Author Topic: rossi garbage should've listened to graybeard  (Read 5544 times)

Offline gunpilot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
rossi garbage should've listened to graybeard
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »
I bought a Rossi 357 mag 6 inch stainless and after 100 rounds ( mostly 38 specials 90 % )the cylinder would not lock up- it just spun in double action. OK in single action. Also the trigger would not return to the forward position after firing on a few shots. The gun shop is returning it to the company for me, but it will cost about 20 dollars for shipping. We will see how well they stand behind their products in a few weeks.   I learned my lesson with Llama semi auto pistols. a few years back. I really liked the grips, feel, and balance , but the gun would jam 90% of the time. The gun shop owner warned me not to buy a Llama , but I did anyway. I am leary of firing the Rossi even when I get it back, because what if it malfunctions again after firing a few rounds?

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: rossi garbage should've listened to graybeard
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 04:51:56 AM »
You state that your gun was wrecked after only 100 rounds and that 90 of them were .38 specials.   I got to wounder what were the other 10 rounds?    I have never heard of any firearm failing the way you described after shooting only 100 rounds of factory ammo.   Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it seems like a very rare case. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 07:08:02 AM »
The ammo likely didn't do it. Way back I decided I wanted a new .38 Special revolver. The store had two in stock a S&W and a Rossi. Most of my guns were S&W in those days and I knew exactly what to expect from it but the Rossi actually "looked" to be better made and fitted than the S&W so I decided to give it a try. BAD DECISION!

From day one that gun did just as he mentioned. I never the whole time I owned it got it to fire all the rounds in the cylinder without locking up in double action mode. You could usually get the full cylinder fired single action but never double action. And it was highly inaccurate to boot. Needless to say I gave up on it and took it back and got the S&W.

I love the Rossi Model 92 clones and they are nice rifles but their handguns are JUNK.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Brett

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 07:18:37 AM »
Hmm... maybe not such a rare case after all.  Guess I won't be buying any Rossi revolvers anytime soon.   By the way, I believe Rossi is now owned by Taurus.  Taurus has a pretty good reputation from what I've heard and I have had good luck with a Taurus revolver. 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »
Don't know where you heard Taurus has a pretty good reputation, it sure wasn't from me. Once upon a time you might have heard it from me as I was a big fan of their guns but then their quality went to pot and their customer service dropped even lower than the quality. I parted company with them and sold off all my Taurus guns. Now I've not bought one in at least 2-3 years and maybe "just maybe" they've improved again. I'd like to think so as they make some really innovative guns and I'd love to own some again IF they would get their act together and again produce quality products.

I've not seen a bad RB but the Trackers and the M44s I got were some pretty sorry pieces of trash.

The Rossi I had was pre Taurus days.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gunpilot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
I'm wondering if the gun will be ok after I get it back, or will it just happen again. Any comments? Maybe I will trade it in on a GP 100

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 10:35:10 AM »
i have a thunderbolt from Taurus and the hammer release doesn't work well but it shoots good and otherwise works well , fit is not up to the other copies of this gun   but the cost wasn't either !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline millwright

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
Should have read this thread earlier!  A month ago I bought a Rossi model 720 44 special.  I have only fired 10 rounds of cast bullets and right now the gun works and shoots excellent.  It is used so I have no idea how many rounds have actually been shot.  At least I didn't pay new gun price.  I have not shot it double action yet, but I will after reading the post.  I will post here if I have trouble with it.   :o
The worst time to find your tongue is when you lose your head.

Offline elkstalkr

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 05:39:53 AM »
Agree with Graybeard on this one.  Rossi rifles are pretty good, Rossi pistols......eeehhhhh not so much!

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 02:13:38 PM »
My Rossi 351 snub nose only lasted 15 rounds.  I bought it new.  After 15 rounds of Winchester USA .38 special white box ammo it quit.  I sent it back early April.  They still have it.  I call every week.  They say it should be ready later this week.  Think I should keep it?  I think I better trade it fast.  "Fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on me."  Nothing else from overseas for me  except Browning.

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »
Called today.  Now they say another week and a half.  Ho-hum.  If they ever send it back I'll trade it so fast.  Learned my lesson.

Offline Brett

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 06:43:45 AM »
Can't say as I blame you.  They should send you a brand new gun ASAP.

The following is a little off topic but relevant.

I bought a golf club, a driver, from http://www.golfoutletsusa.com/ just before Christmas and although I've had it for several months I've only had the opportunity to play a couple of rounds with it.  Well the last time I was out I made a terrible swing while attempting to Tee off on one of the holes and "grounded" the club hard (beginner golfer  :-[).   When I got home and cleaned my clubs I noticed a crack running along the bottom of the head just behind the face.  So I sent Golf USA an e-mail, with pictures, describing the damage, confessing that I had hit the ground hard, and inquired about the cost of sending the club back for repairs. I got an e-mail response from their CS dept. the next morning saying that a new club would be shipped ASAP no charge!   Now that's how you conduct a business!  You can bet I will buy from them again and tell others about their web site and service.     

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
I was reporting my progress in the Rossi section of http://www.taurusarmed.net/.  That thread disappeared there.  I guess that's a company oriented website.  Today I called Braztech and asked to talk to someone in management.  I was told my gun would be returned to me tomorrow.  They had replaced the firing pin and fixed the point of impact.  The revolver was firing to the left before it broke.   So I'll be able to trade it sooner than I thought. 

