets for that one?

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
Not like the 38-55...the 38-55 requires the right diameter bullet and the right crimp and the right amount of case resizing....
I haven't heard of those kind of problems with the 45-70.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
MY BC loved the Speer 400gr bullets over all others.  I think the best powder was H4198 IIRC.

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 11:30:11 AM »
Let's see now.... Keep in mind that I have not reamed or altered my chamber, have not even polished it,  I wanted it to 'wear' in.  For the first 50+ rounds the empty case would not extract without the help of a dowel rod dropped down the bore, after about 100-150 rounds this problem is all but gone.  This may not be acceptable to someone who is hunting with this rifle.

1.  I no longer size my cases, simply de-cap in a 45-70 die, re-prime and load.  I suspect that the chamber dimensions are so tight that the brass doesn't expand much, if at all.  So far all of the .378 bullets fit just fine.

2.  After loading I use the 38-55 sizing die with the de-capper removed to put a taper crimp on the cartridge.  This isn't to crimp the bullet as much as it is to get the cartridge to chamber....tight chamber, remember.  (next reloading I'm going to trim the cases a few thousandths to see if I can eliminate the taper crimping.)

With these chamber dimensions I can see where it would be relatively easy to reload this cartridge while sitting around a campfire....just de-cap, prime, add powder and bullet.  Makes me wonder if that was the objective of those old, 'odd' chamber dimensions.

If I remember correctly when I slugged the bore it measured .379 to the bottom of the grooves, at any rate the bullet seemed a bit small for the bore.  Apparently the bullet bumps up in size when firing.

I'd certainly recommend this rifle to anyone who enjoys casting and shooting their own bullets, it does take some fooling around to get it to shoot well, but it certainly will do that!

Roudy

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 01:53:34 PM »
Roudy,
A suggeston.  What dia are the bullets before lube/sizing?  Maybe leave them unsized and hand lube?  Just a thought.

I used the chey-cast .379 dia 245gr and GOEX powder and so far mine loves them.  I was using factory sights and I really need a scope for these eyes.  Especially beyong 50yds.  Up to 50 I'm ok but that is all.  Still mine grouped nicely at fifty with this combo.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 02:25:48 PM »
You guys are giving me the wants for a 38-55, I might just have to start running bullets again, thought I kicked that habit, but you're giving me the itch again!! ;) I necked up a 30-30 case to .375" for Eskimo36 earlier today, seeing that little straight walled case was the proverbial last straw I think!! :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Roudy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »
Handirifle...I tried a whole variety of loads, sized, unsized, several lubes, wads, dacron filler, several powders (but no black powder).  So far I've found two loads that the rifle really likes, one low power with Blue Dot at about 1000 fps and the best of all IMR 4198 at about 1400+ fps (no fillers or wads).  Not bad on the shoulder either.

Tim.....You know you want to, just do it! ;D

Roudy