Author Topic: Which 9x18 Mak platform?  (Read 2368 times)

Offline Robert357

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Which 9x18 Mak platform?
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:33:35 AM »
I am thinking with getting a semi-auto in 9x18 Mak.  I was wondering what folks think is on of the better handguns in the caliber.

I was thinking about an eastern block, possibly east german Makarov, but then I saw the Hungarian FEG PA-63 at an incredibly low price.  What concerned me about the FEG was that it was an alloy frame.  Light is nice, but I don't want anything that might come apart. 

I am looking for accuracy and reliability in 9x18mm in a small package.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline rockbilly

Re: Which 9x18 Mak platform?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
Take a look at the Polish P-64.  Great copy of the PPK, and very reasonably priced (about $150. or less).  It is a thin, single stack 9x18, very reliable, good finish and fairly accurate for this class of pistol.  If you are going with the "pure" Makorov style, then I would recommend the East German model.  

I bought two of the P-64s at a gun show several years ago, gave one to my son and kept one.  We have fired at least 6-7 hundred rounds through them and had no mechanical, or feed problems.  I can consistently keep in the vital area of a man sized target at 20-30 yards. It will make a great house gun, or concealed carry if you want to stay small.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 01:47:44 PM »
I have a PA-63, lite and accurate. at 20 yards can keep a clip on a 10x10 sheet of paper.  an great carry gun.  I've also had a p64 polish and others.  The Markarov design is good and dependable as is the FEG.  Any of those make a great carry gun, I personally like the pa-63

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 07:47:50 AM »
Many years ago I found a East German Mak in a gun store and jumped on it like white on rice. Never regretted it. Gun Test Magazine had just done an article on them and the German Mak was the best by far. The Russian came in second. I also found a Chinese Mak (it came in last) and couldn't believe what a piece of junk it was.

Probably the only 9x18 better than the German Mak is the CZ 83. And it will have better sights.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:20:32 AM »
CZ-82 but its bigger than a Makarov! PS I've been carrying a PA-63 but you will need a new spring kit! recoil and hammer!

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 06:09:14 PM »
You can't beat the e. ger mak. I own 2 and wouldn't be without one. Great carry pistol. Makarov.com has some nice guns for sell.
DaveShooter ;D ;D ;D

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »
I was at a gun show today and a PA63 jumped off the table and told me I needed to take it home.  What could I do?  I paid my money and took it home after buying a box of Wold and a box of Hornady HP ammo for it.  Tomorrow, I check out things out at the range (I hope).

I showed it to a friend who has a PPK/S and he was amazed at how similar it was to his Walther.

Any suggestions on best ammo, holsters etc.?

Offline lucky guy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 09:48:11 AM »
I am thinking with getting a semi-auto in 9x18 Mak.  I was wondering what folks think is on of the better handguns in the caliber.

I was thinking about an eastern block, possibly east german Makarov, but then I saw the Hungarian FEG PA-63 at an incredibly low price.  What concerned me about the FEG was that it was an alloy frame.  Light is nice, but I don't want anything that might come apart. 

I am looking for accuracy and reliability in 9x18mm in a small package.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks

I've got one and like it alot.  For the price it's a great gun.  I've never heard of one coming apart.  They were used as a police issue sidearm for the hungarian police. 

It's light - good and bad.  Great for carry, but I put a wolf spring kit in it to tame the recoil a little bit.  It made alot of difference.  I'ts very accurate for its size, for me it points really well without having to sight it. 

Never had a fte or ftf with the 1000 or so rounds I've put through it.  Only thing I don't like is the availability of 9x18 ammo choices.  I'm thinking about putting a 380 barrel on it to solve that.

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 07:32:41 AM »
I'd opt for the tried and true Makarov. All the others are just wannabe's! lol
I love my russian commercial mak (hi-cap double stack magazines). I've got several hundred rounds through it. I had a few issues at first, because of the cheap Pro-Mag magazines....but the originals work great with ZERO malfunctions of any kind. Very accurate, decent trigger in D/A but quite nice in S/A.

lots of helpful info on makarov.com and parts and accessories, too!

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:47:43 PM »
I ordered the Wolf Spring kit and got the 13# recoil/slide spring (replaces an 11# factory spring) and the 3 spring trigger/hammer kit (9#, 11# & 13# to replace 14# to 16# factory spring that causes hard double action pull).

