Author Topic: deer whompers!!  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
deer whompers!!
« on: June 11, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »
been playing with a tc carbine in 4570. It really shoots a 540wfngc ballisticast mold bullet. This bullet weights about 550 sized and lubed out of #2 and thats what ive been shooting them at. Load ive been using pushes them to about 1200 fps out of the 18 inch barrel. Recoil isnt bad at all. Today i strated experimenting with casting them as soft nosed bullets. I first tried a 32 sw long case then a 32 mag and settled on a 38 special as the proper dipper. It fills out the nose about perfectly. Running two pots and pourning the nose first then immediately pourning the base out of #2 ive been getting perfect bullets with no visable flaws. Just a definate devideing line where the nose and bodys but up no cracks just a differnce in colar as the nose is alot brighter. I havent weighted the noses but im guessing theres about 200 grains of pure lead in them. The bullet as casted without lube or checks are going a very consisntant 550 grain. That big wfn with that pure nose has got to put a hurting on anything a guy would put it into.
blue lives matter

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: deer whompers!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:38:05 AM »
What? no Pictures???? ???
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
A 550 gr. bullet for deer??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?  Well, I'm just gonna hafta throw away my 25-06!!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:24:59 PM »
  lloyd, you have just GOT TO shoot some of those into wet paper to see what happens. I made some of those soft nosed bullets for my 35Whelen. I first shot them at 25 yards into wet phone books with great results.BUT I did not stop them in about 2 feet of wet books.! I got better results at 100 yards, catching 2 or 3 in about 19 or 20 inches. Expansion was over half inch,bullets were between .5 and .6" from a .358" start. NOT classic mushrooms,but still recognizable with the nose flattened.They blew the wet bales off the table. 250 grain molds with about a third being pure lead and the rest # 2 alloy. I tried BruceB's method over on cast boolits. It works but IS slow. Only needing a dozen soft nose for a couple years hunting makes it worth trying though!

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 03:22:58 PM »
the recoil is not bad .. I am glad to hear that, ..I bet it will Whomp one ! cool
dk

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »
Now I feel under gunned with my 405 grainer's.  Well this is an easy way to justify a new mould.  Tom.

Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 02:02:32 AM »
its me that feels undergunned shooting them in a tc and looking at that absoutley beautiful sharps!!!!
Now I feel under gunned with my 405 grainer's.  Well this is an easy way to justify a new mould.  Tom.

blue lives matter

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 04:59:45 PM »
If you've got it, flaunt it!  That's a really nice looking rifle.....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 01:10:38 PM »
A sharps rifle and a freedom arms handgun are on my life list of must have guns.  More than one of each if I marry money.

Chris