Author Topic: Dies  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Newguy

• Trade Count: (0)
Dies
« on: May 26, 2003, 03:31:08 AM »
I just bought a Corbin CSP-1 press.  I got it for reloading and forming wildcat cartridges.  I want to start swaging bullets.  I am interested in making “partition” type bullets in 6.5 mm and .358.  Would bonded core bullets be better?

Where would be the best place to get the die?  I have looked at RCE and Corbin, is there anyone else out there who makes swaging dies?

Offline bfoster

• http://www.cardingtonmachine.com
Dies
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 04:31:07 AM »
I've made my own swaging dies for years. There is no magic, you just have to know what you want to end up with, and how to get there. When you've thoroughly thought your project through you can either make what you want youself, or take your drawings to a tool and die shop.

Bob

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Dies
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 05:50:52 AM »
Mr Corbin claims that bonded core bullets, made with his core-bonding chemical, is at least equal, if not superior, to partition type bullets. I think he considers using heavier jackets along with chemical bonding to get the 'comparison'. I make such bullets in various calibers and have never been disappointed. But, you are limited to only making open tip bullets, or using a '2 core' system to build a lead tip bullet if you want one.  My hat is off to bfoster for making his own tooling. But since the nearest T&D shop is 90 miles from where I live, and I'm not all that experienced with, nor own the tools and ovens needed to make long lasting quality dies, I purchace them from RCE or Corbin Co, or, occasionally at gun shows, thru adds in Gunlist, or on the Auction sites of eBay, Gunbroker, or auction arms, and sometimes from leads on this site.
 Remember, with the CSP-I press you have to get dies and punches that fit it, and are therefore somewhat limited to where you can get, or make, die and punch sets. 8)

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Dies
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 02:51:58 AM »
Hello Newguy, :D

Talon covered where to get the dies from. So, I will talk about what the best bullet to make is.

As it is for business location, location, location, so it is for bullet swaging purpose, purpose, purpose. The best bullet to make is determined by what you want to do with it. A class winning target or benchrest bullet is designed and constructed differently than a hunting bullet and not all hunting bullets are designed and constructed the same. You mentioned partitioned or bonded core bullets so I can assume it is for hunting. For hunting bullets the two main factors are: First, what are you hunting? Is it thin skinned or thick hide is it small or large boned and is it going to be hunting you if it is hurt? And second, at what range are you expecting to shoot your game it at?

Your question is not a simple one to answer and there is more than one correct answer to a question. Volumes could be written in bullet design and construction, and new chapters are being written every day. I just recently finished designing a custom bullet for the U.S. Army that has only one purpose. But fortunately for sport hunting bullet designs can cross over and blend into one another.

Both a partitioned and bonded core bullets are similarly good for a wide range of hunting applications. Where the applications of the two are well mixed it is only the preference of the shooter that determines the best bullet. For the bulletsmith, making a partitioned bullet can sometimes be made with nothing more then the original die set or maybe a few added dies and punches, to make a chemical bonded core bullet requires the purchase of a furnace to melt the lead in the jacket cups. Special Note here guys: No! You do not want to use your girlfriends or wives kitchen ovens unless you want to know first hand what a conniption fit looks like, believe me fellows. :wink:  The standard kitchen oven only gets around 500 to 550 degrees and that’s not hot enough to melt lead besides you don’t want to melt lead with something that you use to cook your food. Lead is toxic to living organisms and that includes humans. The nice thing about swaging is that you can make a bonded lead partitioned bullet too if the steps are done correctly. Usually the partition cup is made first than the upper lead core is bonded to the cup and seated than the lower core is seated and then the jacketed cores are formed in the point forming die, of course other steps maybe needed in addition to these. But even this hybrid will not function the best for the full range of hunting conditions that both the partitioned and the bonded core bullets can perform. But where the two overlap the hybrid will perform the best.

Donna :-D
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Dies
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 12:46:33 PM »
:shock: Now Donna.
I had a lot of respect for you.But now you dun it.You sound like my wife with this cooking lead on the stove and oven.is this a Women thing that you cant doo this?? :eek:
Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Dies
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 06:52:21 PM »
Well hello Lead Pot, :D

According to the laws of physics you can melt lead on the stove it certainly gets hot enough for that. But few ovens reach 600 degrees F and as you know pure lead has a melting point of 621.32 degrees F. But if you’re one of the very few that has an oven that can reach 650 degrees F, than you most certainly can melt lead in the oven. But if you have a wife or girlfriend and want to live longer that 2 seconds after she finds out….  :) Do you really want to see a conniption fit? It’s not pretty. Does the phrase, “Fido has a new ‘permanent’ roommate”, mean anything? This is a Women thing! I am lion; hear me roar. :wink:

Donna :grin:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Dies
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 04:28:27 PM »
Ah Donna spoken like a true woman :)
Well my wife has put up with me for 38 years now.Between cooking lube on the kitchen stove and drying black powder cases in the oven, I'm glad my dog Mike lives in the house with me :)
I been a Plumber for 35 or 6 yrs and casting bullets and sinkers going on 48 yrs,I know lead. :idea: You know come to think of it that is probly why I cant spell or remember things :wink:
Donna keep up the good work here I enjoy reading your post's and your knoledge with math,and also your web site.
Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Leftoverdj

Dies
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 05:04:58 PM »
Reminds me of why my domestic arrangments are as they are. Three, four days a week I stay home and live like a man. Other days I spend with my girlfriend and live like a woman wants a man to live. Both of us are always glad to see each other and neither of us is sad when it's time for me to go back home.

A hobby type kiln is cheap and will reach way more than 650 degrees. If I wanted to heat treat on the real cheap, I'd plug the ends of a scrap lengith of 8" schedule 80 pipe with firebrick, fit it with a temperature sensor and weld a couple of lengths of rebar to the bottom so it would stay on a cajun cooker without rolling.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.