Author Topic: New barrel won't lock up  (Read 548 times)

Offline Bamaflyer

• Trade Count: (4)
New barrel won't lock up
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »
Boy do I need some help! I just traded for a 204 Ruger barrel and I can't get it to lock up on my frame. When I hook it on the hinge pin and try to close it, not only will it not lock, it causes the barrel catch to stay back and the barrel release leaver on top depresses. Am I doing something wrong? The 308 barrel I had on the frame did just fine!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: New barrel won't lock up
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »
I myself have never fitted a barrel. The ones I have bought I got lucky with and fit one of my two receivers. From what I understand it is better that it don't lock up than be loose and have to shim it. :'( Looks like you have some barrel fitting ahead of you.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »
Unfortunately, they aren't one size fits all. :'( Read the barrel fitting info in the FAQs, go slow and check the fit often, ask questions if you need to. I just fitted a barrel to a frame, it did the same as yours, but it had way too much head space, the headstamp of the case was recessed well below the chamber face, so I flat filed the chamber face until a sized case was flush with the chamber face, at that point it would barely lock up and there was zero clearance  between the barrel and standing breech(frame), it would lock up tight on Saran wrap!! All that I had to do after that was hone the latch shelf until I had good latch engagement. Never touched the pivot. ;)

As stated in the barrel fitting instructions, if the case is already flush to the chamber face, pivot modification is the next step. So far, I have yet to work on a barrel that the chamber face was flat, they've all been irregular, I don't know how H&R cuts them off, but they could do better!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Coffee_Boy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »
When I try to close it, the barrel catch to stay back and the barrel release leaver on top depresses.

Do not despair!  This is perfectly normal!  The catch and lever are connected that way!  The lever depresses whenever the catch goes back.  The only thing that isn't happening is the catch is supposed to come forward again and the lever up again to complete the closure!

The first thing I would do is just loosen the forestock if it is attached.  Then try using a wee bit more force to close it.  See if you can "snap" it shut, rather than just "set" it shut.  Some lubricant might also solve that.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
I would say you are in luck.  You have some barrel to remove to get it locked up, I have never seen one that is flat on the breach, some are out of flat by .006 or so.  If you can do it take a light cut across the breach on a lathe and square things up, the chambers are real deep in handi's, so I don't think you will run out of room.  No lathe?  Flat file it, or at least hone it until all the machine marks are gone.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 04:10:06 PM »
I would say you are in luck.  You have some barrel to remove to get it locked up, I have never seen one that is flat on the breach, some are out of flat by .006 or so.  If you can do it take a light cut across the breach on a lathe and square things up, the chambers are real deep in handi's, so I don't think you will run out of room.  No lathe?  Flat file it, or at least hone it until all the machine marks are gone.  Larry

Basically, finish what NEF started !
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:10:31 PM »
Yeap, sounds like you have a very easy fit to perform. From the sounds of it all you need is to remove ever slightly and with a round file, just a little metal from the hinge pin area that meets your under lug. Go slow and even with special detail to the center of the groove. After it will lock up apply some good grease to the area you have filed off that meets the hinge pin area.
Just take your time and you will be rewarded.

-Aaron