Author Topic: Question For Tim , or anybody that knows.  (Read 517 times)

Offline the_spotdoctor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Question For Tim , or anybody that knows.
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:46:19 PM »
The reason I always include Tim in my questions is ,if he does not know the exact answer he is mighty close on anything to do with Handis. Now for the question.
I just bought a survivor stock and put in on a 22 inch 308. When I put the forearm on the hand screw seems to long. The forearm is loose toward the crown end.
Am i missing something or is the way it is supposed to be. By the way Tim , if you remember I had to file some on this 308 and shim for the misfire problem , I did as you said and have not had a misfire since. It is a little uneven , but it is just fine.
Thanks in Advance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Question For Tim , or anybody that knows.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 02:09:35 PM »
You have a couple choice, shorten the screw a little, run a ¼-20 nut on it, cut or file the screw down, then run the nut off to clean up the threads. The other choice, just use an O-ring or two to take up the slack, it will semi-float the forend in the process.  ;D You may also be able to put a spacer on the screw before you install it, I don't have a survivor stock any more to look at it, seems it had a shoulder on it, but I don't remember now!! :-\

Glad ya got a handle on the misfires. ;)

Thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »
Dont those forearms have spacers in them that U can move around. Maybe your missing one
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:15:35 PM »
Mine didn't, while I don't have one in front of me, here's a pic of mine compared to the Choate Varmint forend on the bottom. If it had spacers originally, I didn't get em on the rifle when I bought it used.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:51:52 PM »
I dont have mine anymore but it had spacers or dividers. I cant remember if they rubbed on barrel or not. They were rectangular with a barrel channel in them. They were removeble.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline 270Handiman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 03:54:55 AM »
For a spacer on the synthetic stocks, go to the hardware store and look in the pull out drawers of the hardware isle.  They make a large(about an inch diameter) round white plastic washer.  They are fairly thin, so I buy several so I can shim as needed.  I trim them on 2 sides with a razor knife or snips so that they fit in the slot of the forearm and are held in place and can't turn.  Once you determine how many you need (usually 1 or 2) a dab of super glue will hold them in place until you decide to remove them.

I use this method on the synthetics because the forearms don't have the neat little recess around the forearm screw hole that the wood stocks have.

Just my 2 cents!