Author Topic: Best all around rifle caliber  (Read 16354 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best all around rifle caliber
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 02:02:32 AM »
crow feather , first i respect your view , but if tradition is in fact why one hunts then the kill would not only be important but the most important part of the hunt !
you must realize the hunt started as an effort to get food to sustain life , you know hunt or die !
so rightfully so the killing and eating of the kill is not only the makings of a successful hunt but the celebration of the hunt going all the way back to the first hunter feeding himself ! As much as modern man wishes to isolate himself from the killing and eating of animals it won't happen because the killing and eating of animals is the most basic ritual of life ! and the 300 win.mag. is *^@# good at doing it !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 03:37:58 AM »
  There was a time in my life when i "had" to hunt for food, i mean if i didn't kill something i didn't eat....  But, i never thought the killing part was the best part, and once i got past the "hungry" part, i enjoyed being "out there" and seeing the animials much more than pulling the trigger.

More than a time or two, i've been in the bush with a friend and left my rifle in camp, only takeing my 44 for a backup, letting "them" doing the shooting because they was dieing to kill something...even though i do hate that attitude!

I believe most hunters say they just "love the outdoors", but from what i've seen, 99% of them really just want to kill something..  At least that's what i've observed over the years...

DM

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 03:51:06 AM »
Shootall, and No,

There is no longer a need to hunt as was in the day of the caveman.  Although some people still have caveman ideology, (ugh! need meat - must kill)  we have actually progressed up the evolutionary chain to where hunting is now a sport, and not a necessity for life.

Because there are so many more people than there is game, restrictions are placed on the hunters to avoid the elimination of a species.  Fathers are hopefully teaching their children that the hunt itself is to be remembered and cherished as there cannot always be the "thrill of the kill".

No, you apparently live on a ranch where game is plentiful, you probably have no trespassing signs all over the place to insure yourself of a guaranteed kill every year, and you have no problem finding game to shoot.  But you have to remember that there are people that are not as lucky as you.  Most people have to live in areas where they have to drive hundreds of miles just to be able to hunt for a weekend or two a season.  They are not able to scout the area and they are forced to hunt public land with thousands of others, all trying for the same few deer or elk that aren't taking refuge on private land where the hunting pressure is less intense.  For these people, the ability to be in the woods, sleeping under the stars, and enjoying the hunt with their friends and children has to be the main attraction.

I have seen people with your attitudes fighting over who the deer belonged to.  People have been forced off their kill at gunpoint, vehicles have been ventilated with rifle bullets, and friendships lost.

I am glad that you are able to hunt often and your chances at success are high.  Please remember that you are NOT the norm.  For those others, it's just nice to get out to the woods and away from the city in the hopes of seeing a deer.  Their trip is the enjoyment, the kill is something extra.

IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2007, 04:14:53 AM »
drilling man , i to respect your view , and in fact enjoy the same as you some times !
but i don't confuse a walk in the woods with hunting !
i feel the advantage we have to day is choice of killing or not , the choice of the animal we take , and a commitment to keeping the herds in good condition !
the fact you or i are past the hungry part does not change what a hunt is it only changes the result/need  for us , since others in the world still face the life or death challenge !  the definition of hunting does not change only how we as individuals relate to it does !
taking a walk in the woods and calling it hunting is like sitting in the bleachers and calling it playing football !
you are there , but you are not a player !

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2007, 04:25:14 AM »
Let me think, best all around rifle caliber, mmmmmmmm. I will choose from my inventory.

