Author Topic: Don't try this at home  (Read 843 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Don't try this at home
« on: May 27, 2007, 05:37:31 PM »
Today I needed an offset hammer extension.  I didn't have one because I had sold the last one with my 30 Carbine barrel.  Decided to just drill a hole in the hammer and tap it 6-32 and put a cap head screw in it with a sleeve over the threads, sounds good to me.  First, these things are case hardened, very tough on the outside, after I wore through the outside it drilled through easy to the other side, then flaked off around the hole when the drill exited.   Still looks good to me, started running in the tap, the entire tip of hammer broke off.  Round 2:  Moved the drill down the hammer a little so that there was more steel to the sides of the hole, drilled it through again, now it looks better, lots of metal on both sides of the hole.  Ran the tap in, three threads and that part broke off the hammer, now I have a very short hammer that will clear any scope, I just can't cock it without a pair of vice grips on the stub that is left.  Guess it is a bad plan to drill holes through the hammer.  Anyone got a spare hammer laying around?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Don't try this at home
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »
Boy Larry that really does stink. :o Thanks for the heads up I don't think I will try that.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 05:48:10 PM »
You shoulda read the low profile hammer mods in the FAQs, I've been there, done that. ;D Anneal the hammer spur first and they're easy to drill. I have an extra hammer I can send ya, email me your address and I'll drop one in the mail to ya.

I broke a 4-48 tap off in one of the old style hammers, bought 5 more from Brownell's in case I break any more! Fortunately it was almost done and I was backing the tap out when I dropped it, that' how it got busted.  :-[The Win M94 extension is 4-48.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 06:00:11 PM »
Anyone know if the hammer in an old huntsman frame will work. If it does, I have one you are welcome to.  This frame was canibalized long ago.  You are welcome to it if you think it will work.  Looks the same to me, but I have no clue. Never taken one apart.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 06:09:23 PM »
quickdtoo  is sending me one, he is just down the road.  The Huntsman hammers are different I think, I have one and may take a look at it.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 11:55:43 PM »
Glad I read this cause I was thinking about doing the same thing
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 12:59:36 AM »
Welcome to metallurgy and machining!!!
I won't bore you with stories of how I obtain my knowledge. :o :-\ ;D
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 02:30:50 AM »

Come on wcf 30-30 tell a few mistake in your life down the road
 of playing with guns and reworking them,    Marv.

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 09:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I'll put that on the list of things not to do. I'm still trying to work up the courage to do a trigger job on one of my handis.
Chance favors the prepared mind