Author Topic: Extra cylinder for ROA  (Read 1704 times)

Offline radio2

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Extra cylinder for ROA
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »
Can you buy an extra cylinder for a ROA ?

Offline PeashooterJoe

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Extra cylinder for ROA
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 04:43:49 PM »
Ruger wants you to send it back to them to fit a replacement cylinder. Good Luck..

Offline radio2

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »
Ruger wants you to send it back to them to fit a replacement cylinder. Good Luck..

So what does that mean?  I just want a second cylinder so I can load it and shoot!

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:36:44 AM »

So what does that mean?  I just want a second cylinder so I can load it and shoot!

Ruger will not sell a cylinder alone without fitting it to the revolver it is to be used in. That's their policy. So if you wanna buy one, you gotta play by Ruger's rules.  :'(

Offline 2gundavid

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 05:56:18 PM »
There is a company in Texas that makes cylinders for the ROA.They are called classicballistic good web site.I've done business with them;and they are great people.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:07 AM »
Years back extra cylinders were available, but Ruger soon started demanding that they be fit at the factory.  About 10 years ago, I actually called, and was given a price of 120.00 to supply and fit a new cylinder.  I found a Remington Repro for less, so I have two guns intead of one gun with two cylinders.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:40:42 AM »
so I have two guns intead of one gun with two cylinders.

Hummmm.  To my way of thinkin now you need TWO extra cylinders!   ;) ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:07:10 AM »
I had a stainless steel conversion cylinder fitted to my ROA by Taylor's.  Now I can shoot 45 Colt and Cap&Ball.  I believe revolvers fitted with both types of cylinders were common, if not popular, following the Civil War, you just never new what you were going to find in the way of ammo back in the day.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »
Now I can shoot 45 Colt and Cap&Ball.

Oops!   :o  Now by my way of thinking you need FOUR extra cylinders!!!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:27:44 AM »
Not to pirate this thread but...

At least with my 5 1/2 inch fixed sighted SS ROA, it shoots to point of aim with the 45 Colt Conversion and 200gr Cowbow loads, but shoots low with C&B.  Have not shot it enough, with C&B 147gr ball, so I can do a Kentucky windage calibration.  However, if I could ever find them the heavier C&B conicals may shoot closer to POA.  If I were to get another C&B cylinder, I've read of custom cylinders bored out to accept larger doses of BP. 

As an aside, I was experiencing many misfires with my ROA using CCI #11 caps, switching to Remington #10 caps has made this C&B revolver 100% on the line.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 04:28:39 AM »
The Classicbalistix mentioned above are already bored deeper and the ones I have easily hold 45 gr of 3f and I've used 4f for estra kick. I have 2 and they fit and fired perfect.  It's nice to shoot 3 rounds between reloads and with a cylinder press I can rapidly load another 3 rounds. 

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:36:26 AM »
I have an Ideal mold for a 456 diameter 190 grain cylinder shaped bullet that works quite well in the ROA.  It is slightly heavier than the 45-70 collar button bullets and has three grease grooves.  best part, it is only .460 long so it really takes up the same room in the cylinder as the round balls.