Author Topic: New (to me) NEF Tracker II 20 gauge  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
New (to me) NEF Tracker II 20 gauge
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:53:14 AM »
 I went to the range today with a Tracker II 20 gauge which I bought used off of Gunboards last week.When I received the gun I was pleased that it seemed like new and had a very smooth light trigger pull.I went back and read all 56 pages of this shotgun section looking for anything concerning Trackers.
The concensus of opinion seemes to be that the 1 in 28 twist is best suited for sabot slugs.I couldn't find any locally so ordered some from my gun shop.Today all I had to shoot was some regular Remington 5/8 oz. slugs.The shotgun did very well with these.At 100 yards I got a 3" by 4" five shot group centered on the bull.The sights are nice and easy to see and had plenty of adjustment.I did very little adjusting.First shot was left at 100 yards so I adjusted that and the next shot was a bull.The next four shots were centered around that bull shot.
At 5-1/4 pounds it is a pleasant gun to carry.I think this one is going to undergo some more shooting with sabot slugs to see if they are any more accurate.I do know that it is going deer and hog hunting this year.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New (to me) NEF Tracker II 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:54:42 AM »
Sounds like a very good field gun, easy to carry and shoot.  Keep us posted when you get the sabots.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:18:13 AM »
The barrel on this says "Tracker II   SB-1".It's a 2005 manufacture from the serial number.Am I correct in assuming that although this is not marked on the receiver as such that it is indeed an SB-1 receiver and that as such it could be fitted to a rifle barrel safely?I do not intend to do such but mainly ask out of curiosity.

Stan

Offline lotus

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 02:40:13 AM »
 SB1 is the shotgun / muzzle loader frame.  SB2 frames are the rifle frames.

Here's the official word from the H&R site.

*  Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N or H. We do not install additional barrels on any other manufacturer’s firearms.
    * Additional barrels are available as additional barrels only. We will not exchange barrels for existing barrels on shotguns and rifles, as it will change the model.
    * Rifle frames may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels.
    * Shotgun frames may be fitted with additional shotgun and muzzleloader barrels only.

* We do not sell additional barrels outright. All barrels must be factory fitted.
    * We do not sell barrel blanks or do custom calibers.
    * In order to obtain an additional barrel(s), the stock, forend and frame (receiver) must be sent to us so they may be properly hand-fitted to the barrel, to be sure they are correctly head-spaced and proof-tested.

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 09:39:25 AM »
Understood perfectly.Thank you.As I said it was more a matter of curiosity than anything else.

Stan

Offline Blammer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »
that's some good shooting at 100 yards. I'd keep a box or two of them handy for hunting or practice if they are cheap.

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 02:10:13 AM »
They come in boxes of five.I bought 6 boxes last week and shot up three of them and then a friend gave me six more boxes so I have a good supply.They are relatively cheap at Dick's Sporting Goods.I think I paid $3.99 a box of five.

Stan

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 04:34:36 PM »
Glad the cheap foster type slugs shoot good for you. If the accuracy goes away, I'd start by making sure the barrel is lead free. Sometimes a rifled barrel can lead up from shooting fosters.

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 09:11:44 AM »
Took the NEF to the range again today with five different types and brands of slugs.Sabots were awful.I don't recommend them.Very erratic.The Winchester 2-3/4' and 3" lead slugs were ok but not as consistent as I would prefer.I shot some sabots loaded by a friend.Terrible.
After all was tried I went right back to the cheap Remington 2-3/4" Foster type slugs like I shot the first time and I shot a 100 yard 3-1/2" group.I am surprised at the accuracy possible in a 20 gauge single barrel with rifling using iron sights.Also I am pleased as can be.

Stan

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 04:32:11 PM »
lots of people spend hundreds on factory stuff to find one that shoot 3.5" at 100yds!

get more of the same lot that shoots good!

Do you reload 20 ga any?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 02:21:30 AM »
So, you're shooting 3" groups with Remmington Sluggers 5/8 oz. foster slugs???  I was always told that you would lead up a rifled barrel with foster slugs and the accuracy would be crappy.  I guess you are the exception. 

I wonder what kind of accuracy you would have if you cleaned the lead from the barrel before shooting the sabot slugs.  I also wonder how your findings compare to guys shooting the Slugger 5/8 oz loads in a smoothbore barrel.

Just curious, that's all.  You found something economical that works for you and that's great!

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 07:13:50 AM »
Blammer,Yes I got plenty more of what shoots good.

