Author Topic: I hate public shooting ranges  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
I hate public shooting ranges
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »
I cannot wait so far from hunting net and here all i hear is good i cannot wait for for you info this should be good ill be on stand by and wait thanks and take care and good shooting.

Well..you will have to wait a little longer for my range report..While I did manage to get my new scopes on paper..unfortunately it was IDIOT DAY AT THE PUBLIC RANGE

I think every dumb butted stupid moron was out there today...I would get a 2 shot group going...and the jerks on either side of me would start shooting my target...If they weren't blasting my target...they would be unloading clip after clip with their 40's and 45 compensated guns hand guns..These  2 geezers on my right shooting in the same booth...and another on my left shooting his...I had to yell at them a half a dozen times and complained to the workers there to no avail...they seemed to be friends with them so they basically turned a deaf ear to my complaints......I thought it would get better when the 2 on my right finally left..but the guy on my left started shooting a ported 460 and the concussion was so bad I couldn't concentrate...so I just gave up...I had this problem last year about this time...so I guess I'll either have to join a club and spend $200-$600 a year for a membership or find some place in the National forest I can go and set up a target and shoot >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

If it ain't one thing it's another here lately...but the sad part of it is these kind of idiots is what the anti's see...and point out as to why folks should own guns... Oh well...maybe tomorrow after all the yard work is done...Time to get back outside and get at it..so I will have some time in the afternoon on Saturday...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: I hate public shooting ranges
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Mac, the last time I went on a busy day like that, I regretted it too, although I didn't have trouble with cross firing like that. :'(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »
i know ya can't do this today but about 30 years ago a buddy and i dove hunted this field , a public place , well each season more and more idiots came one shot another friend , well one day the feild we knew would be hot was over filled , well my buddy and i drove past stopped down the road and picked up about 8 empty beer cans then  we pulled up in the field both of us kicked out a few cans and when he loaded his gun he shot it in the ground , less than 5 min. went by and the two of us and about 5 more friends had a nice shoot ! I said idiots because on one trip we saw a guy shoot a pigeon near the barn and wade out in a manure pond to get it , it was a white dove to him and was going to be "stuffed " when he got out he and the bird were green with brown streaks !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 03:47:32 PM »
Place an add in your local news paper about the shooting range and the lack of help from the people working there. I bet that would change their attitude. Personally, if it were me, I would have gone up to those  geezer and told them to stop shooting my target before i bust one of their hips.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:31:42 PM »
Mac,do you have a local FOP?I  am an associate member at mine here.Only a couple of miles from gated range.Can go any time and shoot.We have a very nice pistol and rifle range.It only cost me $25 per year........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:58:01 AM »
Gave up on public ranges years ago and bought a chunk of land and build my own in my back yard.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 03:02:22 AM »
I used to belong to a gun club that had a very nice 200 meter rifle range.  But the landowner downrange from us decided to put in a housing development and claimed our bullets were hitting his property.  No evidence was ever provided, but our club leadership got scared and shut the rifle range down.

So I now I have to use the public range which is frustrating as hell.  I find if one can get up early and go to the range about 7 AM, you often have the place to yourself, or nearly so.  I also find the idiots do not start showing up until about 9 AM.  And that is when I am packed up and leaving!

I have seen so much unsafe gun handling and vandalism at that public range it is amazing the place has not been shut down.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 03:52:15 AM »
Place an add in your local news paper about the shooting range and the lack of help from the people working there. I bet that would change their attitude. Personally, if it were me, I would have gone up to those  geezer and told them to stop shooting my target before i bust one of their hips.

I did get into it with them..and said some things I normally wouldn't do...but..they didn't care...nor did the jerks running it at the time...I do know the nephew of the manager of the facility..and will be talking to him today.It's such a sad state of affairs for any public ranges around here..They don't open till 10am...so it gives all the idiots time to get there for the opening...If I could afford to buy some land..I would..The police have their own range and it isn't open to the public...I wonder why ::)

Mac

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 08:03:27 AM »
Simple! Become a police officer/ sheriff! then you can use the range anytime you want and only have to deal with idiot cops  ;D ;D

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »
Welll.......I'm gonna rub some salt in it here ;D......I went to my little Redneck Shooting Range today and was there for 3 hours all alone just shooting and enjoying myself. It's only a half mile from my house and I have permission to shoot on the property as much as I like as long as it's not during business hours. Got a nice pond dam in behind the targets for a backstop. Mac, you've been here but here are some pics for a reminder.

Looking from the targets back at my bench.

From the bench to the targets box.

Again from the tagets back to the bench. Take note of the propane tank near the building to the left.

Notice the close proximity to my house.

Redneck Toyota at the Redneck Range.

My shooting bench and my Savage 22-250.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
John,

Some guys have money and good looks, others are lucky and have a nice place to shoot!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 12:47:03 PM »
Well, fine i guess i will rub it in everyones nose. Its 60 yards but perfect for sighting in. My 100 yard shooting range is just 50 yards down the driveway. But the 60 yard shooting range is such a long walk from the house, as you can tell by the pic. But i will admit, im jealous of that other guys shooting table lol.

This is all i have for a shooting table but it will have to do for a while.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 12:55:59 PM »
But i will admit, im jealous of that other guys shooting table lol.

I like it! It has that certain.......something about it.  ;D

Rednecks Forever!! ;D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »
I belong to East Huntington Sportsmen association.It is 2 miles from my house. It cost $150.00 to buy a share of the club after that it is just $25.00 a year. The rifle range has back stops at 100  200 and 300 yards. I use this range often and almost never run into another shooter. The time it is most used is the weekend before deer opening. The cub also has about 25 pistol ranges and a indoor pistol range that is open in the winter. I can't believe how rude people can be. I could not believe someone shooting your target. I would say look around and find a club. then you won't have to deal with idiots.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 03:23:40 PM »
You think you guy's have it bad,I have to walk 10 pace's to my shooting spot. Its on my back patio,and I piled up some dirt with the backhoe 104 yds from the patio.The bad part is that everytime I shoot,the neighbors burro starts braying just about the time I pull the trigger.I'm thinking that I can stop some of the walking if I tear down the fence around the pool and shoot directly from my reloading bench after I open the window. ;D ;D ;D ;D And you guy's think you have it bad. ;D ;D ;D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 03:56:49 PM »
Elvis had it made. I was reading in some article on him and he used to open his bathroom window and shoot squirrels while he was doing his business on the pot lol. Now THAT is how i'd like to spend a day shooting. Put a little ice box next to me and im good to go.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 04:31:10 PM »

i have to admit i don't think i could make a habit of snacking in the bath room ! but thats me !

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 05:18:38 AM »
I see where "Range Rage" could occur!  :o  I am afraid that with fewer ranges being open for liability reasons, many will be discouraged
from getting into the sport, at least in the more Urban/Suburbian places.

I do alot of shorter range stuff in the back yard. My brother lives down the road & has a good 100yd. range by his house. A friend has a range with target stands at 100, 200 & 300 yards. It is on a farm that others don't have access to. A neighbor has a rice & bean farm
down on the Black River bottoms. He says I can shoot there, Looks like I can get 600+ yards there. Just another of a long list of reasons why country living is better, in addition to having access to hunting ground. It is the only way to live for someone like me & I
have no desire to change.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 11:36:03 AM »
i am a member of three clubs with ranges , one a rifle and pistol club with 10 ranges from 50 to 500 yards , the other two are skeet/trap clubs and one has a 100 yd. range the other 200 yard ! the r & p club has just gone thru. a legal fight for about a year and a half , we can only shoot at certain times and with certain guns now !
the other two are way out !so far so good ! all three are private but we still have the slob's show up so public or private its hard to find a good place to shoot at home i have a area where i can shoot about 80 yds but due to noise i only shoot a little ! my next move will be farther out , with hunting and shooting on the list of must have on the land i buy !

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 03:44:10 PM »
You guys that have the range nearby are blessed! I drive about 25 minutes and tickled to death to have that available. Ranges have closed right and left around Indianapolis. It getting harder to find a place to go. I joined a conservation/shooting range with 25,50 and 100 yard tables. We do have to share time with the skeet shooters. When they have a shoot, the range is closed but it works out.

Mac, as far as idiots, there maybe a fine line between an idiot and a senior moment! I setup last Monday at a table and waited for the range to go cold so I could go put up my targets in the frame. Walked down the range to the 100 yard frame, neatly taped my targets to the frame and proceeded to head back. I get back to the bench and the old gentleman at the table next to me motioned me over and says "either we are swapping benches or could you kindly take your target off my frame?" Next thing I know I am hustling down the range to move my targets one frame over.....talk about feeling like the village idiot! Well, I got some much needed exercize.

Mac, sorry to hear about the hassles!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 06:49:58 PM »

Mac, as far as idiots, there maybe a fine line between an idiot and a senior moment!

There is a major difference and no fine line really..What these "Idiots"... (and that is being way too kind) were doing.....they were doing deliberately...
Every body makes mistakes....We learn from them and move on...hopefully not making the same again...This wasn't a mistake...These are the type of clowns that gives anyone owning a gun a bad name...and the antis Poster Children for their B.S. they spread...

I won't be shooting there anymore...I'll wait till I can buy a membership somewhere that keeps these types of idiots off the firing line...It's a royal pain..but..something I need to do...

Mac

Offline IMshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 06:29:15 AM »
A couple of months ago I was at the Rocky Forks Conservation Area near Columbia, MO to use the public shooting range.  Four guys carried in a cardboard box filled with empty beer bottles and set them up on the ground.

The rules clearly state no shooting glass, shooting objects on ground, or leaving trash behind.  These fools did not see the game warden pull in behind them and proceeded to break every bottle with an AR-15, riot shotgun, and 9mm carbine.

To his credit, the game warden waited until the vandals were finished and had put the guns away before he arrested them.

I sent a letter of appreciation to the game warden's supervisor.  I hope they give that young man a medal.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 06:46:41 AM »
i hope he gets to bring back the idiots and make them clean up every piece of glass on the place ! acre by acre !

Offline Cknerr

• Antique Rifle Restoration
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 06:35:27 AM »
I too had similar experiances. The final straw was a bubba that walked out toward his target when I was shooting. When I screamed at him I was still shooting - tell me he is going to get his targets!!!!!.....his answer?  "..well quit shooting...."

Joined a private club to the tune of $600 initiatation and $300 dues a year. Pricey, but worth it. They are VERY strict on following rules. You do get the oppurtunity to apeal to the board for suspensions or getting kicked out. Usually that doesn't work, and your name and what you did is told to the membership as a lesson. There are few problems.

Still, we do have a few trouble makers. Thatnkfully the rules tend to keep them in check. Destruction and rudeness of what you where subjected to will get you thrown out on the spot. The appeal will be very short....and not in your favor.

Sorry to hear this. You would have been an interesting person to talk to and would offer all kinds of nifty tricks and tips, and likely even let them shoot what you brought to the range. So, instead of a civil interaction - they chose to intentionally and flagrantly act in a truculant manner. Gives not only anit-gunners fodder, it just plain adds aggrovation to life. Some people have such low esteem and character, they have to prop themselves up by acting out in this manner. Gives trailer trash a bad name!

Best of luck,
Chris

Chris K'nerr
Atlanta Woodwright's Studio, Inc.
Acworth, Ga. 30101
678-770-4274
678-574-5522 (h)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 07:36:06 AM »

Thanks Chris:

Sooner or later I'll find a good place to shoot...without the idiots being there...

Mac

Offline Dave Allen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 09:26:59 AM »
mac...sorry to hear about your troubles..."however" it's the same deal here in idaho...lucky for me the public range i use most of the time...isn't locked up...therefore...i show up in the summer time around 7-am...& sure enough 9:00-10:am it fill's up...the large percentage being bang-bang-shoot em up...type's...no wonder the anti's don't like us ?? anyway i'm probably going to join a club...good luck...

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 03:05:57 AM »
 I really wouldn’t count on it Mac.  One of life’s great mysteries is why God didn’t make the same number of front end and rear ends of horses. ::)
RJ

Offline FallingCrows

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 04:50:40 AM »
That's why I try to get to my public range in late afternoon or take a mid-week day out of work (cough, cough, boss I'm sick today)
I love the smell of Black Powder in the Fall

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 06:24:12 AM »
I really wouldn’t count on it Mac.  One of life’s great mysteries is why God didn’t make the same number of front end and rear ends of horses. ::)
RJ

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Your right...

FallingCrows...

It really doesn't matter when I go there...they are always there it seems...or arrive shortly after I do and set up next to me >:(

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 07:35:15 AM »

With a little luck...and a  Super wife...I have finally found a place to join...that doesn't cost an arm & a leg or a second mortgage on the house... :D :D :D

I'll be joining this club...http://www.shootingstl.com/facility.htm...and can't wait to join on Monday...

For those here in the St.Louis & surrounding areas...this is a top notch facility...and a great place to shoot..

Mac