Author Topic: Realistic accuracy?  (Read 1268 times)

Offline crabo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Realistic accuracy?
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »
I was wondering what my goals should be for cast bullets at 50 and 100 yards.  I am working up loads for a 357 and a 44.  Both guns are S&W.  Both guns have cylinders opened up, firelapped and good triggers.  I am using cast bullets from Montana Bullet Works that are plain based and some will be gas checked.  I have a Luepold 2.5x8 mounted when I am shooting for groups from a bench.

The question is what is a realistic goal?  I tried a bunch of different loads with a commercial caster's bb 158 swc, sized 358, and only had one load that would go sub 2" at 50 yards.  Most were 2 1/2 to 4".  I have not read good things about the bb swc.  It also seems that a heavier bullet in the two calibers are often more accurate than the standard heavy load.  Bullets heavier than 158 in 357, and heavier than 240 in the .44.

Am I on the right track?  I am really enjoying this hunt for accuracy, but I don't want to searching for something that is unobtainable. 

Thanks,

Crabo

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Realistic accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:47:55 PM »
  crabo, what are your groups like with jacketed or factory ammo. I do NOT like the BB bullets ,getting the lead out is a PAIN! I get groups smaller than an inch with some of my cast bullets in SOME of my guns. Maybe a change in bullet design ,not weight will help. Even a change in HOW you hold the gun will change group sizes. Barrel length is not the issue here. I saw a man shoot a snubby 38 revolver at 200 yards that grouped under 3 inches ! Hand loads and a few sand bags definetly helped. Realistically  though, are you looking to have FUN or shoot tiny groups? Are your  bullets SIZED for the throats of the cylinders? Montana makes a decent bullet,but I cast and size my own! That could make a difference also.  I wish I could be more help
   http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/revolver_bullet_size.htm

Offline crabo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »
I am having lots of fun!  The thing that I am looking for is... confidence in my dot.  I want to know that when I miss a target, it is my fault and not the gun or loads fault.  When I start second guessing my sights and holds, I miss a lot.  I shot a lot of Sportsman's Team Challenge, IPSC, Speedplates, and shotgun games.

Right now I have gotten into Silhouette shooting.  I am wanting to work up a load for Hunter's pistol.
It is a challenge to only have one shot for one target.  I have more bullets, I think I should be able to use them.  I quit shooting for about 10 years and have just started again.   I am having a blast.  I also want to get back into hunting.  I have taken several deer with a pistol, plus coyotes, and lots of small game.

Thanks,

Craig

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:04:27 AM »
I believe that 1" or less at 50 yards is doable.

I would recommend staying away from Bevel Base bullets, they tend to not be as accurate. I recommend a GC or Flat base bullet.

Try the Hollow Base wadcutters at modest velocity for accuracy.

I would recommend the 168 gr wadcutter.

Offline rvtrav

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 03:05:44 PM »
  Crabo,

I have found that bullet lubes can make a crucial difference in accuracy as well, mostly based upon the velocity and whether or not it is gas checked.

The hard "plastic-ish" commercial lubes tend to lead, and 'strip' the rifling easier, both the hard lube and the bevel base are often found when buying cast bullets because it is easier to manufacture and store large quantities for commercial enterprise.

The soft beeswax and alox lubes work better for velocity and accuracy, but, unless you are lubing the bullets yourself at the time of loading they have some downsides. They tend to melt off the bullets and collect lint and dust, unless kept in a cold (refrigerator) and in containers that can be sealed.

Accuracy for me in handguns is often every bit as good as with jacketed bullets.

Consistent weights and bullets free of casting defects are a must as well.  lead hardness can come into play if they are too soft leading and "stripping" of the rifling can happen at even modest velocities.

good shooting, don't be afraid to experiment with different brands, or especially casting your own-Rvtrav

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 01:45:59 AM »
I've tried a lot of different lubes and the one I found to be best for non-leading and accuracy at any velocity is the

LBT Blue Lube

Offline crabo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 04:37:36 AM »
Well, I started my "book" last night.  I decided to keep detailed records of my journey for accuracy.  I have 5 different bullets and 4 powders for my .357.  I started with 38 special cases and loaded a bunch of different charge weights.  I then used the target dots and copier paper and had a fresh target for each load.  I did all of the shooting at 50 yards.  There is an indoor range near my house with a 50 yard rifle range.  The target carrier is motorized with a decent bench and comfortable chairs.  There is also an outdoor range nearby with a 200 yard line where I hope to end up.

I learned quite a bit by bringing home my stack of targets and measuring them. 

1.  I noticed that the LBT 160 FN outshot the other bullets in the 158- 160 grain group.  The longer bearing surface is noticeable when you inspect the bullets.

2.  A lot of the loads opened up when you put max charges on them.

3.   Bevel based bullets are of the devil.  Cheap bullets equals bad accuracy. (best reserved for shooting plates and targets that are 25 yards and under.)

4.  Firelapping a barrel really helps keep it clean.  There was unburned powder, but no evidence of leading.  Of course, I wasn't pushing anything over 1000 fps.   Higher velocities will come with magnum cases.

5.  Keeping records is a better way than trying to remember everything.

The next step is to load up a bunch of .357s and will try them with the different loads and powders.
I am following the advice given to me, here and in PMs, and I am ordering some heavier bullets for the 357.

After the 357, my pc 44 is next.  I posted a couple pictures of it. 

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Crabo

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »
good deal on the record keeping! I do that for all my guns!

if you're interested in trying some 210 gr bullets for your 357 let me know.

(they shoot really good in my 357 mag lever gun....)

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
here ya go!

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »
the group in the upper right corner is 7 shots and two lower

and the center group is 4 shots.

all at 50 yards.

Offline crabo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »
Here are my 2 best groups loaded in 38 cases, shot at 50 yards.  The top one is a LBT 160 FN and the lower group is the same bullet with 4.6 of Unique.  If I measured right, they should both be about 1".  I measured from the center to center of the two farthest holes.  The targa dots are 2".

I have started loading my magnum cases loading Unique, 2400, and #9 for the next go around.  I am using a RCBS 158 RFP, a RCBS 158 SWC, and the LBT 160 FP in both plain base and gas checked.
So far the LBT is winning the race.  I  bought these bullets from Montanna Bullet works and have ordered some 173 grain Kieths and a 185 FN GC from Beartooth.

I realize that I need to load the cheap bevel based bullets for plates and 25 yards and under and save the good stuff dor the longer ranges.

Crabo

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 12:37:13 AM »
one inch at 50? Maybe but youve lucked into a great gun and load and your probably going to need a scope to do it. My REALISTIC accuracy criteriea for a revolver is 2 inch at 25 4 inch at 50 and 6-8 inch at a 100. Now im talking sand bags no machine rest and open sights. Granted ive got many guns that do better. Some will blow one hole at 25 but when you get out to 50 theres just to many other variables like the fact that my old eyes dont see the sights like they used to and i refuse to put a scope on a 6 gun. My benching technique is such that my groups and poa match my off hand shooting. All i use is one bag on the bench to rest my hand holding the but on. I dont believe in working up loads with a gun locked in a ransom rest or bagged in so that it cant move as you will never duplicate that in the field anyway. What good is knowing your gun will shoot a 1 inch group at 50 yards if it wont do that in field conditions. Dont get me wrong i see nothing wrong with benching 6 guns. I probably do it more then anyone here. But my way gives me a good comparison of loads. As good as locking the gun down. I may not see 2 inch 100 yards groups but i get just as good of a comparison and dont have false hopes for my game shooting. Bottom like is that its a very rare 6 gun with any load that will shoot 2 inch 50 yard groups. Ive heard about it from many (to many). Ive had guns and loads that would do it but there rare. A gun that will do it one out of five times isnt a gun that will do it. It has to do it each and every time without discounting any flyers even if you know you pulled. Why? because you just as much a part of that package as the gun is. Just because the gun can doesnt make it a package unless you can make it do it EVERY time. If youve got a 6 gun and the ability to shoot 2 inch 50 yard groups every time take a ride up here and ill put you up  buy you beer and food and even cast your bullets and load your ammo just to watch!!! Sorry guys but ive just seen to many guys with 2 inch 50 yard revolvers and 1/4 inch 100 yard rifles that have shot one or two groups that size and claim thats what there gun shoots. Take those 1/4 rifles to the range and shoot 10 5 shot groups out of them and i find that most of them are one inch guns and about half the guys bragging arent capable of doing an inch consistantly. NO ONE is going to convince me that there capable of shooting 2 inch 50 yard groups with a sixgun consistantly that doesnt at least put a couple hundred rounds down that exact gun each and every week. It takes that much time just to learn a trigger well enough to settle in and shoot them and about 90 percent of the guns that are used dont have a trigger good enough to allow that kind of accuarcy unless its been worked on anyway. You can get angry with me for being this blunt but boys ive been there and your not talking to the guy at the bar today. Ive shot and have watched just about every sixgun made being shot on the bench and being shot by some of the best handgunners in this country and maybe theres a couple here that are better then them but im kind of doubting it. You do have my permission though to take me up on the visit and prove me wrong. Id dearly love to sit down with someone that can blow one hole at 50 yards because im never to old to learn something and never to dumb not to sell a bunch of guns to buy one that can. Show me and you probably wont be taking that gun home.
blue lives matter

