Author Topic: Ground hog hunting with the 204 ( 243 ) Ultra Varmint fluted.  (Read 6107 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Ground hog hunting with the 204 ( 243 ) Ultra Varmint fluted.
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2007, 12:52:09 PM »
Well guys I finally received the 8.5x25x44 Muller scope today. I just mounted it on the 243 a few minutes ago. I am tickled pink that I have it now. It looks to be some what more clear on the higher powers than the 6x24x40 Bushnell Banner I had before. It looks like it has a paint run on the inside where the AO bell is. You know where the sunshade would screw into. It is not on the glass so I will get over it. I was also some what surprised of the size of this scope. It longer and bigger around than the Banner. Them pesky Groundhogs in the other field better beware now. Like I said before these guys are laughing at me saying Ha Ha you can't get me. Some are 600 + YARDS. I got some bad news for them now. I will be going to the range early Sat. morning to get things sighted in. The range I shoot at has 100,   200, and 300 yard back stops. I will be taking a few boxes of shells and doing some real practice. the thing that stinks is I can only shoot 300 yards there. I think I will sight it in at 200 yards because almost all my shots now are further than that. Can some one give me some advice on what grain bullet to start out with? I will be trying the Hornady and the Winchester factory ammo. If you guys have any other factory ammo that shoots well at long ranges let me know. I am about to take my Groundhog hunting to the next level but it is going to take some practice good ammo and a little luck.  Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2007, 01:00:54 PM »
Congrats on finally receiving the long awaited scope!! For GHs, the Winchester Supreme 55gr Ballistic Silvertip would be one to try, it has been reported to shoot well in 243 Ultras before, the Rem 80gr PSP shoots good in one of mine, the rest of the factory ammo I've tried that's good is 95gr-100gr Federals, but they're more suitable for deer, but would work fine on critters too, specially at the longer ranges in wind. There's also a 95gr Win Ballistic Silvertip that shoots very well and would work for either.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2007, 09:13:12 PM »
dale, thanks for the feedback on the scope. for the groundhog shooting you are looking at now i would use the sierra 70 gr. blitz or 80 gr. blitz.one of those is a boatail. i would look at imr 4895 for powder or aa2595. varget is a little faster but also a Canidate.many years ago when i was able to be afield a lot i shot 1 load in a 243 for everything. sierra 85 gr.hpbt and 37.5 grs. of imr 4895.took deer, antelope, yote, whistle pigs, etc.at that time with that load if i could see it i could kill it. take care and have fun!! thanks again for the feed back on the scope i will probably get one on the way next month. it will go on my new 17hmr. GULP sorry guys it ain't a nef. it's even a b- -   - t gun for shame!!!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »
Boy I had a really long and expensive day at the range today. :'( My day started at 9:00 am I went to Walmart to buy some 50 something 243 ammo and all they had was 100 grain stuff. I then went to Kmart and that is all they had to. I then drove 30 miles to Gander Mountain and they were about out of 243 ammo. They did have the Winchester 55 grain ballistic silvertip bullets with the Lublox coating. Even though they were $30.00 a box I bought the only box of them they had because Quick said there have been good reports of people using them. I finally got to the range at about 10:30 and got set up. I looked through the bore and centered it on the target at 100 yards.I then proceeded to bring the scope on target but ran out of adjustment about 12'' to the left of the target. Turns out when I installed the rings. The rear ring had a gap on one side and it was tight on the other. I went to the truck and looked in my tool boxes and the only allen wrench missing was the one I needed. I new where it was. It was in my bedroom where I put the rings on. I had to pack everything up and drive home to get the allen wrench. When I got back to the range I adjusted that ring and was able to get the scope on target. I fired 3 rounds and none of them hit the paper. I could not figure out where they were hitting. I then moved to about 50 yards and fired 3 more stiil missing the paper. :'( I then moved to 25 yards and found I was hitting way high and way right. It took the rest of the box to get it hitting the bull some what on the regular basis. I then called a gun shop 15 miles away to see if they had the same ammo. They did not but they did have Hornady 58 grain Vmax coated bullets so I drove out there and bought 2 boxes of them at $26.00 a box. I drove back to the range and got it sighted in at 200 yards. I was getting groups about 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 200 yards. I then headed to the farm I have been hunting this summer. I was there 5 minutes when a Groundhog showed himself. I shot him and it was a bang flop. I was real suprised at the damage this round did. It just about ripped him in half. I do like this scope better than the Banner I had before. You still have to get your eye just right to see through it at higher powers but is more clear than the Banner.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »
Dale, been there, done that!! I ALWAYS start at 25yds with a rifle that's only been bore sighted, I've wasted waaaay too much ammo trying at 100yrds, the only way that works is if you have a huge target to see the hits on.

I drove to the range Wednesday with 8 rifles to shoot, 6 of them had only been bore sighted, when I drove into the parking lot, it was about half full, bad sign..... there wasn't an empty bench on the short range and shooters were waiting for a bench, so I didn't stay, I coulda tried what you did on the big range, but I don't care to shoot all my ammo up trying to get on paper. Usually my bore sighting puts me on paper at 50yds, but even then it isn't 100% of the time.

I would recommend you buy some cheap ammo to get on paper, like Remington or Federal which are usually well less the $20 a box, even if they're heavier 80gr-100gr, they'll still get you on paper for a lot less money than the premium stuff.

Tim

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00129243AS

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 12:27:34 PM »
Tim I spent $82.00 on ammo today. I really have to start reloading. The other thing is the gun would pop open 9 out of 10 times. So I guess I need to work on the latch. I really don't know how to do this. I know it is in the FQA's but I still don't know if I can do it. The Winchester ammo has what appears to be steel brass. Can this brass be reloaded?   Dale

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2007, 12:33:03 PM »
dale, thanks for the feedback on the scope. is that the one they call the eradictor or something like that?i have been thinking about a Mueller apv for my new hmr.start reloading as soon as you can for the 243. in the 70's and 80's reloads outperformed factory stuff by a bunch. i don't have any experience with modern factory stuff but i bet you can find a load  that your 243 barrel Will shoot under a moa.take care and have fun!!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2007, 12:45:41 PM »
ozarkhillbilly49 No this scope is not the Eradicator. This is the same scope but the Eradicator has a lighted reticle. I really see no need for paying more money for a lighted reticle. I think the scope I received was one that someone returned. It just did not seem to be packaged like it would have been from the factory. It also has a paint run on the inside of the AO where the sunshade would screw in. The lens covers were also scratched. If I wern't going through Groundhog with draw and I did not get it from Ebay I might have returned it.        Dale

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »
dale forgot to ask what was the range on that whistle pig? did you get him with the vmax?i am chomping at the bit to get my reloading bench setup and try some of these modern components!!it's tough being an old f---t that has been out of touch with shooting for some years. take care and have fun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »
Dale,

The Win Supreme ammo is nickle plated brass, some reloaders love it, some hate it, I haven't reloaded enough to hate it yet, have had no problems with it other than split necks when I tried to resize 30-06 brass to .338-06, it didn't work.

If I were you, I'd get a Lee Classic loader and reload the brass you have, or just buy a bag of 243 brass and have at it, for the money you spent on that ammo, you could have had everything you needed to load a lot of ammo, powder is <$20 a bottle, primers $3 a hundred, brass about $15-$18 per 50, bullets are $18-$25 a box of 100 for the Ballistic Silvertip varmint bullets, others are less expensive. You want a dial or digital caliper too, and maybe a scale, although many folks just you the dipper that comes with the loader.

Tim

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/51

Lee Loader

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »
dale , thaks for the info on the scope i will go looking here in a minute. if the price ain't to steep mite get one for the 243 this month and one for the hmr in a month or 2. the apv should be plenty for a 17 hmr but i would rather have to much scope than not enuff to fully exploit a rifle.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
dale forgot to ask what was the range on that whistle pig? did you get him with the vmax?i am chomping at the bit to get my reloading bench setup and try some of these modern components!!it's tough being an old f---t that has been out of touch with shooting for some years. take care and have fun.
   It was 210 steps. I average 2 feet per step so that works out to be about 140 yards. Not a long shot by any means but it was my first kill with the new barrel and scope. I new I hit him when I just saw the tail waiving a few times. It seems that every one I have shot after a hit they will wave their tail.     Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
There are other difference between the Eraticator and Tactical other than the 50mm vs 44mm objective, the Eraticator has 1/8moa adjustments compared to ¼moa on the Tactical, it also has superfine X-hairs and a micro dot that covers just over ¾" at 200yds, and the illumination isn't required for the reticle to be seen, in fact in bright daylight, it's hard to see the red dot, it just looks black whether it's turned on or not. ;)

Dale, check the latch engagement as per the barrel fitting info, you may need to hone the latch shelf just a tad, IF there's no barrel gap.

Tim

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2007, 01:16:20 PM »
good shot dale. i have ran myself out of whistle pigs. i was shooting a 22 mag in some close fields. i was planning on trying to leave 2 or 3. part of getting to shoot there was the promise to kill 'em all.this young farmer and his wife have been awful good to me. 4 wheelr rides to the stands. large jugs of ice tea, sanwitches, the whole 9 yards!! he even built 2 quick and crude but effictive benches and set in tree lines for me!! fine treatment!!!

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
thanks for info tim!! i am still reeling under the selection of equipment nowadays!! back in my day we had pretty much 3 options on scopes. weaver, redfield or leopold. so much to chose from today!! dale i agree with tim on the lee classic.don't be afraid to pick up used reloading gear also' i got a nearly new forester coax press at a yard sale. less than half of new price.i would buy new dies tho and clean the daylights out of the brass before sizing!! that sure keeps down scratches and gouges in your dies.your 243 will be a real shooter when you find the load she likes!!!! ain't no slouch of a sooter now with factory stuff!! take care and have fun!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »
There are other difference between the Eraticator and Tactical other than the 50mm vs 44mm objective, the Eraticator has 1/8moa adjustments compared to ¼moa on the Tactical, it also has superfine X-hairs and a micro dot that covers just over ¾" at 200yds, and the illumination isn't required for the reticle to be seen, in fact in bright daylight, it's hard to see the red dot, it just looks black whether it's turned on or not. ;)

Dale, check the latch engagement as per the barrel fitting info, you may need to hone the latch shelf just a tad, IF there's no barrel gap.

Tim
Tim The one I have also has the 1/8 moa. It is printed on the top of the dial. The other differnce would be mine is a milldot.    Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2007, 01:38:42 PM »
You're right Dale, guess I was thinking of the TacII.   :-\

Sorry,

Tim

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2007, 01:47:20 PM »
mueller appears to be a good scope. i haven't heard any negatives on them so far.i have 2 rifles to finish dressing. a 243 and a  17 hmr. both will be used mainly on varmits!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
Tim I don't get to be right to often. ;D  Ask my wife. As far as it popping open I was thinking I could give it a couple swipes of a file. The next time out if it still does it I could give it a couple more swipes. Am I wrong in this thinking? To be honest I am afraid to file anything. Thanks Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2007, 02:18:16 PM »
I wouldn't recommend a file, one swipe may be too much, it's better to use a stone, that way you won't take too much off at a time, if you do, the barrel won't lock up tight. A stone is the better choice, it's also easier to keep it flat since it's not as aggressive. If you don't have a flat stone, use some 400 or 600 wet/dry wrapped around a flat file.

Hillbilly, I have several Mueller scopes, 6 to be exact, I have the Eraticator on my 204 Ruger Handi, haven't killed anything but paper with it, but it does that extremely well!! ;D No groundhogs here, in fact no varmints within about 100 miles of me!! :'(

Tim

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »
I wouldn't recommend a file, one swipe may be too much, it's better to use a stone, that way you won't take too much off at a time, if you do, the barrel won't lock up tight. A stone is the better choice, it's also easier to keep it flat since it's not as aggressive. If you don't have a flat stone, use some 400 or 600 wet/dry wrapped around a flat file.

Hillbilly, I have several Mueller scopes, 6 to be exact, I have the Eraticator on my 204 Ruger Handi, haven't killed anything but paper with it, but it does that extremely well!! ;D No groundhogs here, in fact no varmints within about 100 miles of me!! :'(

Tim
Tim can I just call you?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2007, 02:54:03 PM »
Sure! ;D

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2007, 03:03:42 PM »
Record the conversation and upload it :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2007, 03:07:54 PM »
Too late, it was all said and done when I replied "sure"!! ;D That's my story and I'm stickin to it!! ;D ;D ;D

Tim

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2007, 03:31:03 PM »
tim you are lucky!! i got more varmits here than you can shake a stick at!!! this lttle town is the county seat and the home of wal-mart!!plenty of varmits, just not legal to shoot!!take care and have fun!!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2007, 04:13:31 PM »
With another big thanks to Tim. He was nice enough to walk me through smoking the shelf and honing the thing the latch catches. I think I have full latch engagement now. I will know next time I take it out to shoot. For those that have never done this before be very carefull how much you remove!!!! A little is alot. I was real suprised when I smoked the latch between honing. It only takes a few strokes. My advice if you have never done this before would be take a couple strokes and smoke it. Take another couple strokes and smoke it. You could over due it real easy.         Dale

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2007, 01:42:15 AM »
I have a 8.5x25 mueller tactical on my savage 17hmr and have one on order for my 788 222, so far the one on my hmr has been working great and have killed ground hogs out to around 250 yards using it, I too dont see spending the extra money for the eraticator,but really wish mueller would start giving a non illuminated dot as an option for the 8.5x25 tactical.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2007, 05:35:07 AM »
How much Holdoever do you use with a  HMR  at 250 Yards ?

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2007, 06:19:19 AM »
Well guys I had a real good Groundhog morning. I killed 3 this morning. :o ;D One was pat 200 yards 1 was at 175 yards. This one was a head shot and blew his eyeball out. The last one pretty close to 200 yards. I have not hunted this field in a few weeks because of getting the 243 set up and I think they forgot about me. They were all bang flops. Thanks to Tim again the gun did not open 1 time after being shot. Looks like that problem is fixed.       Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2007, 06:20:31 AM »
Glad ya got er done!!! :D

Tim