Author Topic: side play  (Read 498 times)

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
side play
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:54:05 AM »
I just got back from vacation and it turned out to be a good week. After several years of trying I reaquired  my first gun that I sold over 20 years ago. It's an H & R Topper Jr model 490 20 ga. with an AR prefix. Talk about a trip down memory lane when I saw the old girl. Unforunately the guy that had it didn't take the best care of it. I cleaned up the rust on the barrel pretty good with some very fine steel wool. The bore looks great and it still shoots good. My question is how do I tighten up the considerable side play when the action is open? I looked in the centerfire FAQ's but didn't see anything. Also is there anything I can do to restore the color case hardening finish? It's gone on the bottom of the reciever.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: side play
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:08:24 AM »
45/70

As for the play , you can put a thin cardboard or plastic shim between the the forarm and the forarm spacer , just remove the forarm , take out the 2 wood screws and cut a shim from some thin material , just try diffrent layers till you find what works , then trim around the spacer to make the shim look like it belongs there .

Not sure what to tell you about the case color as i have never done that .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »
45/70,

H&R will reblue and color case harden finish the H&R 1871 LLC (current models) guns, but I don't know about the older H&R's. It used to be $10 for the barrel reblue, $15 for the color case hardening, and $10 for shipping. Might be worth a call to see if they will do it, the toll free number is 866-776-9292. $35 isn't bad to get her looking like new again, if they will do it??? If they will do it, you might get them to tighten her up too.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 02:11:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I had a spare forearm from a Handi, I tried that spacer and it tightened up alot. There is a little play at the top when locked up. I'm gonna try rotating the hinge pin and see if that helps. If I can get some free time at work I'm gonna call and ask about Busta's suggestions. It would great if they still do it and $35 would be even better.