Offline crabo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 02:36:37 AM »
Lloyd, It seems like maybe you seem to have misunderstood what I am doing.  I am trying to eliminate as much of the human factor as possible from my load development.  I built a sort of home made rest, that uses a sand bag in front, and I can keep my pistol frame on it, and my hands supported in the back.  I put a 2.5 to 8 Leupold scope on the gun.  I am shooting at 8 power in an indoor range that has no wind, a nice horse shoe shaped bench and office type chairs at the benches.  Nine times out of ten, there is no one there but me in the rifle range area.  I could not hold a good group with one sandbag and the human factor was way too large to tell if I had a good group, got lucky, or had a great load, but couldn't hold the gun still enough to tell.

Is this a realistic hunting position?  No it is not, but it allows me to find a load that the gun is shooting accurately.  You were the one who told me I would have to shoot the crap out of the gun to find out what load it likes.  One thing I have found out is that is that this gun is liking the LBT 160 flat point.  Once I find the best load that I can for the gun at 50 yards,  I will move my range to 100 yards and start over.   I will then take the 2.5x8 scope off and decide what kind of sights I am going to use.  Then I will practice my offhand shooting and different positions.

My eyes are beginning to go.  That's why I put fiber optics front sights, red dots and scopes on my guns.  I use a 2 power Tasco on my High Standard .22.  That's why I put my 10/22 scope on 20 power and use a bipod and a rear sandbag when testing ammo.

I also took your and Veral's advice about opening up cylinders and firelapping barrels.  It makes a difference.

If you go back and read my second post, it tells you what my goal is, and that is to have confidence in my dot.  I want to know that when I miss my target, it was because I jerked the trigger, or shook too much, or didn't have the sights aligned.  With the bevel based bullets, it was obvious by testing at 50 yards that when I hit the ram at 100 meters, it was just as much luck as it was skill.  With loads that were shooting 4-6 inches at 50 yards, they had to be doing a minimum of double that at 100.  How can you ever expect to hit anything when you margin of error can be 10" because of your equipment?

I have not met you, but I respect your experience and knowledge about shooting handguns and cast bullets.  It kinda chaps my ass that I am accused of bench racing and lying about results because I have tried to eliminate the human error.  I thank you for being instrumental in helping to send me down the path to cast bullet accuracy and performance.  I am suprised that it turned into an ethics discussion on how to shoot groups from the bench and how to test your groups for accuracy.  Kinda reminds me of the fence hunting issue from the handgun hunting forum.

Thanks,

Crabo

Offline Blammer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 06:14:40 AM »
Lloyd- I'm not out to convince you of anything, since you won't be convinced, that eliminates a BUNCH of typing and Pic posting for me. Thanks!

why do I test for accuracy on a bench and not shoot field positions when load developing? hmm I think you can figure that one out.

when I develop a load that shoots 1 inch at 50 yards, I load a bunch of that combo then shoot a few for accuracy check on the loads then practice with them, knowing that I have a good set up and if I miss or can't shoot that day it's not the gun and ammo, it's me.

