Author Topic: WIRELESS RANT  (Read 1206 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
WIRELESS RANT
« on: May 25, 2007, 12:03:48 AM »
I am seeking information/confirmation, all the while ranting because i cannot communicate with tech support at AT&T.
We have two computers--I don't know why, because it is obvious that I can't understand one--I digress; one is operated by a wireless connection in the same room with the other computer.
We use AT&T as our IP and we use a two wire router for the wireless.
The/Our original computer--when we only had one computer--was a Gateway and it was connected about three years ago too (then)SBC, now AT&T when I bought a Dell computer and started using it in the wireless connection thru the old Gateway.
After a few issues it began a life of good service.
The old Gateway began showing signs of advanced age and doing funny things---SOOOO--- we got a new Dell this last Friday.
My son-in-law set it up for us.
We used the old SBC set-up disc-questioning this because the new Dell has Vista for an operating system--we wondered about the compatibility problems we might encounter.
It set-up nicely--so we thought--and went to bed Friday night happy.
Saturday it would not connect too the Internet. Contacted AT&T and seemed to solve the problem with a re-start.  WRONG!!!
It would not reconnect too the Internet each time it was left idle for a period of time without a re-start.
Communications with AT&T's tech support became more strained---I am not sure they ever got the idea that the new computer was the base or computer connected too the phone line.
They ran a number of try's and finally have settled on the (their fact) that we needed to be connected but an ether connection--at times I wished I had some eather--ignoring my suggestions about a new set-up disc compatable with Vista.
I contacted Dell and they too agreed that it should not require an ether connection since both computers worked well with the old two wire connection---but it would not hurt anything to try it.
Last night my wife, the Hen, talked with AT&T (finally) when she could not get connected---my patience has been run dry---and they talked her into the ether net connection plus they said they needed too send her a new set-up disc which would be compatible wit Vista.
This AM I was able to get on the net without a re-start---so maybe they were correct.
I have never lost my connection at the computer serviced by this wireless connection.
What do you folks think???
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Re: WIRELESS RANT
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 01:58:42 AM »
Do you have an DSL modem connected to a wireless router? How did you go wireless on the second computer with only the two wire connection?

If you have a wireless router usually they will also allow at least one or two wired connections, can't you connect your new computer diretly to the wireless router using the ethernet port in the new computer (most have them)? Is your new computer also wireless? If not, you could simply buy a wireless card for your new computer.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:31:39 PM »
PA
The new computer is connected to the DSL line and the router (two wire) serves the old dell wireless. The new one was ordered with wireless capabilities---that is with the capabilities of connecting the two wire router (the old one had a part--techno talk for something I don't know what it is--purchased so that it would accept the two wire router).
This is over the capabilities of my two celled brain.
Anyway--this worked and now the new one won't with the same set up.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:38:51 PM »
It may work better if you connect the DSL to the Router and then use the wireless connection for the two computers.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:51:59 PM »
Well---see how poor my communication skills are!!!!
That is the way it was set up originally---sorry if it was not made clear.
I see no reason--other than the setup disc--why the new vista system would not accept this.
Thanks for the conversation PA--it has helped ease the tension.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD