Author Topic: Inside waistband holster- no way  (Read 2777 times)

Offline ATR

• Trade Count: (0)
Inside waistband holster- no way
« on: May 20, 2007, 02:58:18 PM »
The inside waistband holster seems popular ,,how do you guys carry like that , I tryed it with a small auto and it felt like a rock against my hip bone. Does it take awhile to get used to?
                                                                    atr

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Inside waistband holster- no way
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »
I have been carrying a 1911 for about 35 years now, and seldom even use a holster. I just stick it right behind the hip bone and go on. When I was a young cop back in the early seventies and on into the eighties I saw a lot of old Rangers (I'm from Texas) carrying the same way. Now everyone thinks they have to have a holster.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ATR

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 01:44:41 AM »
Dee,
       Have you been carrying the same 1911 for that long?
I've got the 1991/1911  I guess there the ultimate weapon.
I bought a stainless ppk a couple months ago , that fits my hand real good.

atr

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:39:15 AM »
No, I have built many 1911s over the years, and someone or something will come along and I have to build another. However, unless one of my son's wants one I will probably never build another. I and starting to get old and it doesn't interest me like it used to. The one I have been carrying for the last several years though I did not build. It is the Kimber TLE II Custom.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 11:22:39 AM »
Dee, its good to see I'm not the only one here who does not follow the "ALWAYS USE A HOLSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" crowd!!  Yeah, that spot right behind the hipbone was obviously created by Almighty God just for the 1911!! ;D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Paul S

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
I use an Uncle Mikes inside the waist holster with a Smith & Wesson 3913 in 9 mm. I carry it in the small of my back with the handle to my right side. I find it way more comfortable than carrying it on my hip. I have back problems and when I drive it actually feels good pressing lightly into the small of my back. The only times I don't like it is in a hard straight back wooden chair or one of those hard plastic seats that some booth tables at some  restaurants have.

Offline KN

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 02:27:04 PM »
It takes a good holster and a correct fitting pair of pants to comfortably carry inside the waistband. I use a couple of High Noon holsters that are very comfy for my Kimber and Kahr. A little forward cant will go a long way also when it comes to comfort.   KN

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:09:13 AM »
Yes it does take a little getting used to, and Yes it does require a Quality or better than the $6.95 holsters you see hanging on some racks, I used to be of the No Holster croud until one day I was wearing a pair of the polyester dress slacks and had a J frame 38 come down my pants leg while standing in line at a BANK, and guess what all the people in front of me left in a hurry and I was the next person the bank teller talked to, kinda imbarasing and that was in Mich. in the late 70s long b-4 concelled carry was a big thing (every one carried something then) unofically of course, I no longer wear a T-shirt under my main shirt and wear the inside the pants Don Haum Brand holsters for all my carry.  JIM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 02:16:51 AM »
Looks like me, Dee and Dusty feel the same.  I have carried one 1911 or another for the past 39 years and rarely use a holster.  I just stuff it into my belt over my right hip and there she stays.  I will use a holster when I am out working in the fields and working up a sweat, just to keep from the gun from getting rusted.  However, I have also found that a good hard car wax helps with that.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Lee Robinson

• Contributor
  • Aim small, miss small
    • Chimera Kennels - Swinford Bandogs
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 03:53:51 AM »
When carrying your gun inside your pants with no holster, is there a shirt between your gun and skin?
Help promote responsible pet and firearm ownership. Chimera Kennels

Offline Dee

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
When carrying your gun inside your pants with no holster, is there a shirt between your gun and skin?
Yes there is. As I said, when I was a youngster, and in my early years in L.E. I saw many old time Rangers (Texas) and sheriff deputies carry in this manner. I remember hearing a few of the college and city boys making remarks about it, but they made them quitely. The men I am talking about in those days were good men, but dangerous in a fight, with the records to prove it. I was proud to have some of them consider me a trustworthy friend in a bad situation, and I was in several. This new younger generation of equipment hungry guys could take a few lessons from these old warriors who had learned that simple, and straight forward was what won fights. It worked for me many times. The KISS principle when the chips are down, will usually prevail.  The willingness to fight when called on, and a clear head with practice with your tools, will always win over equipment.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 12:33:49 AM »
Well now, I have carried without a scabbard forever---well it seems forever, course my mind only operates on a 15 minute window---sometimes I have a tee on underneath the shirt, sometimes not--thank God for stainless and hard chrome.
I seem to prefer it this way. The scabbard sometimes gets in the way. I just stuff and go.
Now, I don't, like most, have it on me for 8 too 12 hours a day. I have it on me as long as I am away from the car, in one fashion or another. In the car/truck/suv/van-have I missed one  ??? ;)-it is in the console.
Sometimes, out of the car, I have one just dropped in my pocket. When out too eat, the movies this pocket gun is on me.
You do it your way--whatever you feel right with--and you will find it is easier than trying too comply with some rule that somebody said was correct and you will have it handy when and if it is needed.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 05:08:46 AM »
Take a look at the Bianchi model 100 series of IWB holsters. The inner leather panel of these holsters is much higher than any of the other makes. This shields the gun from your body, and your body from the gun. I would also suggest carrying the gun just in front of or behind your hip. That will let it blend into the soft tissue rather than bone. I carry mine just in front of my hip, between the hip and front pocket. This is the most comfortable for me carrying a Glock Mod 32 in .357 SIG.
Dave375HH

