Author Topic: Best all around rifle caliber  (Read 16363 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Best all around rifle caliber
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2008, 04:55:13 AM »
I hope so ! then i like um !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline NONYA

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2008, 05:22:38 AM »
I have killed running deer at 30 yards with my 7rm,thats why someone invented the VARIABLE POWER SCOPE,2x10X scopes will work anywhere at any range.If you are shooting any BG at 500 yards with a 30-30 you have no respect for the game,the only ones you should shoot are the little steel ones.If you are so sure you cant use a scoped rifle in certian areas leave the iron sights on it and equip the rifle with look through or detachable mounts,problem solved,the magnum caliber doesnt prevent you from hunting close.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2008, 06:42:59 AM »
its the size of the gun , close cover like can't move gun fast !

Offline Jaydub in Wi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »
+ 1 on the variable scope. I killed a nice 8 pt whitetail at 25 yds with a 300 win mag. He was running too. I also killed a buck at 10 yds with a 264 . The rifles worked well because I used my variable turned down to 3x and I used X bullets. Minimum meat damage. YMMV ;)

Offline NONYA

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2008, 07:21:46 AM »
its the size of the gun , close cover like can't move gun fast !

UMMMM.....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2008, 07:27:58 AM »
honeysuckle , briar's , and assorted tangles , trust me we have places that look like jungle !

Offline NONYA

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2008, 07:29:58 AM »
And my 7 mag that is maybe 4 inches longer than the average 30-30 will prevent me from making a shot?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2008, 07:47:30 AM »
well i was using a 20 ga. 870 with a rifled slug bbl 18 inches i think and got hung up in such 2 times this year .
my Ruger mini 30 had the scope set on 1.5 power and the area was so thick when i looked thru. the scope the branches etc. filled the scope and i could not get a clear view of the deer 50 yards away . more often than not what happens a deer comes in from a direction other than our main focus and to reposition our self and gun ofter is difficult due to brush etc.
after reading all the long range talk here i watched a field this season and shot a deer with my 300 win. mag at a measures 375 yards . longets shot on a deer i have made . other critters longer shots but deer it was the longest !
trust me its the area we hunt it doesn't make us special it is the hand we are dealt and yes we pass or miss quie a few !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »
Long range rifles are great for those without the necessary skills.  Hunting and shooting are not the same thing.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2008, 12:26:01 PM »
A long range rifle will not help a person with out hunting and shooting skills.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »
A short range rifle in a long range scenario is not a good idea, regardless of skill level.

Cheese

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:11 PM »
How do you hunt a unique rabbit?

Unique up on them.

Closing the gap requires that long dead skill known as stalking.

Magnums are for girls!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2008, 03:47:34 PM »

Unique up on them.

Magnums are for girls!
;D :D :D ;D :D ;D

Offline NONYA

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2008, 05:12:37 PM »

Unique up on them.

Magnums are for girls!
Come out west and share your wisdom,see how funny people think you are.I love the 30-30 crowd and their intolerance towards those that have made a magnum caliber choice,always end up hearing about true hunters and stalking game,magnums are for girls?Then 30-30s must be for s*** talkers?

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2008, 05:56:18 PM »
I am from the southeast, and you don't need magnum calibers here.  The longest shot I've heard of around here is about 200(+/-) yards on a powerline.  Shootall is right about some thickets and swamps around here.  We have honeysuckle, kudzu, muscedine vines, privot hedges, wax myrtle bushes, willows, etc.  Deer can duck their heads and easily get through a 3' tall clear trail, that we would almost have to get on hands and knees to get through.  I asked about the west, because I am planning to go out west to try to elk and mule deer hunt with maybe buffalo thrown in.  Eventually maybe even a black bear.  I will respect and take into consideration the views of those who live out there. 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2008, 01:21:50 AM »
Well this thread is about deer,elk,antelope,ect. out west,not wt in a swamp in yahoo county,no briars or vines out here to prevent you from using one of the sissy mags to make that 450 yard crosscanyon shot on a big ole bull elk,the kind of shots where a 30-30 would prevent you from getting game regardless of your superior stalking skills.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2008, 03:12:38 AM »
yes some snipe while others hunt !
you enjoy the long shot , it takes a skill level and a bit of practice and as you have pointed out a special weapon ,which aids in your shot if not making it easy . lets face it if you use a super mag. and remove the guess work it becomes mechanical .
but i find it interesting that people hunt the same critters as you in similar areas as you and use hand guns , often revolvers with rounds of less capability than a 30/30 rifle . One must assume that woodsman-ship and stalking skill is practiced by at least a few out there !
and here we have fields with long shots many a bean field rifle gets the job done back here in yahoo country !
if i hunted out in buck-a-roo land i would bring my 300win.mag. as i consider it good for all but the biggest bears , and them in a pinch !

