Author Topic: My New "used" hornet is a keeper  (Read 453 times)

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
My New "used" hornet is a keeper
« on: May 30, 2007, 04:32:46 AM »
Well i swaped the 3x9 bushnell for a tasco varmint 6x24 that i had. worked up some loads with 13 gr lil gun and once fired neck sized brass with small pistol and small rifle primers and with new neck sized winchester brass. Its grouping very good, I will give a range report with pics when my smart girlfriend can help put pics on. I also took the hornet ground hog hunting last evening and killed 4,missed 1 and had a solid 250 yard hit but it made it to its hole.  :'(

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
Re: My New "used" hornet is a keeper
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:32:07 AM »
hey you got it cookin man out of all the handis i personally have found the 22 hornet and the 30/30  to be to two most accurate shooting  barrels? could just be me or who knows , at 250 your pushin it but hey thats the fun part, lil gun is the best powder ive found  look at some james calhoon bullets , u will find him on the web or  at a place called the shooters oasis  they make a lor of 22 hornet bullets  a 35 gr double  hollowpoint in a zinc coating that really makes the hornet shine!! ;D

Offline Inrut24/7

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:41:54 AM »
I was a bit surprised to even hit it, It was standing and i aimed about 3 inches over its head,  I got to get the manual out and look at bullet drop. my manual dosnt list lil gun for the lighter bullets and I dont have a chrono, "around" what fps are you guys handi hornets shooting with the 35 grn v-max and 13 grns lil gun? I believe they are slower than the factory 35 grn loads as they hit about 2 inches lower.

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:33:26 AM »
Go to http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp for the load data and estimated speed.  Good to see it's a keeper.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Inrut24/7

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Thanks i'll check it out