Author Topic: Youth 20ga  (Read 623 times)

Offline rosharb

• Trade Count: (0)
Youth 20ga
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:42:35 AM »
My granddaughter is 10 and this is her first year of turkey hunting.  I would like to get a youth model 20ga for her as it fits her a lot better than the the old pump that I cut the stock off to fit. I am worried the recoil of the youth model might be too much because it is so light. She didn't like the recoil of the pump but it doesn't fit her well. Does anyone have experience with the youth gun?

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Youth 20ga
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 04:25:58 AM »
My son is 6 and weighs 50 lbs wet.  He can tolerate the recoil of the 20 gauge with 7/8 once target loads.  A 3" turkey load is a real thumper.  I'm sure it would knock him into next week, and probably ruin his shooting.  The high brass 2 3/4 is also too much for him to try.

What I've done is fill the syn stock with lead ingots wrapped in plastic wrap and a rag to fill the rest of the void.  Of course this makes the gun a lot heavier to shoulder, so we also put the Caldwell bipod on the forearm as well.  I got the longer ones so he can shoot even if he is standing.

Another alternative is to use "Little Skeeter" gauge reducers.  Midway has them and for 50 bucks for two and then you can have a 410 shotgun as well.  Just plan on getting the turkeys real close.  I saw some 3" #4 shot 410 that should take a turkey.  Those gauge reducers will also work in a pump, just try not to let them fall on a stone, because they are aluminum and will chip or dent.

Also if you plan on the youth model, it will probably come with a modified choke.  H&R sells extended turkey choke tubes, but when I tried to buy one the were out of stock and I settled for a full choke.  If you call them they will tell you it is a winchester choke, but it is a specific thread and pitch.  Someone told me before it was a invector type , but not the invector plus, so be careful.

I hope this helps.  Goodluck and congratulations.
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline chris s

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Youth 20ga
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:48:50 AM »
I know this is the H&R page but, I to was looking for a shotgun that was kid friendly. I purchased a REM 870 20 ga and then bought a Knoxx spec ops stock. The stock has two recoil reducers and is adj for pull. I have one on my 12ga and it works as advertised. I have to test and eval the 20 ga.