6.5x55
8mm Mauser
308  win
45-70
7.5x55
7mm Remington Magnum

The 7mm Remington Magnum is the winner. High performing at all ranges. It would deliver more energy at that fleeting chance at a trophy of a life time at 250-300 yards with very flat trajectory, reducing the chance of human error. I have consistently hit steel targets at 200-300 yards with my 45-70 and iron sights but too much room for miscalculation. A close range shot is best but not always possible on a limited schedule.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2007, 04:29:58 AM »
crow feather where do you get the idea ( BS ) you come up with ?
hunting is hunting ! neither you nor i can change the definition of hunting ! we may want to but can't !
now not that it is any of your concern !
i live in Va. in one of the heaviest populated counties ! no ranch in miles , i do in fact shoot deer on my LOT , but they come in from other's land owned and posted by them !
the club i hunt deer and turkeys with ( a group that pools $$$$$ to rent land ) is about 25 miles from home !
the dove club i belong to for the same reason is 80 miles from home , we hunt sat and wed ( lots of money in fuel )
the duck hunts i go on this you will love the effort , 1850 miles towing a boat one way ! for 6 days of hunting !
these are the main hunts , some more are on public land that is anywhere from 30 to 170 miles from home !
and on good years i get invited to hunt a friends land maybe once or twice !
So to all I say , I have paid my dues and know the difference in a walk in the woods and a hunt ! i guess if you want to feel warm and fuzzy go to the zoo ! hope one is close for ya !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2007, 04:31:17 AM »
PS- i will do it with a 300 win mag. where law permits !

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
SHOOTALL,
If you want to talk about definitions, all we have to do is read Websters and not waste the electricity or time writing on this site.  I'm not talking definition, I'm talking about people not needing to kill something to get a thrill out of hunting.  If your only thrill is killing something, go find a water tower in Texas with the other thrill seekers.

The most perfect rifle is one that can be accurately shot with enough energy in the bullet to humanely kill the animal being hunted that doesn't knock the snuffins outta the shooter.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2007, 08:27:09 AM »
One of these days, all hunting/shooting forum administrators will ban topics that equate to:

Best all around caliber
Best deer caliber
best ? caliber

always ends in a ruckus.

where's the love?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2007, 08:35:28 AM »
crow feather , i don't kill every trip sometimes i go a season without shooting , i pass up quite a few deer these days , so yes i can have a great time hunting without killing . But every time i carry a gun i intend to hunt and if the animal i find is a good one or i need the meat or someone i know needs it i shoot !
if i don't intend to shoot and not carry a hunting gun i call it a walk in the woods ! sorry you need to change the English language to support your idea on thrills . Quite honestly i don't get any pleasure out of the kill , and have felt a bit of remorse with every critter i have killed ! I believe if i did not i would quit hunting ! the pleasure is in the stalk , the clean shot , the prep of the game and the feast ! if i wanted to be thrilled by the kill i would seek employment in a slaughter house ! but all that does not remove the kill as part of the hunt !
i was talking of intent ! if you don't intend to kill the animal it is a walk , maybe one you hone some skills but still a walk !
by the way i don't disagree with your thought , it is a good one ! the ones you speak of will damage our way of life !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »
don't worry crow feather and i are in a debate on terms , i support his idea not his definition !

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »
Well, as long as its all friendly,  and since we have pretty much got off target, I have a question,

I could afford to buy meat, but it is cheaper, and more convenient, and more healthy for the family unit if I whack a couple of deer during the season and process it all into ground.

I guess the degree of "need" is that it is the most efficient method of protein supply compared to the 25 minute trip to the store.

Since I need to eat, and this is the best way for me to supply that part of my diet, where does that quailfy for the statement:
we have actually progressed up the evolutionary chain to where hunting is now a sport, and not a necessity for life.

Its a fine line in the semantics, but I carry a gun to feed the family in an efficient and economical manner.  Believe it or not, there are some upper middle class people that have bambi burger as a diet staple.

back on topic:  three zero eight around here, but for your western fare, I like the 300 win mag.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2007, 10:11:10 AM »
I remember the hunts that end in a kill,either by myself or someone with me,we take pictures of our trophy's either because of their rack or an animal that was earned through a hard hunt,we arm ourselves so that when the opportunity arises we have a very good chance of making the kill.I pack my freezers with meat,mostly does and or cow/spike elk,i remember every single hunt where i took one of the game animals with no antlers whatsoever.I work year round to refine my shooting (rifle/shotgun/archery).Everything I do concerned with hunting all revolves around one moment in time,THE KILL.
If you dont feel what I feel at the moment you pull the trigger and take down game of any kind maybe you have evolved further than i have and I am truly sorry for you if you have.

-=TDC=-  ignoring the ignorant
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2007, 10:26:36 AM »
nonya thanks !
ncsurveyor , our tools and methords have changed ! hey we have cars now should we stop walking ?
you don't have to qualify to feed yourself as long as its legal its your choice ! ENJOY !

