Author Topic: can't blame walmart  (Read 593 times)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
can't blame walmart
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:04:27 AM »
Yesterday, returned a grinder to an Odd Lots store. Had it less than 24 hours. Odd Lots/Big Lots, if you don't have one around you, is a close out store. Lot of times, they have name brand stuff, they bid on, like over runs or liquidations. But in the last few years, I've noticed they are getting alot of import stuff. So, I tried to save some money, and bought one of those Chinese import angle grinders. In the past 15 years or so, building steel targets, I usually burn one up every 2 years or so. Get the old one rebuilt, buy a new one, and after one rebuild, throw it away. But I've bought Black/Decker or Milwaukee, and paid $100 or better. So this time, paid just over $25 with tax for the Chinese one. Didn't last 10 minute's. Sparks started to fly out of it, and it every time I put it to the metal, it would slow down, and quit. Sales clerk didn't even ask when I took it back in the store. Said ''oh yeah'' and gave me my money back. Probably got a pallet container in the back room, filled with returns. I should have known better, if you buy cheap, you usually get cheap. We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!! Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: can't blame walmart
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:46:49 AM »
Hey I buy that cheap junk all the time from Harbor Fright ;D ;D ;D just for the special one time job. I know in advance it's gonna burn up. What a concept, disposable tools.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »
Only buy Craftsman, Black&Decker, or Milwaulki.  When I buy something I tend to keep it forever.  Still got my first electric drill, Black&Decker 1/2" drill, and use it two or three times a week.  Also got my first power saw, again Black&Decker, have put three cords on it.  No, I only cut one of them, the others wore out. 

You get what you pay for.  Usually.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 02:10:25 AM »
I too, have fallen for the trap.....I bought a come-a-long......6 ton.....stretched 3 rolls of fence and pulled the center out of it.......so, it cost me 3 hours to get to town to buy one made in America.

This stuff ain't cheaper when you figure your going to buy the better one anyway after the Chinese made junk fails.  It cost double.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 05:20:44 AM »
Lost my little Schrade pocketknife awhile ago. I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and decided to replace it. I asked to see a Kershaw and a Gerber. Opened the blade on the Kershaw and it was stamped China. Folded it up and handed it back. Looked the Gerber over and couldn't find China on it anywhere so I bought it.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:33:14 AM »
When did Black & Decker start going to China to make their stuff?  I bought a box of B&D drill bits and they are all made in China. Black & Decker use to be something of quality, now it's crapola in the same boat with Homier and Harbor Freight. It was a big let down when I found out the cheap OLD TIMER pocketknives I was buying were made in China, but now I think we might go to the Chinese to have our babies.  Heck they are making everything else.....  Are any tools American anymore?

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 02:36:24 PM »
Oldandslow:  Dis you see portland Or. or U.S.A. stamped on it?  If you didnt it was made in China or it has R.O.C. on it somewhere  JIM  And ROC stands for republic of China.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 05:41:35 PM »
Ad Stanly Tools to the list of American branded tools made in China.  I picked up a 2' level and a couple of tape measures a few months back and when I got them home and opened them up there it was in black and white on the packages "Made in China".  >:( :(
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »
Here we go again. The fleecing of American jobs just in the name of GREED.! >:(