Offline NONYA

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2008, 03:39:55 AM »
As i said,the 30-30 complex,you just have to insult people who choose to use a magnum rifle or take shots over 50 yards every time this topic comes up.Why do you HAVE to start the 30-30 BS speel every time we talk about using magnums and other high power rounds out west?Its really played out.Face it your 30-30 isnt gods gift to western hunters like you think it is in your neck of the woods.Hunters out here choose long range rifles for a reason,and it has nothing to do with inferior hunting skills,you really have no idea what you are talking about when you call us mechanical and substandard hunters.I dont know anyone here in MT who hunts any BG with a handgun,I dont know anyone who hunts with a 30-30 either,I know MANY hunters surprised I dont know any of you supposed hunters out here.Call a elk guide out here and ask his opinion of you bringing your 30-30 on a wilderness elk hunt,i guarantee you he will recommend something with more reach,of course they probably have no idea whats going on,only you do.Your 30-30 is just about worthless with our stle of hunting and its exactly the way you would hunt if you were out here and had an ounce of common sense.Now argue with yourself,Im tired of the 30-30 BS.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2008, 03:52:33 AM »
Ok you morons. Sell your 3030s. Nonya has spoken. :D
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2008, 05:04:51 AM »
If I could have only one rifle to hunt anything in North America there is no question that it would be a 30-06, simply because of the choice of bullets. My second choice would be a 270 Win. But then what do I know and who cares what I think? (Just ask the wife.)
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2008, 05:33:52 AM »
nonya , why are you upset ? it not a cut to call it mechanical , when you consider the technology involved over say a 30/30 .
super mag. to take guess work out of bullet path , scope to not have to align sights , range finder to enable scope to be set correctly , a rock solid rest either natural or some mechanical device . it takes skill but it reeks of mechanical aids .
Was the hand gun hunting commit incorrect ?
you are the first to criticize the way others hunt often on this site yet you can't accept how others view your methods !
It will be this holier than thee attitude among hunters that will end hunting not the antis !
all should keep in mind that the yahoos  kill  more deer than the buck-a-roo's !

Offline NONYA

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2008, 06:10:58 AM »
Shoot I think you are so delusional you actually believe yourself.If you really believe that a 30-30 is a good recommendation for a guy asking about a do-it all western caliber you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.If you want to work on your hunting/stalking skills leave that 200 hundred yard rifle at home and pick up a bow,its not the best caliber for deer,elk and antelope out west but I have killed all 3 with one,so dont knock my hunting skills because I recommend a 7mag,Id kill em with a spear if thats all I had to use,but I have choices,Ive done them all the hard way,spot and stalk a goat on the open prarie without the use of a decoy OR blind then you can lecture me on stalking skills.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2008, 07:25:19 AM »
you said 30/30 , i said 300 win mag !
for small stuff maybe my 2506 !
and i didn't knock your  skill  ! nice looking critter w/the bow !
noyna , i don't bow hunt much , don't as a rule snipe deer at long range . I have done both and have equipment to do both . I just don't get as much out of hunting that way as others . now i will stand shoulder to shoulder with all hunters to protect hunters rights and ways of hunting . If we all keep bickering we will lose our hunting !

Offline NONYA

« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2008, 08:15:23 AM »
A discussion over the personal preference of hunting tools is NOT going to divide hunters and bring about the end of hunting,do you even remember what we are talking about?Bickering?You are the guy telling me I (snipe) deer and dont know how to really hunt them,dont expect to slight me and not receive a rebuttal.Im just going to add you to the -=TDC=- Shoot,I cant make heads or tails out of your posts anymore.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »
sorry for the confusion ,
snipe is not a bad thing i do it some to ! its a compliment as the sniper is the most efficient shooter !
I never said you didn't know how to hunt them . my point was we all hunt different and no one way is the best for all !  the way you hunt can apply back in yahoo land and the way we hunt can also apply in buck-a-roo land . I don't care if someone jumps out of a tree and bites them on the neck !
It is ok to rib each other and i enjoy it !
the last thing is a request to all to respect each others different ways to hunt !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2008, 11:25:36 AM »
A magnum caliber is a great choice for those who can't hunt.  I love my .30-30.  I had some magnums when I was a kid.

Offline Dixie Dude

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
From the pictures I see of the wide open spaces, a 300 WM, 30-06, 308, or my .35 Whelen would be my choices of the rifles I own.  My .45-70 would not have decent range except maybe in timber or on a buffalo.  However, my longest range is the 300 WM.  Now, down here in the south, I use mostly my .308.  I have used a .44 mag in the thick stuff and a Mini-30.  Magnum calibers have their place.  I just don't know if my skills are accurate enough to hold steady for a 300-400 yard shot.  Do you use a bipod brace or something?  The longest range I have access to is 100 yards.  I guess I could measure off a 200 yards on my hunting club land on the power line that crosses it, but it is somewhat hilly.  I usually just zero a little high at 100 based on ballistics charts to try to have a 200 yard zero. 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »
Swamp you are one of the biggest trolls around,you only post when you want to stir the pot,welcome to the -=TDC=- as well.Dixie,yes i use a harris bipod on every rifle i own,anything over 300 yards requires more than a steady hand for my shots.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2008, 01:37:24 PM »
A magnum caliber is a great choice for those who can't hunt.  I love my .30-30.  I had some magnums when I was a kid.

I have never seen such a blatant case of "baiting" in my experience on this forum. It is childish, absurd and at times laughable.

Cheese

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2008, 02:44:55 AM »
I like the 30/30 it is a useful round , most would agree !
the fact of the matter is when you compare it to a say 300 win mag . to make them equal ( as in taking game )you would have to walk forward 500+ yards from where you took your shot with the 300WM to have any chance of making the same shot with enough power to kill the same size game !
and in some places the trip ain't an option .