Offline jhm

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »
Im with DEE on the KISS system and I used to carry with a black nylon shoestring looped thru my belt loops, and I used to carry with rubber bands wrapped on the grip panels to to hold the handgun in place when it was stuffed into my waisband, but then again that was then when I wore a suit or sports coat everywhere, now Im in a climate where I dont and for the most part wont wear a suit unless its to my own funeral and I will complain about it until they close the lid, so its just the inside the waistband holsters for me, and the Bianchi 100 is also a good one as I hace one for a Officers moder I use when I do carry that one however I really like the Don haum brand and that extra piece of leather does keep it off od you and would be a nice feature on the Don H brand   JIM

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 01:55:12 PM »
I have two IWB holsters and for me it comes down to quality of the holster. I have one both for my Kahr and Smith J frame. I can see the ability to carry a 1911 without one, but the small framed pistols I would be afraid to because they could fall out rather easily. I worked mall security while going through college and someone would always find one or two pistols a year, and those are just the ones that got turned in. Depending on what size of gun you have, you might want to think about a pocket holster that way it won't dig into your hip.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline KN

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »
I don't want to sound like I'm stepping up on my soap box here but a lot of inexperienced readers are looking at the advise given here and frankly some of it is not very good. A quality holster is more than just a place to stuff your smoke wagon. It also protects the trigger. You will most certainly find that the majority of people that have managed to accidentally  shoot themselves have done so by stuffing in the pants without a holster. With some guns all it takes is a sharp corner of some thing bumped against and bang, there you go. Women digging in purses is a good example of a ND waiting to happen because they didn't see a need for a holster. Granted a Series 80 1911 would not be as prone to this as some pistols but you have indeed disabled one safety by exposing the trigger. I'll get off the box now and you all can carry any way you like. But I prefere to keep all my appendages in place. 50-100 bucks is a pretty cheap way of insuring that.   KN

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 03:07:41 PM »
Charley Miller when asked by a range officer, who had observed his method of carry, which was a 1911 on half cock and stuffed in his waist band, if that wasn't dangerous.
Miller said of course it is son, if it wasn't dangerous I wouldn't carry it.
If I was a professional, I would wear a scabbard. I own some nice ones from Horseshoe, but it is more convenient, just as safe and I don't have too worry about printing.
Been doing it this way long before it was legal too carry--1963 comes to mind.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 05:25:58 PM »
I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special that I carry my Officers model in. It does take a little getting used to. Just make sure you get a quality belt to go with it.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 04:56:10 AM »
Im with DEE on the KISS system and I used to carry with a black nylon shoestring looped thru my belt loops, and I used to carry with rubber bands wrapped on the grip panels to to hold the handgun in place when it was stuffed into my waisband, but then again that was then when I wore a suit or sports coat everywhere, now Im in a climate where I dont and for the most part wont wear a suit unless its to my own funeral and I will complain about it until they close the lid, so its just the inside the waistband holsters for me, and the Bianchi 100 is also a good one as I hace one for a Officers moder I use when I do carry that one however I really like the Don haum brand and that extra piece of leather does keep it off od you and would be a nice feature on the Don H brand   JIM

jhm, you bring up a couple of old memories about the shoe string and rubber bands. There used to be an old Ranger who carried with a thich rubber band around the grip safety to deactivate it. I also knew of some that had a set screw put in to pin it down.
Once a Ranger was "along for the ride" on one of my drug search warrants, and keep in mind the Rangers (at least back then) were sharp dressers. This partictular Ranger wore handmade boots, and matching handmade river belts. One for the pants and one for his 45 rig. As he walked thru the living room during the search, the resident druggie whom was sitting in a chair while we searched his house noted that the Ranger's pistol was cocked. He said; Uh, Sir, did you know that the hammer is back on you gun? The Ranger stopped, looked at the guy, then at his pistol, and then back at the guy, and said; It damm sure is, isn't it. The guy then said; That looks dangerous. The Ranger responded by saying; It is! and just walked off, leaving the guy with no further explanation. He just looked around the room at some of us, and we all started laughing, so to fit in the druggie started laughing too. He just didn't know why.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 05:23:37 AM »
I'm not a big fan of ISPH's.  I've tried 5 different brands/models.  The belt clip puts the gun up high and it wants to flip over.   

