Author Topic: How many rounds through your....  (Read 569 times)

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
How many rounds through your....
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:42:09 AM »
Well...let me start off by saying I don't have an H&R/NEF, but I've been wanting to pick one up for quite a while...
Problem is, every time I decide I need one...my local shop puts something else I've been eying on sale.

I'm just curious, how many rounds do ya'll have through your 12gauges and how many times have you had to work it over/fix it?

I looked at a used NEF a few years back at a local pawn shop, priced at a screamingly low $25...unfortunately, it was EXTREMELY loose. Otherwise it was in good shape--probably should have bought it just for parts...oh well!
While it doesn't seem this is a common result of use with these guys, I'd like to know what kind of life span I can expect on a basic 12gauge version.

Understandably, a lot of HARD use can accelerate wear at the hinge. Is there anything else to look out for?

Thanks!!!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: How many rounds through your....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:04 AM »
I have passed on a few that I should have bought too over the years!

Properly cared for these guns should last a long time.  I plan on giving several of mine to grandchildren one day.  That being said there is some wear at the hinge over the lifespan of the firearm, but someone else here will probably add their thoughts to repairs needed in that case much more knowledgeable than me! a loose fit can be fixed and instructions can be found in the FAQ section.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »
If you primarily use it during hunting seasons only it should last you your lifetime and then some as long as you keep it clean and lubed.  Even if you shoot a lot of trap it should last you a long, long time if you take reasonable care of it and keep the hinge pin lubricated.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline .450Marlin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:57:06 AM »
I can't count the number of shells that have gone through the Topper Youth 20 gauge I traded in yesterday. I hated to let it go, but I badly needed the money...anyways, the little bugger is older than I am, perhaps considerably. My dad got it used back in 1985 from my cousin; he broke the firing pin the first time he shot it (he was using express loads I think), had the firing pin replaced and that was that--no more problems of any kind ever. That gun was probably made in the late '70s or early '80s, but either way, it's and oldie. I shot more game with it than any other firearm I've ever owned, and it always worked great. It never failed to eject a shell with authority, and as long as I did my part, whatever I put the bead on, I hit. I'm missing it already, but I have a replacement or two already lined up. I'm sure it'll go to a good home too....maybe if it doesn't, I'll buy it back later ::) So, based on my experience, you can't beat the little H&R single shots for consistent reliability; they certainly have no equals for anywhere near the price in my honest opinion.

Kind Regards,

.450Marlin