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2007, 11:36:32 AM »
Shoot,

You are right I was wrong

SOME OF US have progressed up the evolutionary ladder............................................................but don't worry, you'll get there someday!

308 is a great cartridge.  Not much recoil, but very accurate.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2007, 03:36:40 AM »
  Now help me out here.....  I learned here that i use to be a caveman, as i use to HAVE to hunt for food, (i was probably the last one) but now that i no longer have to do that, i learned that i evolved "above" that!!  (Damn, and i was just gonna club the ole' lady and drag her into the bedroom too!!)

My question is, how far did i evolve?  Is there a test i can take to find out??  ;D

DM

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2007, 06:11:46 AM »
Club the old lady, we ain't got that far yet

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2007, 01:29:02 AM »
OUCH !

Offline GCW

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2008, 11:06:43 AM »
30/06 will do everything that you need it to out as far as most people can shoot,the money you save on ammo buy not buying a mag,you can use to practices.That being said I moved up a 300wm for my western rifle for this coming fall
That dog will hunt

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2008, 11:10:22 AM »
Hell I'm stickin with my 3030. It has done everything since 1957 (same rifle), at my age maybe it'll last another 30, (if I live that long), and then someone can trade it in on a magnum. ;D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the .30-30 myself.  I've used an old Glenfield for the entire season this year.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dee

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »
Swampman, did it kill everything you shot, or did you have to run back to the house for something more modern to finish it off with? ;D

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »
Nothing has blundered into my path yet but I still have one more weekend.  Perhaps a deaf/blind deer will wander by.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Dee

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »
Better take a magnum with ya, in case that 3030 won't kill these new generation super deer. ;D

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2008, 02:06:55 PM »
If a critter takes anything larger than my .45-70 with factory ammo.  I'll try not to let it know I'm around.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2008, 02:00:13 AM »
Dee Id like to see you take down game at the range we often shoot with a 30-30,Im sure its more than enough for brush hunting where your shots arnt beyond 1oo yards,out here 300 is a chip shot and a 30-30 at 300 is just about usless on any BG in my opinion.

Offline Dee

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2008, 02:38:06 AM »
Dee Id like to see you take down game at the range we often shoot with a 30-30,Im sure its more than enough for brush hunting where your shots arnt beyond 1oo yards,out here 300 is a chip shot and a 30-30 at 300 is just about usless on any BG in my opinion.

Well ya see nonya, that is the point. While everyone is trying to convince every one else, that THEIR rifle is the best all around, EVERYONE has not taken into account that what is good in one area, is too much, or too little in another area. Opinions are all that are here. And opinions of how you hunt in Montana, here in Texas are equally as useless.
Geographic location is what determines best all around "of any thing", and opinions are included.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2008, 04:13:19 AM »
Too little happens all to often,there is no such thing as too much.With a long range caliber like a 300 wm or a 7rm you are good anywhere,no need for two rifles,one for one area and one for another is unneeded,and that was the original question,how can you do it all,all over the west.A 30-30 wont cut it all over the west on many species.Ive never met a guide that would tell a client they brought too much rifle,i know plenty of them that would tell you to leave your 30-30 in Texas. He was asking for opinions,opinions based on experience,if opinions are useless what good is this forum?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »
I'd like to see someone shoot a running deer with a 300 wm with a long range scope at 30 yards while in heavy cover . works about as good as a 30/30 at 500 . then again we shot 30/30 handguns at rams at 500 yards and hit um . !

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2008, 04:50:04 AM »
What is the best all around rifle caliber and type rifle for western big game?  Such as elk, mule deer, black bear, antelope, maybe a buffalo.  Do you need two rifles?

My 7mm Reminton Magnum has bagged deer at 20 yards, 200 yards and 250 yards. The scope works well at close range on 2.5 power. I like to get as close as possible to game, but that is not always possible. I would be sad if I seen that trophy at 250 yards and I was armed with only my 3030. The 7mm Remington Magnum is a great "all around" cartridge. The 3030 is not. You do not need two rifles. ;D

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.