The golf club story was a good example of how a company should treat customers.  I've owned alot of guns.  Never had to return one for warranty work until this year.  So far this year I've had to return two.  One to Rossi.  One to Savage.  The Savage I returned after the Rossi and have already received a new gun.  Savage paid shipping both ways.  I believe Savage is an excellent company.  You can see why.  Think I'll look for a Savage accutrigger rifle to trade the Rossi in on. 

Offline Brett

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »
That new club just arrived this afternoon via UPS.  Not only did they send a new club but also sent a new head cover along with it. If you are into golf I highly recommend this company.  http://www.golfoutletsusa.com/

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 05:38:40 PM »
Again off topic, but related to customer service. In 05 I bought a Chrysler 300 Limited new, and paid for it (no financeing). I had trouble with it off and on for the next year and a half running the battery down. Three months ago, I called them and told them I did not want the car.
They gave me full MSRP for my car, and let me pick out what I wanted on their lot. I picked out a new 07 Chrysler 300 Limited without the navigation system the other car had, and they wrote me a check for the difference.
Now that is customer service.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 06:56:25 AM »
Well I got my Rossi back.  Now it hangs up every few times in double action mode.  What a piece of garbage.  I can't trade it like this.  Is it time to see a lawyer?  Don't buy Rossi!!!!!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 07:15:01 AM »
Some day MAYBE folks will listen when I tell them about these things.  :o Or maybe not.  ::)  ???

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline p15camborne

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 11:48:40 AM »
I took the gun back to Academy Sports.  Showed them the mess Rossi made.  They gave me my money back!!!!  Gotta love Academy Sports!! 

Sorry for not listening.  I replaced it with an S&W air weight.

Offline Brett

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 04:36:31 PM »
That Rossi might make a good paper weight.  :o

Offline gunpilot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 05:41:57 PM »
I'm glad you got your money back. Excellent service from your gun shop. My gun shop ( Cimino's in Merrill WI will not take it back or even buy it back.
They will give me 84 dollars off the retail on a trade in however. Thanks for the feed back. If and when I get this garbage back I will not fire it. I will immediately trade it in or sell it to another dealer. I hope you don't buy it. thanks again .

Offline gunpilot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 06:11:35 PM »
P.S. Rossi is made by Taurus. There is nothing on the market that matches the fit, weight, feel , grips or style that matches these revolvers. Do not be  tempted to buy a piece of junk that feels good in your hand, although that is a major factor in a handgun. If it does not function you will be  grossly disappointed in what you have purchased.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 10:01:01 AM »
I guess I got lucky then. I bought a Rossi model 971 a while back because I wanted a cheap .357 just to carry along with me while deer hunting. I have never had a hang up with it even though I don't shoot it double action ever. I can easily pick off soda cans at 60 yards with a bench rest shooting .38 +P's. So no accuracy issues there. I must have been lucky. I would like to get a Ruger GP100 though!

Navylawdog

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 02:23:43 PM »
Good on Academy Sports!

If it was my shop, I would go to Rossi and say: Either you refund me for this piece of garbage, or we no longer carry your products.

Offline gunpilot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 10:35:13 AM »
well, my gun dealer agreed to trade the rossi on a gp 100 even though the rossi has not come back yet. I am happy they were willing to do that.  It looks like me and rossi(taurus) "will be parting company". I will be looking forward to my new gp 100 6 inch blued model.  have owned several ruger revolvers and have been satisfied with them.

Offline millwright

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 01:23:49 PM »
At this point in time I love my Rossi 44 special with a 3 inch barrel.  I am currently shooting 240 gr rnfp with flat base and 2400 powder.  Maybe it will not last long, if it does'nt I will post but for right now it is shooting some fine. ;D ;D ;D
The worst time to find your tongue is when you lose your head.

Offline blair

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 06:17:44 AM »
how are the pre Taurus Rossi's imported by Interarms?  some of them look real nice

Offline urbaneruralite

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
Should have read this thread earlier!  A month ago I bought a Rossi model 720 44 special.  I have only fired 10 rounds of cast bullets and right now the gun works and shoots excellent.  It is used so I have no idea how many rounds have actually been shot.  At least I didn't pay new gun price.  I have not shot it double action yet, but I will after reading the post.  I will post here if I have trouble with it.   :o

If you decide you don't like it, please let me know. I'd love to have another.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 09:15:05 AM »
Don't know where you heard Taurus has a pretty good reputation, it sure wasn't from me. Once upon a time you might have heard it from me as I was a big fan of their guns but then their quality went to pot and their customer service dropped even lower than the quality. I parted company with them and sold off all my Taurus guns. Now I've not bought one in at least 2-3 years and maybe "just maybe" they've improved again. I'd like to think so as they make some really innovative guns and I'd love to own some again IF they would get their act together and again produce quality products.

I've not seen a bad RB but the Trackers and the M44s I got were some pretty sorry pieces of trash.

The Rossi I had was pre Taurus days.

Interesting thread as I really had no idea there was so many problems with the Rossi handguns, or that they are made by Taurus now.   Only Rossi I ever bought was a 62SA in about 1984-85 as a replacement for my ex when she wore out her Win 1906.   Seemed like a pretty good clone and well made at the time.   She only shot it once though before we parted company, so it's been sitting in its box in a closet ever since bought except for that one outing.    I don't shoot 22 rimfire anymore.

I've had just the opposite experience with a couple of Taurus revolvers though.   Bought a 431 44 Special snubbie and 606 357MAG ported snubbie about 10-11 years ago, and both were very reliable for me.   Didn't shoot the 431 much so eventually traded it, but the 606 has seen use and I still consider it my favorite carry revolver.   It's never missed a beat when target shooting, so I have no problem relying on it for carry.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus