Author Topic: Kel-Tec P380  (Read 2840 times)

Offline volshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Kel-Tec P380
« on: May 24, 2003, 02:36:53 PM »
I'm going to the gun show in Knoxville Sunday t see if I can find a .380 KelTec. I have a P11 and I think the .380 would fit nicely for a back up carry.
Rick :D

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 03:51:42 PM »
No one had one or could tell me when. I ended up trading my P-11 in on a 12/45 Para Ordance.
Rick

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 11:04:47 PM »
Yeah,
I want one too! Did the gunshop guy give any indication of the price these little jewels went for? Remember how the price went thru the roof on the .32s when they were in short supply. I might have to make do with my .32s till the frenzy dies down.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jhm

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 03:49:29 AM »
I attended a gunshow yesterday and not a single keltec 380 to be found and the dealers I know and deal with didnt have a clue when they were to get any alot of the talk is that it will be allocated for a while like the .32 was. :D   JIM

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2003, 11:48:57 AM »
jhm,

Thought I saw you at the KC hall in Conway. They had some good prices! Wish I had carried more money----
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline jhm

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2003, 01:29:21 PM »
Savage:  You should have spoke up, yes some of the stuff was priced as good as the guys could have had them, a good friend of mine had alot of old reloading supplies there that I just had to dig into, lots of the new 17 rifles, I was somewhat interested in a model 43 win in 218bee has had a scope put on it but will see if mack still has it this week, heck you should have said something I always have more money than the wife knows about, are you going to the little rock show in august?  the ad in todays paper states (free parking) after the blow up over parking at the last show they had. :D   JIM

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2003, 02:26:43 PM »
jhm,
Oh yeah, I'll have to attend the show in LR on the 16th and 17th of Aug. I don't know which day yet, it depends on my work schedule. Gotta go to MO. to pick up some new cars and shuttle them back for the next two weeks then my schedule should get back to normal, at least in time for the gun show. You don't have any use for a .308 tatical rifle do you?
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline jhm

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2003, 02:36:08 PM »
Savage :  Keep in touch and we may be able to make the lr show together , no I dont for myself but will make mention to a few I know and see if it does anygood, send me the particulars in a PM as not to misuse this forum. :D   JIM

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2003, 12:40:35 PM »
Got a reply today from Kel tec. They said they are currently shipping to their distributors in limited quanities. The distributors will supply their best dealers first, of course. They also said they expect to be in full production in 2-4 weeks. I see on the web site that the suggested retail is $305.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2003, 12:53:54 AM »
cknight98,
I wouldn't anticipate any real problems with the P-3AT. The proven P-32/P-11 platform should be well suited for the .380. The locked breach should make the P-3AT one of the mildest recoiling pocket .380s on the market. If you've shot a PPK very much you'll appreciate that!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 10:59:12 AM »
Got my order in for one--------My dealer is trying To get an alotment of them. Desooner debetter----
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 02:07:53 PM »
Chris,
Will do---------they seem to be hard to come by yet-------
Savage

Offline TimWieneke

• Avid Poster
    • http://pub53.ezboard.com/bprimalfires
Kel Tec 380
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 05:53:59 PM »
Got to hold (fondle) one today  :) , but couldn't shoot it - it was already set aside for an LEO who wanted it (no prob - LEOs deserve first dibs IMHO).  Nice little pistol.  Very light and very comfortable in the hand.  Kel tec actually "gets it" when they put together a light pistol that fits the hand.  I'm glad to see they finally came out with a little pistol that has a little more oomph.  I'll be ordering one soon.  I would like to see more range reports though, but as was previously said - the frame it was built on wasn't "broke" and Kel Tec didn't try to "fix" it.