Cookieman,I am positively anal about bore cleanliness.I even have an electronic bore cleaner to remove lead.The sabots are supposed to do great in this 1 in 28 twist barrel but do not.I have now gotten very curious about the relative accuracy of rifled versus smooth bore barrels.I have a single barrel 12 gauge and have gathered a bunch of different slugs to try in it and compare to the accuracy of the rifled 20 gauge.This test will occur on my upcoming regular Wednesday range trip.Comparisons of different types of slugs in the 12 gauge to find best accuracy one and then accuracy comparison between 12 smooth bore and rifled 20 gauge at 50 and at 100 yards.Should be interesting if my shoulder can hold out.Stay tuned.

Thank both you gents for the observations.Every little bit of knowledge we can share here helps us all.

Stan

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »
Stan, seems like you have a good one there. I, like others on this forum, am very interested in shooting solid lead projectiles from a shotgun-full bore slugs, not sabots. So, as was mentioned, keep us posted. Hunman55

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 11:13:20 AM »
Do you reload?

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »
I reload for rifles but not for shotguns.

Offline forest2

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »
This is an interesting thread, just got my 14 yr old son the ultra heavy slug barrel scope rail for the sb-1 frame back two weeks ago from hr. tried 100$ worth of various sabot slugs just to get it near zero. The fedral 3"5/8 oz got him 3" at 100 with a 4X simmons on the rail. Winchester 2 3/4'" 5/8 was about 6", while the hornady spread way out, heck the best I got with those high speed things was 3". next on the list is the winchester supreme 260grn. I won't waist my time shooting full lead slugs through this barrel,the rifle twist is counter to the slug twist with full lead. When you guy's talk about re-loading? has anyone found a .62 cal sabot available for any bullet size?

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
Re: smooth bore versus rifled barrel accuracy comparison
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »
I did the smooth bore 12 gauge versus 20 gauge rifled barrel test today.
20 gauge at 25 yards was three shots in a cloverleaf.At 100 yards I got a four inch three shot group.Ammunition was Remington 5/8 oz. "Slugger" Foster type slugs.Just plain old lead slugs.
12 Gauge smooth bore was 3 shots at 25 yards which were all over the 12X14 inch cardboard.The 100 yard was a joke.First two were in the dirt just short of the 16" by 33" high cardboard.I aimed higher and got three on the paper but all over the cardboard.Slugs again were plain old lead slugs.
The 12 gauge with slugs is BRUTAL!Repeat BRUTAL!I'll NEVER shoot another slug in that shotgun.It is a single barrel Marlin(made by NEF) without a butt pad and weighs about 5-1/2#.
My conclusion was that the rifled barrell 20 gauge has good sights and is very accurate out to 100 yards.It's really a pleasure to shoot.
BUT>>>in a hunting situation I'd be much better served by my Handi rifle or my Marlin lever action both of which are in 45/70.
The 20 gauge will probably never get shot much again if at all by me.When I got home and was cleaning it I noticed a "ring" in the bore and closer inspection revealed a very slight bulge in the barrel.Not much but you can feel it.
I took it over to my gunsmith and he checked it and said that probably a slug or sabot sleeve did not exit the barrel and the next round took it on out but caused a bulge.He said it was not dangerous but could affect accuracy.I had never noticed it before and it sure didn't affect accuracy so I will not worry about it.

Stan

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »
Stan, sorry to hear about that ring in the bore. If it's near the muzzle, you can always cut the barrel-that is, as long as you have 18plus inches of barrel left-and reattach the front sight. As accurate as that gun is with the cheaper slugs, it would be a shame to not shoot it. Just my thoughts. Hunman55

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »
I wish it were near the bore.It is about 10 inches up from the breech.I measured it today.Not sure at this point what disposition I'll make of the 20 gauge.

Stan

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 10:53:24 PM »
Stan, you can always send the receiver in and have a barrel fitted, but, like I said, it's a shame. Hunman55

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 12:59:32 AM »
hunman,I thought about that.I also thought about calling NEF and see if they would replace the barrel under warranty but that wouldn't be right since I am the one who was the cause of it although unknowingly.It does make sense since this receiver has such a sweet trigger on it.On the other side of the coin,since I have decided that the 45/70 Handi is better suited for hunting I will not use this one for that.Since I won't use it for hunting I hesitate to put any more money into it.I'll probably just end up selling or trading it.

Stan

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 03:31:40 AM »
Hi Stan, if you think about selling that bulged barrel I would like to buy it to use as a donor for my someday stubbed .45 ACP barrel...Of course as long as the price is reasonable. PM sent also...Thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 12:02:51 PM »
Andy,I answered your PM.

Stan

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
OK Stan, I got it...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley