Author Topic: Deer hunting with a .223  (Read 1269 times)

Offline midwayraider

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
Deer hunting with a .223
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »
any of you guys ever deer hunt with a .223.  i know the knock down capability is not much . just wondering if any of you guys ever took any whitetails with this caliber and how far was the shot?
kelly

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Deer hunting with a .223
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 01:50:17 PM »
This topic can open a can of worms.   

Some folks have no qualms about using the .223 on deer and claim to have great success with few wounding incidences resulting in lost deer.  IMO there is too much margin for error and prefer to use a larger caliber.

The original .223 round developed by the military was meant more to wound than to kill it's intended target.  If you kill one enemy soldier you only remove him from the fight if you wound an enemy soldier you effectively remove three combatants from the fight, the wounded soldier plus two others to care for and transport him.

Be aware that some states have minimum caliber restrictions which effectively ban the use of the .223 for deer hunting so check your local regs before you decide to hunt with it.

the military used fmj's for shots at the enemy.   that has nothing to do with most deer hunting.   fmj's and deer hunting are going to involve more head and neck shots than are necessary with normal .224" diameter soft-pointed rifle bullets.   

i read years ago in a hard-cover'd Gun Digest or Handloader's Digest an article titled "Out of Bounds Rounds" which dealt with mule deer being killed by 55 gr' Hornady spire points out of .223's ..... and .22-250's or maybe .220 Swifts.    i've loaded ammo' for nuisance hunting and seen deer Readily dropped at 160 to 200 yds' with 55 and 60 gr' Spire Points by Hornady.    i have no doubt in my mind that with a decent load (velocity) and either one of those bullets out of a .223 Rem' that decent shot placement gets you venision!   and, i'm talking deer that we believed weighed 250 lbs or maybe a little more.   

i think it takes reasonable care/shot placement, and a shot of probably no more than 250 yds' if going for the neck on a 'monster' of a mulie or white tail.   at ranges out to maybe 175 yds',  a .223 Rem' hitting a deer in front of the near leg, above the brisket on a deer quartering to you,  will drop the animal like lightning!   i've seen a landowner do it several times.   it's a deadly shot with a rifle when you hit the arteries above the heart!

take care,

ss'

Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline midwayraider

• Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 03:19:19 PM »
I've done a little testing with a 55 grain Remington on some wet news paper , makes a heck of a wound channel. this bullet passes easily threw a 20 lb gas cylinder at 50 yards . i think with a well placed shot right behind the shoulder, a pass through of both lungs would be certain. I've shot several deer behind the shoulder and have never lost one, they may have ran off but i just sit tight in my stand for about 15 to 20 minutes , then go to the place where the deer was hit and find the blood .....a pass through shot of the lungs leaves a nice trail to follow.....the animal won't go far, especially if you are patient and don't push him.
kelly

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »

If I had a need to hunt with a 223...there is only a couple of bullets I would use.....Those being the Nosler Partition first...then a Barnes Triple shock second...Some of the guys around my parts load them for thier kids to use out of the Handi rifles for the State run Youth hunts...and they really do a excellent job on the deer for them..All shots for these are under 125-150 yards..and some of the deer taken have been some very large Missouri bucks as well....So...I wouldn't have a problem using it with the right bullet..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mattparliament

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 06:06:42 PM »
My first 6 heavy South Dakota whitetails were taken with well placed 55 grain 223's.  I was taught well by my dad, with the 223 shot placement is key.  Punch a good bullet through the lungs and they won't go far, and they'll be easy to find.  Don't be afraid of it for whitetails, just BE SMART!  Good luck and good hunting!

Edit:  You asked of distance.  25 yards up to 200 yards.
Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid.  ~John Wayne

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 01:09:17 AM »
I know a fella who has killed many buck with his 222, And a buddy that shot his first buck with a 218 bee, If your confident in your gun and yourself it will kill the deer.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 05:19:08 AM »
any of you guys ever deer hunt with a .223.  i know the knock down capability is not much . just wondering if any of you guys ever took any whitetails with this caliber and how far was the shot?

Everyone please answer the man's questions if you have experience  shooting deer with the 223.

thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline midwayraider

• Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 07:29:32 AM »
thanks Quick !
kelly

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 09:35:16 AM »

Everyone please answer the man's questions if you have experience  shooting deer with the 223.

Tim

OK Tim, I will. Some hold back due to the arm chair pros, but here is some experience. I have taken several Whitetails with 55 gr. softpoints, I have done alot of hunting in the past with my brothers, a few years ago we counted up 18 Deer that we killed with a 223, probably 20 or so now. All were "lunged" & none were hard to find. None were on their feet more than seconds after the shot. None were shot more than 100 yards away. We lost no Deer while using a 223. A couple of Deer big brother killed were with 60 gr. bullets & heavier, the rest were 55 gr. I do not hunt with a 223, I think little brother hunts with one only under specific conditions, basically something we did for a while. I will get to why we feel that way in a minute.

I have 2 friends that I keep in close contact with & we trade notes in regards to Deer hunting & shooting. One has taken over 50 Whitetails with
a 223 using 55gr. Corelokts. I know he lost 1 Deer, but I think he may have lost another, whether he hit too far back or hit a limb first, I don't know. He is not quite as precise as my other friend. The other guy, well his count was 114 with a 223 at the start of the 06 season, I think he took a couple more last fall & I know his Granddaughter took a 6pt. at just over 200 yards, a little further than almost all of his & he agrees with the rest of us that shots should be closer to 100 yards. He is very honest & tells me he has lost none. Because I know his character, I do not doubt that for a second. He uses the Winchester 55 power point the last time I asked him. He owns a fine custom 264, 270 & a '06 that he hunts bigger game with, but prefers the 223 for Deer & down & I don't argue with his results, but keep in mind that he owns 1,000 acres of
great hunting land on the AR/MO border & he has all season to pick his shots.

These Deer ranged in size from 125# or so up to a few 200# plus River Bottom brutes.

So with just these, I am aware of nearly 200 harvested Deer & with some other friends in the community that have taken a few, I could easily come up with another 30 or so. From this, you may think that I am a big advocate of the 223 for Deer, I AM NOT!!!!
You have a narrow set of parimeters when using this round that you MUST adhere to & these very limitations are why I use a 25 cal & bigger,
of course it would be silly to say that a 243 with the RIGHT bullet is too light, just that I prefer 25 & above.
(1) Keep your shot close, within 100 yards is best. At this distance, the bullet still has enough vel. to give a very good wound channel in lungs, but
yet the 55gr or heavier or any TSX will penetrate into the rib cage more than enough.   Well, I see Deer that I want to harvest at times well beyond this yardage & that excludes the 223 in that case.
(2.) Watch the angles close. I will not use a 223 to shoot the near shoulder of a Big Buck, too much chance of underpenetration. I want to be able to penetrate that Deer from any reasonable angle. I can do this with a 25-06 with a good bullet, the 223 is too iffy.
(3) Watch for obstructions, even small ones. I am not talking about "brush busting", I am in reference to the small limb right by the Deer that you did not see. Again, a good bullet of 25 cal & bigger gives you an extra margin of safety here, but a 22 cal can have trouble with this.
(4.) Blood trail. There are times when a blood trail is nice, for example if you shoot a Deer standing by a Southern clearcut. Again, if you double lung a Deer with a 223, it won't go far, but if it runs into a clearcut that you have to crawl into, blood helps. I shot a Deer in this situation once
with a bigger gun, yet it did not exit, I found him, but it was not fun.

So these 4 reasons is why I don't want to hunt with a 223 today. I want to maximize my opportunities when I go into the field by not being limited by range & angles. If you have the discipline to hold your fire in these cases fine, but why limit yourself?

But to say that the 223 will not take a Deer at 100 yards & under with the right bullet placed in the rib cage is the voice of inexperience, period!
A Bow Hunter would know this because if you penetrate the lungs with a sharp broadhead, the Deer will die, they have to have those lungs. Well, a 223 with the right bullit will cause a much bigger wound channel with alot more damage than a broadhead, for Deer sized game & down. For Elk, the Broadhead woud win because it will still penetrate more than enough for the big stuff, where a little bullet would come up short.
And this is prefered to a head or neck shot, because the head moves a great deal & the neck is iffy with a small round unless the spine is hit directly.

Midway raider, we have beat this to death in the past, if you need to read more, check out this thread:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,95338.0.html

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 10:27:24 AM »
Double-lung a deer at any range with a 223, an arrow, or a sharp stick and you get a dead deer and a good blood trail to follow-------and not very long one either!

If they can't breathe they can not run long, it's as simple as that.

By-the-way, I witnessed the harvesting of buffalo at the Triple U Ranch in South Dakota a few years ago. They used a 223. They drove up to within 50 yards of the animal they wanted and put a FMJ bullet behind the ear. The buffalo dropped and didn't move.

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »
Thanks Rod, that's the kinda of info that should help midwayraider make the right choice!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline midwayraider

• Contributor
  • 8-pointer on 11-04-09
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 11:35:10 AM »
thanks guys , for some good information. the reason i ask about the .223 is I'm thinking about purchasing a handi in this caliber, but i just don't want a gun to shoot paper with. i hunt with a weatherby .270 topped with a Leupold 3x9x40 this gun is very accurate and i  have taken many deer with it.  i pride myself on being a good hunter and will not take a shot unless its a good one. i shoot all the deer i harvest in the lungs if at all possible. all the stands i hunt in are no more than 100 yard shots.i think i'm  going to give the little .223 a try.
kelly

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »
if you have any doubts about the results of using a .223 Rem' in a Handi'......with proper bullets and shot placement............then step up to a .22-250 in a Handi' and try the Hornady factory-loaded 60 gr' spire point in their ammo' that they have said is valid for use on deer.    it will kill BIG deer at 250 yds' with 'reasonable' shot placement, i believe.....based upon what i've seen done with the .223 Rem'.     

a .22-250 factory load advertised by a very decent company like Hornady for use on deer tells you that proper bullets, proper shot placement, and proper distance to the game animal make for good harvests.   the .223 Rem' loses probably 70 to 100 yds' from what the .22-250 will do at any given distance.

good hunting to you.

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline ImpossibleShot

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 02:03:39 AM »
I have killed 39 deer with a 223 using a 55gr spire point, all were one shot except for one and he took 2.  It was a bad shot on my part, I hit his shoulder, it put him down but needed a follow op shot do finish him. Chest shots only.  I enjoy the light recoil of the 223.  No matter what caliber I am shooting I want take a shot that I am uncomfortable with.