The kit installed in just a couple of minutes.  I put the 9# trigger/hammer spring in and loved the very reasonable double action pull of the trigger.  Took it to the range and shoot Wolf Classic Ammo (laquered steel case) of out about 25 rounds had 4 that did not fire.  They all had dents on the primers, but less than those that discharged.  Got home cleaned the PA-63 and then installed the 11# spring.  More difficult double action pull, but still better than original.  Hope it cures all the missfire problems.

Now I am looking for a good holster for the PA-63.  Since the major holster manufacturers don't list the PA-63, I have been looking at PPK & Sig 232 suitable holsters under the thought that they will likely be close to fitting.  I have an Uncle Mike's Side Kick #1 that I use for a Colt 1903 32 Auto and my PA-63 fits well in it, but was wanting something a little more concealed carry for the PA-63.  (I have a CPL)

Any suggestions?

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 05:47:42 PM »
The 11# spring works great on the Wolf Classic Military Ammo. 

I went to a gun show and got an Uncle Mike's inside the pants holster and it seems to work well in a behind the hip strong side placement.  A real problem to reholster, but the draw seems just fine and it doesn't seem to be a comfort problem.

I have been reloading with Starline brass and Honady 95 Grain XTP bullets and winchester small pistol primers.  3.4 grains of Hogdon Titegroup seems powerful enough but not too assertive.  The key to reliable operation seems to be OAL and the OAL that works best for me is a bit shorter than the manuals 0.965 inch value.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 03:05:27 AM »
Don Hume holsters, They make a holster that I like very well for the pa-63 sits tight against the body and holds the handgun well , its the JIT Slide model.  It's outside the pants (I don't like inside the pants, (got enough there)) and you can hid the gun with a T Shirt.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »
Don Hume holsters, They make a holster that I like very well for the pa-63 sits tight against the body and holds the handgun well , its the JIT Slide model. 

I was looking at the JIT Slide models and there appear to be two that might be the ones you were suggesting.  One is for the Walther PPK/S and called the JIT Slide Model 18.    The other is for the Makarov 9x18 and is called the JIT Slide Model 59. 

Which is the specific model that you found works well?

Thanks.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
The one I have is for the PPK.

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 12:21:32 PM »
I have looked at the pa63 just as a plinker but i am sure recoil would be  pretty stiff. I have held and shot a russian markov didn't like it at all didn't fit me well. I have not shot or held the p-64 so no real opinions on it. I have held even though it is bigger the CZ 82 and basically a CZ 83 and it fit me better than the rest so I would go for something a bit bigger like the CZ 82 if this is the cal i was going to carry.

Terry

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 11:34:07 AM »
The PA-63 is not a good plinker.  But it is a good easy to carry self-defense gun; a little lite on the power for some people but the Communist block used it for their military and they thought that it was just fine.  The gun is light weight and easy to carry very dependable and accurate but not a plinker.

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 11:50:58 AM »
unfortunately i live in IL and cannot carry legally though and if i could i do like the pa 63 or the CZ 82 or 83 these would be my choices.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 07:27:23 PM »
The one I have is for the PPK.
OK, so it is that one.  Thanks!  I have an inside the waistband holster for my PA-63, that works pretty well.  When I use it, I wear an oversized fleece jacket.  I figure that it I am going to wear such a big cover-up, I might as well have the pistol outside the belt and quicker to get to.

I was at the range Sunday and shooting the PA-63, a 22 Browning Buckmark target and a couple of 357 magnums.  With the spring set and some getting use to the PA-63 isn't too bad to shoot.  It is a handful and the recoil is stout, but it is still managable.  Sort of an acquired taste or talent.

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 05:23:48 AM »
I have looked at the pa63 just as a plinker but i am sure recoil would be  pretty stiff.  I have held and shot a russian markov didn't like it at all didn't fit me well. I have not shot or held the p-64 so no real opinions on it. I have held even though it is bigger the CZ 82 and basically a CZ 83 and it fit me better than the rest so I would go for something a bit bigger like the CZ 82 if this is the cal i was going to carry.

Terry

Give 'em another chance. The russian makarovs seem to have the WORST grip out there (blocky/square). Try a bulgy, e. german, etc....or swap out the grips on a russian with some nice pearce grips. It COMPLETELY changes the feel of the firearm.  ;D

Offline Illhunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 11:43:51 AM »
I would have to try one with different grips cause i didn't like the feel of the one i shot whatsoever. I like the CZ although larger it felt more comfortable for me at least maybe i need to shoot the E.G> makarov to see if it fits better.

Terry