Author Topic: what i have learned  (Read 644 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
what i have learned
« on: June 01, 2007, 06:32:03 AM »
well here is something i have learned about airgun hunting and pellets.  this what i myself have learned with me airguns. For pest like starlings, rats and other pest that size at 40 yards or less any airgun and pellets will do. But for squirrels, rabbits, coons and other big pest like woodchucks at 30 yards or less you want a 22cal with 600fps or more. you can used a 1000fps .177 but you have more of a change of wounding your game and it gets away then with a .22. a 22 with stop it at least so you can finish it off. Any good pump-up airgun is good for the smaller pest and will kill them at 50 yards or less and a .22cal pumper(beniam 392, crosman 2200, and daisy 22x) will kill the bigger one and kill the small one at 45 yards or less. I like pumpers because they cost less than  spring piston, you can leave them cock all day long, and you can use any scope on them.  the pellets i used can be found at walmart and work very well. First the manufacturers. i have used the beeman, crosman, daisy and gamos pellet.  Not all pellet are the same some are very hard and some are soft. Beeman and Daisy are very soft pellets and are good for pest and squirrels and rabbits in .22cal.  gamos are med. hardness and are very good for coons and other hard thing and for shooting cans. crosman are the hard-es and are only good for coons and woodchucks because they good right thought most game. now the 4 kinds of pellets. Hollow points are short range pellets(30 yards or less) and they do there job on most game. there mostly good for the terrific shock they in-part in higher power guns and there lack of over penetration in the smaller cals. wadcuts are just like hollow points but they are lighter and work well in all guns. pointed are long range pellets and are very good for shots pass 50 yards or for deep penetration on bigger game like woodchucks and nutria. Rounds noise have the same range as pointed but have a little less penetrations so they can be used on softer game like rabbits. i have used both 177 and .22 and all kinds of pellets in both on all kinds of game found in my home state of FL. I like using my .22 with crosman wad cuts because there hard pellets and in .22 i can shoot game in the body or head and still get clean kills.

Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
Re: what i have learned
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 07:42:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  I am just getting back into the Airguns and your information is very helpful.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:52:20 AM »
JamalDog87, Please turn on your IM.  I just send you an IM with a question.  Thanks, Mike

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »
On the contrary to your report. I have taken squirrels out of circulation at my bird feeder with a Crossman .177 pumper pistol. ;)

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 07:50:21 AM »
how far was the shot??
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 01:22:12 PM »
20 feet. :)

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 06:37:51 AM »
that 6 yards any airgun with 435fps can kill a squirrel at 10 yards or less. I saying if you want to kill things out to 40 yards or more what kind of airgun works.