This is my post from from the thread "What's the lightest back-up.

I have a Kel-Tec P3AT with the metal spring clip attached.  I can stick on my belt inside of my pants the top of the grip shows but my regular tucked in shirt covers it.  It's not a fast draw but then in the real world it will be in my hand when needed.  It's so compact you hardly know it's there.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,118435.0.html

The clips works fine keeping the grip level with my belt but I've ran into another problem that is moisture from my body starting to rust the slide and barrel.  I solved this problem by taking a Uncle Mikes INPH for the P-11 and cutting off the belt clip.  I keep the slide and barrel oiled place the gun in the holster with the clip on the outside of the holster.  This stops the rusting.  This is the best I can come up with and still be comfortable it is used for both the 380 and the 9 Para.
If I can wear a coat or a shirt not tucked in the  P3AT rides in a Bianchi  Model 7506 – AccuMold® the P-11, Bianchi 105 Minimalist holster.  I I would happen to be carrying a full size gun (Series 70 Colt or Browning Hi-Power) it's usually with a suit jacket with a AccuMold holster.

Turk

In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 11:53:59 PM »
An ITP holster should be high.
If it tries to turn over there are several concerns.
Belt insecurity--belt needs too be good.
poor design and quality of scabbard.
Too much waistline---my problem---not a concern, however.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »
I just can't see carrying without a holster of some kind.  Seems too irresponsible to me.  JHM's situation is one that he could correct and did on the spot.  What if he lost his gun and didn't know it and some kid picked it up and shot themselves with it. 

The idea that a Texas Ranger did it so it must be ok, is romantic at best. 

Please be responsible and use a holster to carry your piece.  'nough said for safety!
Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline Mannlicher

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 10:33:35 AM »
good quality leather, and a good belt, go a long way to making IWB carry practical.   I do not recommend carrying
'Mexican' style, ie, no holster.  Too many things can go wrong.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 12:36:54 AM »
Things --most normally-- tend too go wrong when you get out of your comfort zone or normality.
If it is wrong for you and your disposition then I strongly suggest you don't do it that way.
Tying the grip safety down is not dangerous unless it frightens you---don't do it.
Stuffed is not dangerous--over a long period it is uncomfortable--if it is dangerous too you--don't do it.
All my guns at home--ALL-- are loaded, hang the rules, if it is dangerous too you don't do it.
Folks---rules are made by committee--I don't agree with committee's as a general rule.
If you want a hammer strap and feel most comfortable with it--get one.
If it has got to be such and such for you--do it that way.
Consider all and choose what set your mind at ease.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 03:24:18 AM »
Will are you forgetting about Mr. Murphy???

If there is a remote possibility that something can go wrong, it will!
Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 05:30:42 AM »
Ok guys, here's the secret to carrying IWB.  Buy your pants one size larger than you normally would.  And get a good belt!  I have found that many belts, even so called 'gun belts' are not stiff enough for comfortable carry and allow the gun to tip outward from the body (unless you are really skinny).  I now only use an 'Agent' belt from AKER.  This belt has a plastic stiffener inside and it will not twist and allow the holster to tip.  The other thing I swear by are Blade Tech plastic holsters.  They are thin, lightweight, and you can't sweat through one to rust your gun.  I keep hearing of guys who are able to just stick their gun in their waistband but I would ruin a gun in a month carrying that way!  You will also find that you will eventually have a small indentation in your hip where the holster sits.  At least I do after 25 years of daily carry that way.  When you put the package together correctly, IWB works well and conceals easily.  I have tried everything else and have found nothing that works as well as IWB.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 01:03:19 AM »
Larry
Sure I am very intimate with 'ol Murphy.
The thought was/is that if that is what is familiar and customary---if you are familiar with your habits and weapon, know what you are doing/familiar with what and how you do---that is a better choice than relying on a safety.
Now, I am not putting aside safety. I champion safety. I just don't always champion a safety as the primary means of being safe.
I agree with your thought though--if I am understood.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 02:57:54 AM »
It is somewhat judgmental that one decides for others what is safe and what is not. I used to shake my head, at the old rangers, and sheriffs, and sheriff's deputies, that carried ISW, without a holster, just based on the comfort aspect. These men were some of the most RESPONSIBLE men I have ever met, and the most SAFETY CONSIOUS also. And as I have said, as I observed these fine me, I began to evolve over the years, to realize that they knew something I did not. Over a span of 37+ years I have found that their concept on MANY THINGS, was dead center, and look in the mirror at the older gentlemen looking back, am comfortable to have found myself standing with them. I suppose it is difficult to imagine folks like them and myself, that have carried the 1911 for 3 or 4 decades, and have had to use these fine pistols to protect ourselves and others, and our attitudes. We were, and ARE, aware of the mechanics of the pistol, and safety is not an issue. It has become a part of us, like boots, and a pocket knife. To each his own, is a true statement.