Author Topic: extractors are "less than desirable"  (Read 2009 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
extractors are "less than desirable"
« on: June 09, 2007, 07:45:41 AM »
Wow,
After 2 years of chasing 223 empties from my ejector barrel and now 25 rounds through the new 357 barrel I would have to say, "man, I miss my ejector". 

I can't imagine trying to fumble a second shot with the extractor barrel.  This goes into the "what were they thinking category".  Granted I was one of the guys clamoring for a 7.62x39 barrel so that I could shoot surplus in it.  I never bought one and in a weird way I regret it because I handload now.

Still, this extractor is for the birds. 

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
Re: extractors are "less than desirable"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 08:05:01 AM »
You must Really NOT like birds...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:35:19 AM »

Everybody has their preferences....For me..the benefits of the extractor outweigh the " fast second shot " capability..If I know I'll need the second shot..I'll use a gun that will give it to me..without having to break it open to begin with..Granted..for what these guns were designed for..having the ejectors in a shotgun configuration makes more sense..but as a rifle..it doesn't to me..They weren't never designed with speed in mind...because they are still a break action single shot...Still..it is more convenient to have it pop out into your hand than having to pull it out...and it does take some getting used to..Too bad they listened to their lawyers and bean counters and cheapened it...instead they worried at being sued from flying shell cases and didn't want to fix the problems with the rough chambers and burrs on the ejectors and the ejector housing...

How about a petition letter to Marlin/NEF asking to reconsider..? I don't know if it will help..but they may be listening now..so it might not hurt.. ?

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 09:18:49 AM »
I remember a short time back that everyone was knocking the ejector and saying how the new extractor will cure all the ejector problems of failure to eject.  This is a classic case of being careful what you wish for.  A Rossi has it both ways, if the ejector spring fails to eject the case, opening the rifle fully mechanically pushes on the ejector and forces the case out of the chamber.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:25:02 AM »

A Rossi has it both ways

True...but it isn't a Handi is it.... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously..do you think a Handi could be made to have it both ways? That would be interesting to say the least..

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:38:29 AM »
....  A Rossi has it both ways, if the ejector spring fails to eject the case, opening the rifle fully mechanically pushes on the ejector and forces the case out of the chamber.  Larry

Now this is a well thought out idea.
And why didn't NEF do this? ::) :-\

-Aaron

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 10:11:16 AM »
I like the ejector best,maybe because of the single shot shotguns I've shot.Using one with the extractor is a big distraction to me,just can't get used to them.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »
Some people are never happy and would bitch if hung with a brand new rope.  ;D

Those of us who shoot the multi-thousand dollar over and under shotguns at skeet have ejectors and hold our hands over the shells to prevent them from being ejected so we can then manually extact them ourselves. I just did it for 75 rounds today at skeet. Every other shooter I noticed on the range today was also shooting an O/U and doing exactly the same thing. Even tho we've bought guns with ejectors we really prefer to manually extract them ourselves.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 10:51:25 AM »
yeah, I miss the old ejectors also. I'm glad I got most of the barrels I wanted when they still had the ejectors on them.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
I don't mind either one, my biggest problem is switching back and forth on multiple rifles at the range, makes for some very embarrassing moments!! :-\

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 11:16:27 AM »
I don't own a Handi with extractor and won't.  Therefore I don't guess I'll be buying an more Handis.  I'll miss them.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 12:13:01 PM »
Extractors are great at the range, and in the field are better than a stuck case.
That said, I'd rather have an ejector that ejects every time and catch the brass if I'm not in a hurry. I do wish my Handis were as trotterlg described the Rossi system.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »
I prefer ejectors and don't own a Handi barrel with an extractor and never will if I can manage that. With a clean and polished chamber (polished only if necessary) there is no problem with the ejectors. You can always convert an ejector to and extractor, temporarily or permanently if you desire, but unfortunately not the other way around. Those that complained until we were all forced to have extractors on new barrels and guns were selfish and foolish. H&R saw a way to save money so they did, now the rest of us, the majority, must suffer....<><....:(

come on you mechanical wizards, please figure out a way to convert an extractor barrel to an ejector so the majority will be satisfied. But isn't that the way this whole country has been going lately, the minority rules and makes the changes...the majority pays for the changes and suffers.......
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 01:54:40 PM »
OK, first off, I kinda like the extractor.  second, what happened to all the hype about "you only need one shot", if this is true, then who cares how fast you can reload?

Some are never happy.  I'd rather have this than keeping a steel rod in my pocket, to extract the case for you.

You want fast follow-up, buy a levergun!  wait, I own 3 already!
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline goodwrench6710

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 01:57:59 PM »
Is it just the Handi rifle or do the shotguns have extractors too? I haven't looked at any new H&R shotguns. My 12 guage has an ejector & really kicks out a casing. My Handi has an extractor & with a scope on it, it's kinda a pain. It wouldn't keep me from buying another one (rifle), but wouldn't buy one for certain types of hunting.

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 02:00:49 PM »
I wish they would do ejectors on rimmed cases and extractors on rimless, I see no need for extractors on rimmed cases except to streamline production.   My older 223 barrel always extracts, but never ejects the case even though it tries.  

That said, I hit myself in the face more than once with an empty 45-70 case, if the recoil did not wake me up, the case in the face would.  Maybe NEF is just saving me from myself.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 02:10:17 PM »
H&R said they would be switching ALL of their single shots to extractors eventually, centerfire rifles first, then shotguns and rimfires. They may have changed their mind on the shotguns and rimfires since they told us that, but only time will tell.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 04:09:26 PM »
WOW

I must have touched a nerve.

As the one who started this thread, let me say that the fast follow up shot isn't my main gripe with the extractor.  It is plucking the bitty 357 brass that is only sticking up 1/8".  That being said, I am stoked to have the 360 brass onhand and ready to load next week.  For what it is worth the brass doesn't not look very malleable (it looks/feels hardened).  I am wondering if the early case failures with Starline might be true.

Everyone always says that I complain a lot (I'll remember the hanging with a new rope).  I just like things to be the best that they can be.  It pisses my wife off that I take everything apart.  I made the 6V Power Wheels Volkswagon into a 12V.  I got a used dining room set and refinished it instead of buying a crap new one (but it took 18 months).  I take all rifles apart to refinish and bed.  Ah, and the Camaro..........

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 04:16:53 PM »
Was just thinking that I must have been lucky.  I never had any failure to eject issues except once with a some 223 handloads that still had lube on them (hot off the presses so to speak)

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 04:33:38 PM »
Just don't bring your own rope.  :o :D :D :D
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 04:45:35 PM »

There was a time..when the dreaded F.T.E. was rampant...A-lot of it because  replacing a very strong spring with a weak one..because of complaints of how far the brass flew out and would hit people in the face( Duh)...When they did this..people found out just how crappy of a polishing job they we getting on the chambers..some where extremely rough..and I remember some of the pictures guys posted on them..So..in order to get them to eject..the wizards at NEF decided to kill 3 birds with 1 change..Make them all extractors....(1) save money on building them because it's cheaper to build the extractor than ejector )...(2)..Save money on labor by replacing the rough chambered barrels with replacement barrels...(3)..Save money from the so-called potential lawsuits waiting to happen...

Now..I'm no rocket scientist..(even though I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.. :D :D :D )...but...My belief is that they just wanted to save money...What do you think... ;)

Mac

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 04:57:59 PM »
Mac, I work at Wal-Mart, every bone in my body is suspicious of "changes for my own good".

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" (usually whether you like it or not)

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 06:54:51 PM »

There was a time..when the dreaded F.T.E. was rampant...A-lot of it because  replacing a very strong spring with a weak one..because of complaints of how far the brass flew out and would hit people in the face( Duh)...When they did this..people found out just how crappy of a polishing job they we getting on the chambers..some where extremely rough..and I remember some of the pictures guys posted on them..So..in order to get them to eject..the wizards at NEF decided to kill 3 birds with 1 change..Make them all extractors....(1) save money on building them because it's cheaper to build the extractor than ejector )...(2)..Save money on labor by replacing the rough chambered barrels with replacement barrels...(3)..Save money from the so-called potential lawsuits waiting to happen...

Now..I'm no rocket scientist..(even though I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.. :D :D :D )...but...My belief is that they just wanted to save money...What do you think... ;)

Mac

I think that about sums it up.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:01 PM »
My 204 has an extractor I don't like it but I deal with it. I will be a sad day if and when they convert the rim fires to extractors. It is bad enough pulling that 204 round out of the chamber I could not even imagine how bad it would would be with a rim fire. I would like to get a 17 HMR I better get one while they still offer them in the ejector. Yes I do think they found an excuse to save money.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 07:24:56 PM »
Well.....................I work for Boeing in Seattle, I have learned one thing in 30 years:  Good for Boeing = Bad for Larry, Bad for Boeing = Good for Larry.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2007, 08:09:02 PM »
At first the change over to extractor was unwelcome to me. But after more use I personally don't mind them anymore. It is a pain in the A$$ to find all the chunked 223 brass and 30-06 brass that my barrels spit out at the range.
So in essence and to each his own it applies:
 -If your a varmint shooter or a target fiend, the extractor is a welcome addition.
 -In the field I would prefer an ejector...but by the time I have another shot loaded up the deer are already in the thicket. So I guess the question to me is ..so what? I think it's the smoothness of the ejector in the heat of a hunt that makes many of us think it's necessary. If you didn't hit it with the first shot, then there is almost %90 that you won't do it with your next shot cause it's on the move fast... Unless you are firing from some extended ranges....then many animals can be really dumb. No I idea with whats wizzing by them ::) 8)

-Aaron

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 12:52:57 AM »
I don't much like the extractors. I only have one extractor bbl (.223). I grew up with a Topper 12 ga and always liked to see the shell popping out over my shoulder (Still do). Even though I handload and collect my shells now, I don't like not having the option of flinging them out of the chamber, even though I usually catch them before they do.

Reminds me of what they did to my 2000 Ford Explorer - First time I brought it in for service after the Firestone tire debacle, they restricted the top MPH on it. I don't NEED to go over that speed, but I'd rather not be artificially limited if I WANT to.

Changing the rimfire guns over to extractors seems a bit pointless. I think their sales of rimfires will suffer greatly if they do. Not many guys want to grow long fingernails...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 03:50:08 AM »
Will each new NEF gun come with its own little screwdriver you can use to pry out the shell? :)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 04:07:52 AM »

Reminds me of what they did to my 2000 Ford Explorer - First time I brought it in for service after the Firestone tire debacle, they restricted the top MPH on it.

Ford has been doing that with almost their entire vehicle line since 91...A $300 new computer will solve that and most other fuel management issues with them...I had to do it when I added a 3"  Saleen Cobra dual exhaust system..larger fuel ejectors & rail and a 15lb turbo to my 98 V6 Mustang..

Mac

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2007, 05:41:24 AM »
"Well.....................I work for Boeing in Seattle, I have learned one thing in 30 years:  Good for Boeing = Bad for Larry, Bad for Boeing = Good for Larry.  Larry"

LOL
I will have to remember that one.