Crabo- I think you're gonna find a great load with the procedures your following. When you find that combo, load up a bunch and blast away! I know I do!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 07:17:14 AM »
If you guys would have read my post carefully you would have found that i said that i spend probably more time then anyone on here on the bench. My technique has been used by me for two reasons first it requires alot less adjusting of sights as my rest technique mirrors my off hand shooting and it may not show me that my gun is capable of 1/2 inch groups, but then ive never seen a use for that level of accuracy anyway, but what it will do is show me just as well as any other method a good comparison between loads. I know my abilitys and I can see just as much by comparing a 1 inch group to a 1.5 inch group with my method as you can by noticing the diffence in a 1/2 inch group and a one inch group with yours. The biggest advantage to just resting your hand on a  bag and leaving the gun touch nothing is it forces you to learn trigger control which is the heart of any pistol shooting. If you can hold your gun good enough to squeeze off a good shot resting your hand on a bag what chance do you have of ever learning to use your trigger properly in the field. Benching is the best time to practice your trigger control and sight alignment and to me if my gun is all bagged up or locked down where the sights dont move your foolling yourself if you think your practicing trigger control and wasting some real good practice time. I dont give rats *** if my gun shoots one inch groups at 50 yards. I care alot more if i can stand up like a man and hit what im shooting at with a gun at those ranges. A guy cant take a ransom rest into the field. Ive shot and loaded for handguns for years and spent my share of time wasted at a bench until i wized up and found out the most important part of load developement is the man behind the trigger. A 4 inch 50 yard gun is alot more deadly in the hands of someone that can put them in 4 inches off hand every time then a 1 inch 50 yard gun is in the hands of someone that jerks the trigger when shooting a big load. The biggest lesson i learned with this trian of thought was when i started shooting the real big guns. Ive seen to many people shoot 1 inch groups with a 500 that cant hit a 4x4 target at 50 yards with it. Now im sure ill get flamed some more by the guys that think theyve mastered there gun and trigger and dont need practice or figure there shooting a box of ammo every week is enough practice but I been shooting probably a 1000 rounds a week for many years and i can still use the practice and am not going to waste my time trying to get a gun to shoot 1/2 inch groups so i can brag to my buddys. Id rather hit a beer can at a 100 yards when there watching.
blue lives matter

Offline crabo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »
It seems to me, that you think I am not understanding what you are trying to say, and I don't think you are understanding what I am trying to say. 

I think you are saying you believe there is no real value in testing loads when you take the human element out by sandbagging up.

I am saying I want to take the human element out while I am testing loads, (because of my limitations) and then I will will practice when I find a load I like.

Therefore once again, I would like to thank you for the advice and technical insight I have gained from your postings.

Too bad we have this trouble communicating with each other.  Kinda reminds me of my wife and I when we sometimes can't communicate.

Crabo

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 08:50:55 AM »
cant you see im just like your wife and cant be talked into admitting i am wrong in any way ;D
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
I think Lloyd is much like my old best friend Billy Doss (now deceased) who's bench technique never allowed him to shoot groups to same POI as his free hand or hunting rest techinque. So Billy pretty much refused to sit down at the bench and really lock things down to determine the absolute accuracy of his loads or guns. But my that rascal could shoot and free hand shot better groups than 90% of the folks I've seen shoot were able to from a bench.

Me on the other hand I developed a bench technique that allowed me to really lock it down to take out most of the human element and yet my POI was still the same shooting free hand or from field improvised rests. So I did a lot of load development for both of us from the bench and often even sighted in Billy's guns for him cuz when he shot it free hand it hit to same POI as when I shot it from the bench. Now mine you with our competition guns we ALWAYS did the final "Nth" degree of sighting in free hand as that's the way we shot in competition. Our technique was to fire 50 rounds free hand and then determine group center and adjust as needed and fire 50 more rounds. This continued until we were satisfied with the 50 ground group center as being same as our POA. Once established we didn't mess with the load or sight adjustment again unless and until our shooting told us all was not right and that something had moved or changed.

I've owned some phenomally accurate handguns in my life time and like a fool all are now gone on to folks smarter than me who had the good sense to not pass up such an accurate gun and to hold onto it forever. I had an old S&W 686 with 8-3/8" barrel and the four position adjustable front sight on it that I named "Silver". That gun had a most uncanny knack of putting bullet after bullet into a ragged hole. I've shot way too many groups to count with that gun that measured an inch or less at 25 yards free hand mind you running the entire six in the cylinder into the group not just five. With the old Elmer Keith load using the Lyman 358156 GC bullet in .38 Special cases that gun just didn't seem capable of missing in those days. I won a huge pile of trophies and a not inconsiderable amount of money with it. Oh to take back the trade that saw that one get away from me.

Both Billy and I had S&W Model 29s with the 10-5/8" barrels with the four position adjustable front sights. Billy being smarter than me died still owning his and his step son Blake still owns it to this day. Blake's shooting buddy Tim owns mine now. I took that gun to a bunch of different states and killed a huge pile of game of all sorts with it. I won a truck load of trophies with it and a pile of money as well. One year in B'ahm, AL I won every single NRA Sponsored Hunter Pistol Iron Sight match held with that gun and no one ever even came close to winning one of the matches from me. That one too with it's favorite loads put bullets into an inch at 25 yards time after time after time. Sure me and it missed from time to time as the old fart holding it wasn't as good as the gun was and was known to flinch or just plain miss from time to time. I'm sure the gun was mad at me at such times cuz it had it in it to do it every time.

