Author Topic: Silver Bullets!! 30gr Calhoon Hornet Bullets  (Read 3442 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Silver Bullets!! 30gr Calhoon Hornet Bullets
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 12:37:40 PM »
Both days I've shot them over the chrono were bright days, used sky screens, so there shouldn't be a problem, but I have had issues with 17hmr bullets being detected accurately, the black tipped Federals worked fine, but the red tipped Hornadys don't :-\, I've had to mark them black to get a reading. :D But the green/gold Remingtons were working fine on the last trip that I shot the Calhoons. ???

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bob A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 01:13:09 PM »
Tim wrote:

"I wanted to use Lil'gun but looking at Hodgdon's data for it, start loads are 12gr except one, and max loads  are 13gr for any bullet they list for the Hornet, so not having any data to work with except the Calhoon data, I'm using H110. I noticed this warning from Hodgdon on H110 and W296..."

I have been working with Speer 33 gr TNTs and 40 gr VMax loads in my Hornet. Speer's load data for the 33 gr TNT and Lil'Gun starts at 13.5 with a max of 14.0.

Hornady's data for the 40 VMax goes to 13.7 Lil'Gun.

So far, I have only been able to load up to 13.5 gr. I just can't get anymore in the case. I'm finding the boat tail VMax is a little easier to load with a full case.

Accuracy seems to get better with a compressed load but I am still working on a loading technique. I've never tried to load a completely full case. Anyone have suggestions?

Bob A

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 01:16:19 PM »
The only advice I can offer other than neck sizing only with a Lee collet die, is to use Rem brass, it's has more capacity than Win, just enough!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain