Author Topic: How Many Cut Up Their Animals Without Gutting Them?  (Read 381 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
How Many Cut Up Their Animals Without Gutting Them?
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
  Was with a young man a few years ago that shot a Moose and totally disassembled it with out gutting it.  When he got done all that was left was the hide lying on the ground with the organs and intestines still in their membrane lying on top.  First time I ever saw anything like it.

First off the Moose was lying on it's belly, with all four legs under it.  The only tool he used was a short ax, one about 24 inches long.  He split the hide from base of the skull to the tail, then peeled it down on both sides.  First he cut off the head, got it out of the way.  Then he cut off the hind legs, got them out of the way.  Next was the front legs, and neck, and briskit.  Then he cut through the ribs, cut the diaphram loose, and removed them.  Then we lifted the back off as one of us reached under it and cut all connecting tissue loose.  Done.

This was the slickest job I ever saw.  He said an old cowboy taught him how to do that in Montana, when Elk hunting.  Just wondering if anyone else does it that way?
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: How Many Cut Up Their Animals Without Gutting Them?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:40:47 AM »
I haven't done it that way, but it sounds like a plan!
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:12:11 PM »
That's how I do deer...We de-bone practically everything...Also..when doing this way you can make a small incision at the short ribs and slide your knife between the tenderloin and backbone and take out the tenderloin.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 01:41:38 PM »
I read it in Field & Stream once.  I think it would come in handy especially if you're on your own.