Author Topic: Swage-O-Matic  (Read 1707 times)

Offline jmauser

• Trade Count: (0)
Swage-O-Matic
« on: May 25, 2003, 04:49:29 AM »
Hi gang,:D
I am starting out in the swaging field, before I dump money I don't have into lots of equipment, I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me about the Swage-O-Matic press. Do they work? Are dies available(and where)? I can buy one for $15 with .357 dies, and thought I would give it a try. Thanks for all the help.
John

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Swage-O-Matic
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 05:53:55 AM »
The CH Swag-O-Matic is limited to dies made for .30,  .357/.38, .44, and both .45Colt and ACP. I have seen both the single dies, and press itself come up on variuous auction sites from time to time.  I do not have one, nor have ever used one so can not comment in that regard.  The advertisements for this quite obsolete system do not mention having a capability for jackets of any sort, but do mention zinc washer capability. CH stopped making or selling this system  prior to 1970. I would be very hesitant to buy any tooling that isn't supported by the maker: not unless you can afford to pay a machinist $80/hr to make replacement parts for you.
  Besides the press and dies, you will need to purchace or make your cores. With mail rates so high these days, buying cores, or lead wire, cost about as much as buying finished lead bullets. If you made them yourself you would need a core mold and lead pot, or a wire cutter. And if you wanted to make jacketed bullets, you would need jackets (and I'm not sure if you can use them in the Swag-O-matic). Pistol jackets cost about 3 to 4 dollars per hundred + tax/postage.
  So, $15 is just the start of your costs... But, if the system you have an opertunity to get is COMPLETE, part wise, and WORKS, using it will be a good learning experience. If you find you like swaging, you can always sell it and upgrade. If you find swaging isn't for you, well, you can sell it anyway.  This strategy  also somewhat smarter than getting a current $200 swaging  system (CH has those today) and then finding you made a mistake.  8)

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
swage-o-matic
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 05:54:57 AM »
Hi Jmauser: :D
   for 15.00, you cant go wrong. If it`s set up for the 357, with complete dies, I assume, go for it. You`ll be limited for what you can make, but for 15.00 who cares. It would make you some good cheap bullets.
   bullet maker
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Swage-O-Matic
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 02:37:49 AM »
Hello Jmauser, :D

In addition to the caliber limitation the die sets only make up to and including half jacketed bullets, no full jacketed bullets. The die sets has only three components to them a die body, an internal punch (for the base), and an external punch (a nose punch).

If any one is interested, I have one for sale with three die sets, .30, .357, and .44 calibers. $25.00 plus shipping. It is a cute little set up. :wink:

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
Swage-O-Matic
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 11:11:32 AM »
Donna, I cast bullets and I lurk here to learn.  could I use the dies you have with that swag-o-matic press to make undersized lead bullets to paper patch up to a larger dia.  like the .44 and patch it up to .45?  or the .30 and up to .312/14?

You know how they work, and I have a rough idea.  I guess you can make any weight bullet you wish with that combo depending on the lead pellet you feed it.  If I am correct I would like to buy this rig from you.

Please let me know.  JBMauser (not Jmauser who started the thread)  I need a new project like I need more ventilation in the hat holder.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Swage-O-Matic
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 03:12:31 AM »
Hello JBMauser, :D

The answer to your question is YES, you can, but the results may not be what you want. You can paper patch a .224 up to .458 if you wanted to but that does not mean the paper will come off correctly to give you the results you are looking for. You would have to try it out and experiment. I am not a paper patcher so I cannot say if it would work for you or not. I originally got the press and dies for photographic work only. Even though the dies can be hand tightened there are dimples in the die body and the external punch for a small spanner wrench to be use to tighten them with, but I do not have the spanner wrench for them.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline pjh421

Swage-O-Matic
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 11:42:46 AM »
jmauser,

Save your money.  The CH system sucks.  That's why they are only a curiosity now.  I bought one and gave it away in favor of casting.  You are stuck with the crude die sets that come with it.  If you are just curious about it and want to play around with it, well that's different.  If you are seriously considering swaging bullets that you will enjoy both making and shooting, hunt around for some used Corbin equipment.  Of course new equipment is better but it costs a lot more too.  The CH system is a joke.  Punch and die fit & alignment are poor.  Corbin makes a precision-fit product of the highest quality.  Oh, and the Swag-O-Matic is a cast aluminum modified C-frame (really stout).

Paul

Offline jmauser

Swage-O-Matic
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 11:58:57 AM »
:-) Thanks for all the advise, I will take it all in for consideration. You have been a great deal of help, I'm glad that there is a forum for this type of thing.
Thanks again,
jmauser