Author Topic: New slug gun  (Read 859 times)

Offline kb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
New slug gun
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:46:18 AM »
Hi All,

Im thinking of getting a 20 ga single shot for deer hunting, and Im looking at the NEF ultra or the tracker, ect.  My big question is aside from the weight of the barrel (and the price), is there really a differance in accuracy? 

Id rather not drag such a heavy gun around, but if it is an accuracy issue, Id consider it.  Thick barrels help with heat when at the range, but when deer hunting only 1 or 2 shots are really necessary.

Also, what is better, to get slug gun and have a rife barrel fitted to it, or the other way around? 

Thanks

kb
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New slug gun
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »
A rifle frame can take shotgun barrels but not the other way around. But cannot take the 12 ga ultra slug hunter it goes on the 10 ga frame. But a 12 ga tracker II can goe on a rifle frame & the 20 ga tracker II & ultra slug
hope this helps
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
Also, don't forget, the Tracker barrels DO NOT come D/T'd for a scope.  The have open sights.  You also might consider the YOUTH 20ga USH.  It is 22" long and just a bit lighter than the standard USH.  If you plan on using a scope that would be my reccomendation.  I have read here that the accuracy is near the same with both the Trackers and the USH.  Good Luck with your choice.  You won't be disappointed with either one you get.  They are great little shooters.  I have a Tracker I smooth bore and I really like it.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline bakabob

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:18 AM »
How you hunt is important for this decision.  If you hunt from a stand and only have to carry the gun to and from the stand weight really is not a problem.  Slung over your shoulder they carry easy.  My 20 ga ultra weighs 9 1/2 lbs with scope and I have no problem toting it and I am 75 years old.  However if you mainly still hunt a lighter gun would probably suit you better.  I am quite sure the Ultra would get down right heavy after an hour or so of walking.  As already mentioned the Ultra comes ready for a scope but the tracker does not.  Either way you can't really go wrong as they are great little guns. 

Offline Blammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »
I recommend getting a rifle frame, have a 20 ga ultra slug barrel put on it (the one with the scope mount)

I have one and am pleased with it. It's about as heavy as my 243 win barrel.

If you then want to load 20 ga slug loads for it. That are cheap and accurate PM me I'll tell you what I'm doing.