I've really never been good enough to claim to be able to shoot 2" groups at 50 yards however with iron sights. At my best in my competition days when my eyes were still good enough to see those sights I could stay in 3" pretty much all the time and in 4" every time unless one of those flinches hit me in which case I'm not sure 2' would necessarily cover it.  :o But sit me down at a bench and give me a scope on that rascal and ya better believe the groups would tightened.

I had one particular S&W 629 Classic DX that I scoped with a Bushnell 2-6 Trophy scope that was perhaps the most accurate revolver I've ever owned to include the FA guns. It was a genuine 2" 100 yard five or six shot group gun day in and day out with the load it preferred. Once when getting ready for an out of state hunt I set down to shoot a five shot group at 100 yards to verify my zero was still correct before heading on the hunt. The first three shots looked like one hole to me thru the scope and I almost stopped there to go see but didn't. I fired two more after having the fellows with me look at it thru their scopes to verify those three in a tight little cluster. Later when measured those first three were 1/2" CTC and the entire five shot group was only 1.5". That gun would shoot. Once again I sure wish I'd been smart enough to hold onto such a fine shooting piece of equipment but didn't and traded it for something I thought I wanted more.

These days my tired old eyes can't focus on the front sight anymore and good groups are merely memories for me with iron sights. My old muscles have taken too much recoil I guess for maybe mom's Parkinson's Disease is creeping up on me, dunno but my arms are no longer steady and the shakes prevent me from shooting very well even with a scope unless I lock it all down at the bench. Free hand I do good now to hold 4" groups at 25 and don't do it every time. At 50 yards it's foolish to even pretend to shoot free hand now and at 100 yards those metal rams that used to fall so regularly for me in competition would need to be the size of a buffalo to be in much danger from a free hand shot.

I've shot with and competed against the best shooters the state of Alabama developed back in my day and some of the best in other surrounding states as well. I've seen both good and bad shots and I'm here to tell ya that the majority of those who claimed to be "good" weren't nearly as good when the chips were down and the money or trophy on the line as they thought they were. In the last few years of Billy's life we had a range in his back yard that streched only to 50 meters as that's all the room there was for it. But he and I fired thousands of rounds per week down that range and each Saturday we held matches there open to anyone who wanted to show up. We had trophies bought to give to the winners. Folks came from far and wide to show us how to shoot. No one not a regular shooter with us who the two of us had taught to shoot ever walked away with a trophy from that range. Billy and I generally took one and two and someone else managed third place for the most part. It was never a sure thing which of us me or Billy would be first or second as neither of us really was better than the other it was just whichever was shooting best on that day.

With .22LR handguns we shot the little 1/5 scale NRA rifle silhouettes at 25, 37, 42 and 50 meters using iron sight guns only and free hand only. If you wanted a trophy that day you better not miss many of them. We had a little chicken swinger I'd bought and we shot that sucker so many times it pushed the sides back and made it look like a cup until it finally broke off the arm and we welded it back after pounding it flat and did it again a few more times.

How much did we shoot? Dunno but we bought .22LR ammo in cases of 5000 and in one summer just from what we shot in revolvers and dropped into a five gallon bucket it ran over with the empties. Both of us shot the semiautos a fair bit as well so that wasn't all of them by any means.

What does all that have to do with anything? Not much I guess just fond memories of days past when my best friend was still alive and we were the terror of the local handgun shooting circuit. Damned if we didn't have some good times together and shot untold 100s of thousands of rounds thru those guns in those days. But I do have a pretty good idea what a really good shot is capable of doing and what is mere keyboard boasting, that's fer shore cuz I've shot with some fine shooters over the years and  have a lot of first hand experience seeing what can be done with the money rides on the outcome.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 03:01:36 PM »
you guys are missing one important part of my post. Using my ideas ive shot enough that my trigger control is good enough that i shoot just as small of groups using my way of resting a gun then i do with it in bags. Ive even outshot my own guns locked in a rasom rest. Its all in the trigger control and Bill I know one thing youve obviously shot as much as me because if you shoot to the same point of aim off bags as you do off hand you have developed proper trigger control. Boys that gun can shake over 6 inches of that target and if you have proper trigger technique you will still know when to trip that sear as well as you do with the gun snuggled up in bags. If youve shot enough you will even find there are certain guns that youve shot so much off hand that the feel is just there and you will shoot as well at 25 yards off hand as you do on a bench. Ive outshot my bench groups with some guns offhand. As long as you dont try it after 2 hours of steady shooting when your tired.
blue lives matter

Offline Castaway

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »
Getting back on track to the original post, look at the Paper Patch forum under "Paper patch is accurate" and see what it cast bullets can do.