Author Topic: Handi-rifle/shotgun publication  (Read 1434 times)

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
Handi-rifle/shotgun publication
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:28:39 PM »
I wonder if a Handi-rifle/shotgun publication would be feasible. A quarterly magazine devoted to the Handi's could have new products, how-to's, and articles written by knowledgeable Handi-people. It could be published by Marlin and also keep us updated on new production. The main drawback(to me) would be: it could possibly take away from the Handi forum and I wouldn't want that to happen. Any thoughts on this? Hunman55

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Handi-rifle/shotgun publication
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 12:59:43 AM »

That wouldn't be a bad idea..and would be a good way to get some Handi-holics pictures published.. ;) I don't think it would hurt the forum one bit...What would would help GBO is if Marlin would become a sponsor..but I rather doubt that would happen...since they don't like all of our tinkering and conversions and all... This was a real sore spot with them on the old H&R talk...and still is...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline wcf3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:39:10 AM »

That wouldn't be a bad idea..and would be a good way to get some Handi-holics pictures published.. ;) I don't think it would hurt the forum one bit...What would would help GBO is if Marlin would become a sponsor..but I rather doubt that would happen...since they don't like all of our tinkering and conversions and all... This was a real sore spot with them on the old H&R talk...and still is...

Mac

Mac
   I've not been around that long what was the general dislike from Marlin in regards to the "Tinkering".
"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 06:35:23 AM »
I think that would be a great idea. I for one would get a subscription.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »
You got to remember they are gun shy (actually Lawyer shy), over the reason H&R went under.  Scenerio:  I go out and modify my .35Whelen Handi to shoot .358 Shooting Times Alaskian.  I blow my head off, and the reciever/chamber portion is totally distroyed. There goes the evidence of tampering.   My widow and son sue Marlin because it was one of their evil guns that killed her husband and left her a widow, and my son a fatherless orphen.  Some anti gun members of the jury condem the gun makers in the jury room, and the rest of the jury vote their heart strings.  Multi Million doller award against Marlin. 

Now can you blame them?     Why tamper with a good thing?    Accept a Handi for what it is.  A Handi Rifle!

A gun that with no modifications, straight out of the box, can kill a wolf out to 600 yards consistantly.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 04:48:31 PM »
You got to remember they are gun shy (actually Lawyer shy), over the reason H&R went under.  Scenerio:  I go out and modify my .35Whelen Handi to shoot .358 Shooting Times Alaskian.  I blow my head off, and the reciever/chamber portion is totally distroyed. There goes the evidence of tampering.   My widow and son sue Marlin because it was one of their evil guns that killed her husband and left her a widow, and my son a fatherless orphen.  Some anti gun members of the jury condem the gun makers in the jury room, and the rest of the jury vote their heart strings.  Multi Million doller award against Marlin. 

Now can you blame them?     Why tamper with a good thing?    Accept a Handi for what it is.  A Handi Rifle!

A gun that with no modifications, straight out of the box, can kill a wolf out to 600 yards consistantly.

Well...some have already tried those type of lawsuits and it didn't work...Their lawyers aren't stupid...and just because the gun is in pieces doesn't make it impossible to prove negligence...by either side..

Many like myself..are not strangers to proper hand loading techniques..and many like myself know the rifles limitations..and for the most part..we stay with in those limitations...They would just as well have us all shoot factory ammo..and make no modifications to these rifles..That's really never going to happen...so they really need to accept that fact...and get over it..Other gun companies understand it and deal with it..NEF/Marlin should be no different...If you produce a rifle capable of withstanding  the 65,000 psi pressures of the 270 Winchester..there is no reason you can't have it work with the same case size shooting a larger/smaller bullet diameter..If they don't want to accommodate our wants..they shouldn't object to me having it done by a qualified licensed rifle builder..We've discussed this at length many a time...and for many of us..the smartest thing Marlin/NEF could do would be to start a custom shop...This way they could have some measure of control on some of these modifications...

Having a printed publication could and most likely would showcase this of work done to our Handi's..This would show many folks who never come here or other web sites what is possible with these rifles...and most likely bring a bunch of new members here to GBO...looking for answers or wanting to talk...and...we are a bunch of talkers here..... :D :D :D :D F.W.I.W...Although it would be nice if it did have Marlins support...(it would give it some credibility)..not having it wouldn't be totally a bad thing either I think...It wouldn't have to look like a total Marlin advertisement  production brochure ..and might attract other interest...

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 05:34:04 PM »
Good point. If such a mag were published independently I see more success with the publication. That way the articles would not be hindered to the Blah over watched articles from some mags that have to answer to "head" to see if it's "fit".
Not saying "Revolution" or anything, but who isn't tired of slap on the hand answers.. :-\ :-X
Sign me up.

-Aaron

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 07:49:36 AM »
Aaron, I THINK that I understood what you were saying there. ;D

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 05:33:02 AM »
Since somebody brought up idiots and lawsuits, check out what happened to Freedom Arms after some fool loaded all the chambers in his revolver, and his overcoat hooked the hammer on his 454.

http://keepandbeararms.com/news/nl/read_comments.asp?nl=44883372996774&tmpD=6%2F4%2F2007

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 07:29:59 PM »

If they don't appeal it..they are crazy...

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 04:25:33 AM »
Not sure if a "Handi" only publication would give enough material, for a long term publication, but one that covered "single shot" only rifles certainly would.  Heck, I'm due to retire in 18 Mo. and think I could actually like spending some time on something like that.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »
It seems that a Handi-rifle/shotgun publication just doesn't have the support at this time. If it ever happens, count me in. Thanks for your replies. Hunman55

Offline zermatt7

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
I nominate Mac and Tim as Co-Editors   ;)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »
Even this board, that is not run by NEF or Marlin, bans people for suggesting, or thinking about, using SB1 frames on low pressure rifle or pistol rounds, so just think what a print publication would be restricted to publishing.  It's just not going to happen in your lifetime.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »
Even this board, that is not run by NEF or Marlin, bans people for suggesting, or thinking about, using SB1 frames on low pressure rifle or pistol rounds, so just think what a print publication would be restricted to publishing.  It's just not going to happen in your lifetime.  Larry

Larry...

As far as I know...No One...has ever been banned for thinking about doing that...

Mac

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 03:43:01 AM »
Guess as long as I don't think in print I am OK.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 05:39:41 AM »

Larry:

Some things even here we have to be careful of..In this litigation crazy world..recommending utilizing the various frames against the manufactures current warnings leaves folks open for lawsuits wither you can understand that or not.....The folks who did get banned from here...wanted to continue posting what they wanted and arguing with the management even after they were told to cease & desist. Management has the right to take what actions they feel is necessary for the betterment of the site..It is a private held concern...not public....so...we actually have no say in who comes...or goes...Only GBO management does...and the moderators aren't included in this issue....Some folks may not like it and feel they can post whatever they want...but that isn't the case here and has never been that way as long as I have been a member...and FWIW...I don't think that is going to change...You can ask Greybeard if you like...but I don't think you'll like the response you get from him either....

Thanks Zermatt7....but I will respectfully decline...I have way too many irons in the fire right now  ;)

Mac

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »
That would be so cool! I definatly want in if and when the mag ever comes out! that would be so cool! I doubt we would run out of things to talk about! are you kidding!? we have a huge forum and we havnt ran out of things to talk about. ne ways, just my $.02.
Henry.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo