Author Topic: Ground hog hunting with the 204 ( 243 ) Ultra Varmint fluted.  (Read 6110 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Ground hog hunting with the 204 Ultra Varmint fluted.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »
Today I finly got a shot at the one that hangs out at the corner of the field. When I pulled into the field again today I was surpised to see two of them at that corner. But they disapeared quickly. I got the gun out and set up and waited to see if he would come back out like others here have said. It took about fifteen minutes and there he was. It was probably about 300 yards I aimed about 4 inches high and squezed the triger to my surprise he just stood there and then run into the high grass. I think I shot over his head or I just plain missed. I really need to get a range finder. This guy is really begining to urk me. I will get him sooner or later.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline 300winny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2007, 02:17:59 PM »
IVe done that more than once Dale, when i first got my 300 i missed probably 10 - 15  in a row i shot right over them i just couldnt get myself used to the flat trajectory of the winny, and not having to hold over a long distance. and the first 4 hogs i shot at with my ultra varmint fluted right over them but i have that set to shoot 2.5 in high at 100 and i knew that and i still could'nt get my self to aim a little low with that rifle  But now i think i have both of my rifles figured out Finally!!. good luck on some more groundhog genocide  ;D

BILL

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2007, 06:38:10 PM »
Hey guys there is a couple other things that are interesting that I never mentioned the last few days. So I told you about the field the groundhogs like to hang out in the corner of the field. Well I was there early one morning looking for the hogs and a Doe just walked the field in front of me like I was not even there. I spotted her clear on the left and she just kept walking toward me then past me like I was not there. Like reading a book she went left to right. When she was directly in front of me it may have been 100 yards. Then there was a Ring Neck Pheasant that landed less than 50 yards from me and crossed between me and the doe. The pheasant got as close as maybe 50 feet. I was really having a good time that morning watching all the birds and wildlife in this field.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 05:36:37 PM »
Who said that animals don't have a calendar and know when the seasons are.  They know when they are safe.  I have had similar experiences more than once.  I have even had deer pass within 75 yards while I was talking with a co-worker.  As long as we kept talking, she just browsed, when we stopped talking to look at her she became alert and started away from us.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 04:42:44 PM »
well guys I got another today!!! He was a big smart one that seems to book it when I pull in. I would wait for up to an hour for him to come back out of his hole. This has gone on for weeks. I showed up there this morning and I don't think he was even awake yet because he never came out as I waited. Well I thought well my belly is growling so I went home to get something to eat. He only lives a couple miles from me so no big deal. After eating I went to the other field first where I have killed several this season. I think they know the sound of my truck.  ( LOL ) I sat there a good while. Maybe an hour. These guys are smarter than you think!!!!!!!!!! Well I headed to the field from there. When I pulled in I did it real slow because I knew he would be up there on the left. I did not even try to get close because he is a smart one. I even pulled the keys out of the truck so when I opened the door it would ding forever. I have pulled in before and when I open the door and he hears that ding he hi tails it. Well I moved very slow. ( No noise from the door ding ) He was up ther digging another hole. He did look up but by the time he did it was lights out. It really was not a long shot maybe 125 yards maybe a little further but he did not know what hit him.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 05:01:28 PM »
.  As long as we kept talking, she just browsed, when we stopped talking to look at her she became alert and started away from us.

Reminds me of what happened to a friend last fall. He was using my dad's enclosed blind. He opened the door, tossed his .44 on the swivel seat, and proceeded to walk around the blind opening the windows. Halfway around, he sees a huge buck, it's been curiously watching him. When he sees the buck, he starts to move real slow and stealthy towards the door to get his pistol. The deer raised the white flag and took off as soon as my friend started acting like a predator.

Offline 300winny

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »
Alright!!! nice shootin dale, Thats better than the luck ive been having, ive been in a two week drought. Last week i saw 3 but one didnt give me a safe shooting angle so i moved to get a better angle and he wouldnt come back out and another one i was stalking and i was in pretty tall grass and i was gettin ready to take a knee for the shot and a damn turkey was bedded down not five yards from me and decided to take off and he scared the ground hog and the crap right out of me and the last one i saw he was on his way to the hole in a hurry so needless to say ive had no luck but there is always next week.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »
Well guys I got another this morning!!!!! He was another of those smart ones. I have missed this guy a few times but got him today. The really cool thing was the farmer did a second cut of the field yesterday. I was tickled pink when I pulled in this morning. I sat there for about an hour scoping the field. Well way out there in another field up on the hill.( it had to be at least 600 yards ) I see these 2 groundhogs. Well at this point I have not seen anything else so I figure I would pull down the road another 200 yards to get closer to the ones on the hill. Well while I was setting up to take a shot at one of them I looked to my right witch runs along a stream. There was one of the guys I have shot at a few times but at alot further distances. I just forgot about those ones on the hill and fired at him. It was maybe 200 yards. When I pulled the trigger I saw him flop but he got back up and ran. I walked down to where I thought I shot him but could not find him. This year up until now they have all been bang flops Mostly head and chest shots. At distances over 200 yards I aim for the chest area. Under that I try head shots. I would think I did not hit him just right this time and hope he did not take to long to die. I do not want to see any animal suffer but sometimes this does happen.

Offline 300winny

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 03:40:08 PM »
Daaammmmnnnnn!!!! dale, you're killin the hell out of them, GOOD WORK ;D Im hopin to go out this week as long as the two farmers do their second cut, they told me last week that they would prolly be doing it this week so i can only hope. Oh and by the way, does any of your wives ever say "I think your suffering from an "ADDICTION"???? mine says that to me all the time when i go out hunting these little critters.  i tell her she'll never understand.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »
I went down to the gas station yesterday morning and got a cup of tea like I do every morning. From there I went to the fields to look for some groundhogs and drink my cup of tea. I came home about 1 1/2 hours later and she said where have I been and did I get lost. I told her I got another and I was out looking for groundhogs. She said you have a problem that every weekend and on the way home from you go shoot those poor inacent animals and I should not be murdering them. I said but it's fun though. She just walked away in disgust. ::)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 05:48:28 PM »

We don't have any groundhogs here in Florida but we did in WV when I lived up there for a year. I was wondering if y'all ever do anything with the hides from them? My wife used to have a history teacher that could talk for an hour on the merits of groundhog shoe laces. You never see them any more.

I always thought a groundhog hide would be just about the right size for a shooting bag for a muzzleloading outfit.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »
I have never heard of anyone doing anything with the hides. I have heard of a few people that eat them. Most people just let them lay where they die. Kind of like prarie dogs.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2007, 07:03:25 PM »
Tim I know my wife and daughter will not eat one. If it don't come from the grocery store they will have nothing to do with it. I although may consider cooking one up to see how they taste. Thanks for the links.

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2007, 03:40:29 AM »
that is to bad dale. young groundhog is good eating.  and what about squriells,deer,quail, and pheasant. all very tastey critters!! shoot an old hillbilly like me has been known to enjoy young coons to. take care and have fun.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2007, 04:34:13 AM »
Took me about 5-6 years before my wife would try it (wildgame) but now she loves it.

Offline Dusty Wheeler

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 07:21:17 AM »
We have rock chucks here in eastern Idaho.  Glad to see the recipes for woodchuck--might have to cook the next chuck.

.30-30 handi arrived yesterday--it is a sickness!

Anybody ever measure the DB's of various rounds?  I agree with noise being a factor in getting permission to hunt a farm and am curious about the 'quieter' rounds.  I'm thinking of a 110 gr soft point at about 1800 to 2000 fps out of the new .30-30.  Any thoughts?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2007, 07:42:24 AM »
Here's some  info on relative sound levels of different firearms.

Tim

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dusty Wheeler

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:14 AM »
Thank you sir.  Very helpful as usual!
Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2007, 05:23:42 AM »
Well guys I got another one this morning. he was at the other end of the field. I counted the steps it took me to get there after I shot him. It took 376 steps when I got back to the truck I pulled out my tape measure to see how long my steps were I average 2 feet to a step so that puts him at about 250 yards. I spoke with the farmer yesterday and he told me I could hunt deer there this season. He also told me where there are at least 30 Turkeys hanging out. Then he went on to tell me about how there was a Coyote and a couple Bobcats hanging out behind his barn. He says the Bobcats keep him up at night and they sound like a baby crying. Looks like I have some other varmints to hunt there soon.

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: Ground hog hunting with the 204 ( 243 ) Ultra Varmint fluted.
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2007, 04:42:32 AM »
Well guy's I have swapped barrels and scopes on my groundhog set up. I also changed the stocks to the Ultra Varmint. I now will be hunting these vermin with the 24 inch 243 bull barrel topped with the Mueller 8.5x25x44 scope. I have the stocks and barrel on the receiver. I am just waiting to receive my scope from the dealer. I hope I have it by next weekend so I can get it sighted in and then get out to the farm. I changed set ups because I have about cleared my favorite field of them and across the creek I have a few laughing at me saying you can't reach me HA HA. They are every bit of 600 plus yards and I would like to be able to reach out to them. I hope I can get this barrel to shoot the lighter 58 grain Hornady Vmax.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2007, 08:16:56 AM »
Wow Dale,sounds like you have become addicted to groundhog hunting!Sounds like your doing well at it and having alot of fun good for you. ;)
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2007, 04:46:27 PM »
I do believe I am going through groundhog hunting with draw!!!!!!!! With all the changes and waiting for the new scope I have not been out in a week now. It seem strange not hitting the field after work or on the weekends. I hope I can hold out till next weekend. I am like a little kid the week before Christmas.

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »
Waiting for our toys is like watching a pot of water waiting for it to boil! Hope it don't take too long.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »
Waiting for our toys is like watching a pot of water waiting for it to boil! Hope it don't take too long.
Well said.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2007, 07:29:34 AM »
Be sure to let us know how you like the Mueller 8x25x44 scope.My next scope is going to be a Mueller,not sure which one yet but thats what makes it fun.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2007, 09:30:29 AM »
i second the motion on news about that scope dale.i hope there is a new rifle in my future!! GULP!!! may not be a nef tho.i have upped the score to 16 whistle pigs with the ultra varmint 22 mag.i got my heart set on a pair of 17 rimfires. the hmr should do ok on groundhogs out to a 100 yrds. or so.take care and have fun.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »
Hey guy's. I am going nuts here. I am thinking I might not get the scope by this weekend!!!!!!!! The money has not cleared my account yet. :'( :'( I hope they have shipped it but don't know.

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »
Money usually clears before someone ships. I wouldn't hold my breath!!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2007, 04:20:20 PM »
Guy's I hate to part with it but I have to sell the 204 barrel. It is in the classifieds. If you have read this thread you know it shoots.   Dale