Author Topic: extreme close range scope adjustment--kinda OT  (Read 661 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
extreme close range scope adjustment--kinda OT
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:22:16 PM »
Could you tell me how rimfire shooters get any movement with their scopes at such close ranges?  I bought my first 22 and broke out the old pellet gun recently.  I scoped the pellet gun and have been firing at 7.5 yards (coincidentally the lowest AO adjustment and the width of my backyard).  Doing the math, if the scope is 4 clicks is 1" at 100 yards then the turrets are adjusting less than 1/8" for every 4 clicks at 7.5 yards.  Whatever the math is......

The question is:  how does anyone get a range of adjustment at such close firing distances?  I had to dial up 30 odd clicks to get sighted in at 7.5 yards, so there probably isn't much left.

I couldn't decide where to post this. ::)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: extreme close range scope adjustment--kinda OT
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 04:11:42 PM »
I don't think scopes are really ment for a 23 foot shot.  Most shooters probably would not need a scope for that distance either.  I would say you really need to just learn how to shoot with iron sights.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
My assumption was that air rifles were shot in competition with scopes, but apparently they are not.  22's are fired at 50m.......maybe I am just looking at this wrong and there is really no need to adjust scopes if all you shoot is at one distance anyway.

You would be amazed at what you can hit with a scope at 23 feet though. ;D

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 05:39:09 PM »
Because of the distance the scope is above the bore you will have some extreme vertical error when you shoot either closer or further away than 23 feet.  You will be much better served by good old iron sights, they are a fraction of the distance above the bore that the scope is.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »
Could you tell me how rimfire shooters get any movement with their scopes at such close ranges?  I bought my first 22 and broke out the old pellet gun recently.  I scoped the pellet gun and have been firing at 7.5 yards (coincidentally the lowest AO adjustment and the width of my backyard).  Doing the math, if the scope is 4 clicks is 1" at 100 yards then the turrets are adjusting less than 1/8" for every 4 clicks at 7.5 yards.  Whatever the math is......

The question is:  how does anyone get a range of adjustment at such close firing distances?  I had to dial up 30 odd clicks to get sighted in at 7.5 yards, so there probably isn't much left.

I couldn't decide where to post this. ::)

You have to buy a scope that gives you a-lot of elevation..Here's a nice calculator to help you do the conversions for distance on your scope...http://www.airguns.net/calculators.php..it's pretty self explanatory..When I was shooting my springer..I put a very good scope on it and enjoyed shooting it a-lot...until my nosy neighbor called the cops on me anyway >:(  It was a illuminated 4x16 tactical by Mueller...Great scope by the way...

Depending on what type of competition ..scopes are most certainly used...You would be surprised how many different field trials there are for them..and yes..at ranges even down to 9 yards...http://www.sacs.org.uk/Sacs/Key_Articles_Sub.htm...When shooting that close off hand..it takes more skill than many folks realize.. ;)

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
Whew, maybe I'm not crazy after all.  It has been pretty fun in the backyard for the last two days.

Sweet link with the calculator, thanks.  That is a lot easier than my calculator and graph at the kitchen table.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:37:16 PM »

Your Welcome ;)

You want to try something fun? Go buy a bag of those little plastic army men at a drug store..and line them up  on a 2x4 at ranges up to 30 yards...and have at them..It will make you learn trigger and breathing control real quick ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 08:03:47 AM »
If the rifle is 1 MOA then that is only 1/4" groups at 25 yards.  I will try those army men.  My son would like that too.  We were shooting 12 hulls and 9mm brass punched into a cardboard box.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:15:18 PM »
You usually need a mount that points the scope downward to use a scope at close-in airgun ranges. MAC-1 Airguns in California makes custom mounts with various droop angles built in. You can get them in 10 minute of angle increments from 20 to 50 minutes. I've got a Crosman 167 replica that works fine at 10-40 yards with a 50mm scope and cheap Weaver high .22 rings, but that's an exception. My RWS48 likes to shoot high, it was always a minor problem with the factory sights, and with a Williams FP peep it was on target at about 80 yards with the sight all the way down. That's another gun I was happy to put a scope on.
http://www.mac1airgun.com/retailprices.htm

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 07:21:18 AM »
There are rings that have inserts in them to adjust for windage or elevation. I can not think of the brand name. It may be Burris, maybe Millet like I said not sure. Someone will come up with it. They are off center and you rotate them to where you want then clamp them down. They have different amount of off set. I think you can buy them with different amounts of off set. A lot of guys use them because they can not get enough side to side movement with their scope, but they can be used for elevation too. Put them with the back ring up and the front ring down. Another trick for long distance shooters is to taper(machine) the scope mount so it low in the front to give the barrel more elevation for those long shots. The same could be done for close shots, where you want extreme elevation. I would think you could shim the bottom of the rear ring to get you more elevation or lap out the bottom of the front mount and the parting line to give you more elevation or both. Shooting at extreme close range has the same problem as shooting at a far distance. You want the bullet flight to cross the line of sight quickly (close to the barrel).:o
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 09:03:36 AM »
I scoped my pellet rifle and sighted it in for 25 yards.  Any closer I aim high, and with practice I know how high to aim at all distances.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Dusty Wheeler

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 10:07:07 AM »
Shim the bottom of the rear ring AND the top of the front ring or you may treek the scope...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
Shimming rings is a sure fire way to ruin a scope!! ::) The smart option is to use Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts.

Tim

http://burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 01:08:40 PM »
Dang.  I didn't think about the signature rings.  I have a whole passel of the inserts in my scope kit.  For what it is worth, the Beeman branded, Bushell 4xAO scope that I got is working mighty fine.  The squirrels are tempting me. 

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 06:22:11 AM »
On the subject of air rifles, does everybody know how to safely cock&load a spring powered airgun?
I would have thought so, but somebody on GBO's airgun forum lets go of his barrel while loading, and he nearly lost a finger. Luckily he got a decent surgeon to fix it.
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,119810.0.html