Tim
Price here was $309

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 03:16:09 AM »
Still no word from my dealer--------gonna go by and check with him today.
Still hard to get like the P-32 was when it first came out!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 02:15:08 AM »
Chris,
Excellent!!!!!! Let me know what your impressions are. I would expect no suprises as the platform for the P3-AT is a proven one. My dealer still hasn't gotten any. Man I envy you!!!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline TimWieneke

• Avid Poster
    • http://pub53.ezboard.com/bprimalfires
Keltec
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 04:39:05 AM »
"while my wife could easily handle my old P32, she cant even rack the slide on this P3AT."

Wouldn't a tip-up barrel be interesting?  Wonder if they have any plans of looking into that.

Tim

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 03:54:25 PM »
Let's see----------tip up barrel=blow back operation------sounds like a giant leap backwards!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline southernshooter

P-3AT
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 01:29:23 PM »
Bought a Kel tec 380 in October. Had 1 failure of the slide to go fully into battery early on during break in. Since then I have shot it about 300 times. Working good! Paid $250 at a gun show. Most were selling for $265.00. They have an ordinace steel barrel and slide and a Mec-Gar mag. Also comes with a carry case. The only minor drawback is that the slide does not lock to the rear. It is accurate for its designed role and only 7 oz. So far so good!

Offline Redf150

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 11:30:22 AM »
Was at my local gun shop today, I had them put me on their list for a .380 Kel-Tec, The owner carrys one and he whipped it out, and if you unload the mag the slide stayes locked back.
Not sure if you meant like a regular pistol slide were there is a latch or what.
looks to be a winner from what I handeled today cant wait to get one :toast:
Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

Offline cashman

p3at
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2003, 04:15:58 AM »
I have a P3at and the slide doesnt lock back on it . Sounds like it must of been a P32 i believe there slides locked back if i am not mistaken.

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2003, 07:11:36 AM »
The slide lockback feature is not a big issue for me. On a gun of this type, I don't carry an extra mag anyway. These little deep cover guns are good secondary carry pieces and are not adequate for a primary arm. I carry mine as a backup or when I cannot carry a larger gun due to concealment concerns. I am never far away from something more powerful! The tatical crowd will flame me for this, but-----I carried a 5 shot snubbie for years as a concealment arm, frequently without a reload. I put my Kel tecs in my pants just like I do my pocket knife. It's always there, and usually as backup to something more powerful! There are times when dress dictates deep concealment when I can only carry one of these. It makes me feel a little more comfortable!
Savage

Offline Chesapeake Troller

Question on Kel-tec
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2003, 11:18:38 AM »
I just bought one today and was looking for a supplier of "wallet style" hostlers(sp?). My dealer told me kel-tec does not supply them. Very excited about the gun, fits great inside a suit jacket pocket or blue jeans back pocket. Thanks to all for your reviews, it helped.

Troller

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2003, 02:28:34 PM »
Chesapeake Troller,
Try one of the pocket clips available from Kel tec. It allows for IWB carry in the eleven or one O clock position. This is a good carry mode for deep cover. The little Kel tec vanishes this way! If you find a wallet for the kel tec be sure to check the legality of the specific item. Some are outlawed. Like the one that came with my Hi Standard derringer.
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2003, 07:15:39 AM »
Chris,
I think you're right on that. I made a pocket holster for my P-32 out of an eye glass case, it broke up the outline of the gun pretty well for pocket carry. I just cut the top of the case off where it was just deep enough to contain the gun, then stiched around the outline of the gun to hold it upright and aid it retention. It worked as well as any pocket holster and didn't cost anything.
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2003, 04:28:16 AM »
Chris,
Haven't mastered the pic post thing yet. I'll send you a pic to your email and you can post it if you like.
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2003, 04:50:05 AM »
Chris,
Pics should be in you Inbox.
Savage

Offline Savage

Kel-Tec P380
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2003, 06:00:42 AM »
Didn't realize how ugly that holster was till I took the picture! Still, it holds the gun upright and keeps the trash out of it. You can leave the back side of the case long and fold it over, then stitch in to the bottom half. This eliminates printing altogether, but adds a little more bulk to the package.
Anyway, you get the idea, and it didn't cost anything!
Savage